Discounts for visiting seniors in Ireland

Old June 8th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Marc Raizman

Default Discounts for visiting seniors in Ireland

What concessions/discounts a visiting senior might find when buying tickets
for travel in the Republic of Ireland's transportation network? How about
museums and other interesting sights? Other money-saving hints welcome and
greatly appreciated. Thanks and best. M

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Padraig Breathnach

"Marc Raizman" wrote:

What concessions/discounts a visiting senior might find when buying tickets
for travel in the Republic of Ireland's transportation network? How about
museums and other interesting sights? Other money-saving hints welcome and
greatly appreciated. Thanks and best. M

Google on "ireland" and "golden years" to find a lot of possibilities
-- mostly accommodation.

Certain hardware stores give a 10% discount to pensioners on Tuesdays.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Alan S

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:32:28 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

"Marc Raizman" wrote:

What concessions/discounts a visiting senior might find when buying tickets
for travel in the Republic of Ireland's transportation network? How about
museums and other interesting sights? Other money-saving hints welcome and
greatly appreciated. Thanks and best. M

Google on "ireland" and "golden years" to find a lot of possibilities
-- mostly accommodation.

Certain hardware stores give a 10% discount to pensioners on Tuesdays.

The critical word here is "visiting". I have the same
question. Other countries have senior's discounts, such as
German Rail, but it's not clear if those discounts apply to
non-citizens.

That is the real question - must you be a citizen, and, if
not, what ID in addition to passport is needed.

For example, in Oz, many senior discounts are not available
to those not receiving a government pension or holding a
"Seniors Card" from the state government. Without that
pension or card you might be 84yo but no discount.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

"Marc Raizman" wrote:

What concessions/discounts a visiting senior might find when buying tickets
for travel in the Republic of Ireland's transportation network? How about
museums and other interesting sights? Other money-saving hints welcome and
greatly appreciated. Thanks and best. M

Google on "ireland" and "golden years" to find a lot of possibilities
-- mostly accommodation.

Certain hardware stores give a 10% discount to pensioners on Tuesdays.

The critical word here is "visiting". I have the same
question. Other countries have senior's discounts, such as
German Rail, but it's not clear if those discounts apply to
non-citizens.

That is the real question - must you be a citizen, and, if
not, what ID in addition to passport is needed.

I pointed to google because I don't know the answer, but thought that
the "golden years" search term might be useful; we tend not to use the
term "seniors" in Ireland.

For example, in Oz, many senior discounts are not available
to those not receiving a government pension or holding a
"Seniors Card" from the state government. Without that
pension or card you might be 84yo but no discount.

Those aged over 66 get free travel in Ireland. That is limited to
citizens who are resident here or in NI. I don't know of any discount
scheme for visitors, but I suspect that there is none. A pensioner
with a travel pass may bring a minder, so the frugal visitor should
borrow a pensioner.

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Alan S

wrote:

"Marc Raizman" wrote:

[...]

I must remember that. Sounds like a possible business
opportunity there - rent-a-granny(or the gaelic
equivalent:-)

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Pete

I've never used the public transport in Ireland, but car rentals - if
you're 71 or older - will probably cost you a premium. On the other
hand, you can get a small amount of that back with discounts on
admission charges to various OPW "heritage" sites. Perhaps museums,
too, but I don't visit them - they're always urban-located, and I never
am.

Old June 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Alec

"Marc Raizman" wrote in message
What concessions/discounts a visiting senior might find when buying
tickets for travel in the Republic of Ireland's transportation network?
How about museums and other interesting sights? Other money-saving hints
welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks and best. M

Public transport (trains, buses, ferries etc) only give reduced rates for
pensioners (60 or 65 or over) on production of an official pass, available
only to Irish residents. But there are generally concessions to sights such
as heritage sites, museums and stately homes. They can ask for a proof of
age such as passport or driving licence, but usually you only need to say
'senior citizen' or 'concession' to get the reduced rate. If you are from an
EU country and you or your companion is disabled, your blue disabled badge
is also valid in Ireland and enables you to park in disabled bays and get
other parking concessions - if in doubt, ask a Gard(a) or traffic warden.
Also some cafeterias and restaurants have 'senior citizen' specials at
reduced price, usually for lunch (like 3-course meal for 10 euro).

Alec

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:15 AM
John Pezzano

When it comes to transportation, European countries are notoriously
unfriendly to special groups like senior citizens unless they are locals.
They figure that if you can afford to come to their country, they can afford
to make you pay full price. So mostly you have to have a resident card or
some other method that deliberately excludes foreigners.

JohnP

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
GG

"John Pezzano" wrote in message
When it comes to transportation, European countries are notoriously
unfriendly to special groups like senior citizens unless they are locals.
They figure that if you can afford to come to their country, they can
afford to make you pay full price. So mostly you have to have a resident
card or some other method that deliberately excludes foreigners.

JohnP

In France the SNCF offers two senior discounts to anyone 60 and over. The
Senior Card requires you to purchase a card that entitles you to reduced
fares for a year. The Découverte Senior fare is discounted 25% and may be
requested by anyone 60 and over purchasing a ticket. I've used it several
times between Paris and Chartres and only had to show my U.S. passport to
verify my age. There are restrictions about days, hours, trains etc. More
info at:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/info_res...guide/home.htm

GG

Old June 10th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Hatunen

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:44:21 -0400, "GG"
wrote:

"John Pezzano" wrote in message
. ..
When it comes to transportation, European countries are notoriously
unfriendly to special groups like senior citizens unless they are locals.
They figure that if you can afford to come to their country, they can
afford to make you pay full price. So mostly you have to have a resident
card or some other method that deliberately excludes foreigners.

JohnP

In France the SNCF offers two senior discounts to anyone 60 and over. The
Senior Card requires you to purchase a card that entitles you to reduced
fares for a year. The Découverte Senior fare is discounted 25% and may be
requested by anyone 60 and over purchasing a ticket. I've used it several
times between Paris and Chartres and only had to show my U.S. passport to
verify my age. There are restrictions about days, hours, trains etc. More
info at:

I have a Senior DeutscheBahn BahnCard50 which gives a 50%
discount on all DB train fares to me ands to my accompanying
family. It's good for a year and cost euro 100 (the non-senior
version is euro 200). it paid for itself the day I bought it at
Koeln Hbf and then bought three tickets to Muenchen.

The UK has an easily obtained Senior Railcard yielding 1/3 off
rail fares, but it is only good for the cardholder. There is also
a Family Railcard, 1/3 off for you and the other adults in your
party, and 60% off for the kids.

See http://www.railcard.co.uk/