[Admin] Rec.Travel.Resorts.All-Inclusive Guidelines

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:57 AM
David E. Bath

Default [Admin] Rec.Travel.Resorts.All-Inclusive Guidelines

In article ,
Paul Cardoza writes:
Well, as someone who is thrilled to see this group become active
again, I'll "sort of" agree with Leasa. Some non-aggressive
advertising would be more than acceptable to me, such as the web site
in her sig line as described. However, I think the advantages of
keeping the group moderated FAAAARRRR outweigh any of the other issues
brought up.

OK, I propose a deal for Leasa:

If she puts a a message on her site to tell people about us, I'll not
only let her post but put a mention of her site in the guidelines. But
I will require her to to put a full link directly to any trip report
she mentions. And it will be OK for her to have her site address in
her sig.

How does that sound?

On 3 May 2004 23:39:21 GMT, (David E. Bath)
wrote:

In article ,
Leasa Hachey writes:
I agree. I don't know if this post will get through, as I haven't been
allowed to post yet, being that my site is the trip report site. All I have
tried to do is answer questions with my site URL in my signature. I haven't
actually directed people to my site saying "Hey everyone, check out my site"
or anything, so I wouldn't say I was "too promotional". I don't come on
here repeatedly advertising, directing people to me, I just have my address
in my signature, maybe I'd direct people to a trip report on my site if they
asked about a resort I knew I had one for. Yes, my site is commercial, but
it is also definately helpful to those planning a vacation. Because my site
involves trip reports, I have a lot of valuable information at my fingertips
for those needing it that are planning trips to all-inclusive resorts.

I advised her that she could post about trips she'd made, but I
didn't feel that just posting a link to reports on her website was
appropriate. I wouldn't be against someone else pointing people to a
trip report they found on your site, but from her it is borderline
self-promotion.

Perhaps if people knew they were going to GET this kind of help they may
actually come and post on this list, but it looks like this list is almost
dead. No-one asks questions because no-one gets answers until the moderator
decides that the answers fit a pre-designed mold.

That is only true for travel agents or travel websites, anyone else
is allowed to post as long as it's a bout all-inclusive resorts. This
is a moderated group, so posts must meet the group guidelines. the
guidelines can change, but it will take a consensus before I will
change them. So far it's one for and one against allowing posts like
you want to post.

The activity on all the
other lists is great, as Hai Pham pointed out, and no limits are placed on
postings as they are here. The cruises list is a perfect example.

That group and the other he referred to are not moderated groups, so
they will be different. And as this group is limited to only all
inclusives, it will get less traffic. Some of the reasons for the
current level of posts is due to the previous moderator's policies, he
was overly restrictive in my others opinion. Check out his old group
guidelines at http://www.lebeachclub.com/newsgroup.htm.
I've pretty much posted everything that's come in that's on topic
except for what you've sent in.

Well, for what it's worth, that's my $0.02 worth. (and that's in Canadian
funds, so it's worth even less!! =)

"Hai Pham" wrote in message
I think we should be more open. Look at number posts per day 1 or two max.
would like to see where people got the good deal, any problems to book
from
internet. I hear people got good deal from Apple Vacations but not
directly
from Apple vacations but through another one but end up with Apple
vacations. We want to get more information since the All inclusive is not
cheap so it may get more advertise but the same token we may benefits more
by people has experience with some resorts before. For example, the travel
agent/promotion said about X resort, someone may jump in and said that one
is good but some thing is not good or tell us about the price. I browse a
lot of groups this is one of the worst one in term to get information and
every time I posted (2 times), I got screen even nothing was in the post
except asked for the price.

That is the old moderator's policy, I'm sure I would have posted them
as I did this one. All I ask is that it's not an ad and that it is
about all inclusive resorts.

I have experience with the cruise group, we
got
advertise but we got good information from it too. As a lot people say you
can't get something for free. I go for more information, since we can skip
it easy. A very small number of posts per day due restriction defeat the
purpose of the group, I believe. If you have the chance go to the cruise
group, rec.model.rc.air, they have many posts per day some have a little
advertisement or just good experience with the travel agent/store. I
believe
amount of people go to All-inclusive resorts is about the same as people
go
to cruise, so why can't we get many posts.
I need information about go all-inclusive in Cancun, I got almost zero
information in this group. If I plan to go on cruise, I got exactly
information I want and more. Please open up for the benefits of a lot
people. I know some people don't like too much commercial but we can skip
it
and it takes less than a second to scan through which one you want to
read.

Regards,

Hai Pham
"David E. Bath" wrote in message
In article ,
Pavel writes:
Thanks Dave, I especially appreciate the links to the various AI
inclusives.
Now, I wonder how we can generate more participation in this
newsgroup?:

One thing I've considered is to accept posts from web site owners
about their sites. An example of one that I've rejected is
www.mytripreport.com since I felt the post was too promotional for
the site. Please check it out and let me know if posts of such places
would be acceptable.

As you may have noticed, I have allowed posts that discuss pricing
of trips, but I'm still avoiding any that mention places to get the
best prices since I feel it could encourage travel agents to post
here. I still think it best to keep travel agent posts out myself.

Anyone have anything they'd like to see done differently in regard to
how the group is handled? This is a good time to open up discussion
on potential guideline changes and additions.

--
David Bath - Moderator for rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

--
David Bath - Moderator for rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Hai Pham

David,

I think it is a good ideas. Again if I feel too much advertising I just
ignore or tell the person who did it go away. I believe it works well in
cruise group, travel agents post articles with their website at the end but
most of them know their limit. We are united and raise the voice when needed
to control and tell them when enough is enough.

Hai
Paul Cardoza writes:
Well, as someone who is thrilled to see this group become active
again, I'll "sort of" agree with Leasa. Some non-aggressive
advertising would be more than acceptable to me, such as the web site
in her sig line as described. However, I think the advantages of
keeping the group moderated FAAAARRRR outweigh any of the other issues
brought up.

OK, I propose a deal for Leasa:

If she puts a a message on her site to tell people about us, I'll not
only let her post but put a mention of her site in the guidelines. But
I will require her to to put a full link directly to any trip report
she mentions. And it will be OK for her to have her site address in
her sig.

How does that sound?

On 3 May 2004 23:39:21 GMT, (David E. Bath)

Old May 7th, 2004, 01:07 AM
David E. Bath

In article ,
"Hai Pham" writes:
David,

I think it is a good ideas. Again if I feel too much advertising I just
ignore or tell the person who did it go away. I believe it works well in
cruise group, travel agents post articles with their website at the end but
most of them know their limit. We are united and raise the voice when needed
to control and tell them when enough is enough.

Hai

I'm still very hesitant to allow travel agents to post. It'll take
some convincing before I'll change my mind on that.

But I did post something by another web site owner and he is adding a
link to this group on his site.

Paul Cardoza writes:
Well, as someone who is thrilled to see this group become active
again, I'll "sort of" agree with Leasa. Some non-aggressive
advertising would be more than acceptable to me, such as the web site
in her sig line as described. However, I think the advantages of
keeping the group moderated FAAAARRRR outweigh any of the other issues
brought up.

OK, I propose a deal for Leasa:

If she puts a a message on her site to tell people about us, I'll not
only let her post but put a mention of her site in the guidelines. But
I will require her to to put a full link directly to any trip report
she mentions. And it will be OK for her to have her site address in
her sig.

How does that sound?

On 3 May 2004 23:39:21 GMT, (David E. Bath)

Old May 7th, 2004, 08:45 PM
L.Hachey

"David E. Bath" wrote in message
OK, I propose a deal for Leasa:

If she puts a a message on her site to tell people about us, I'll not
only let her post but put a mention of her site in the guidelines. But
I will require her to to put a full link directly to any trip report
she mentions. And it will be OK for her to have her site address in
her sig.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a deal to me. I'll be adding a links page to my site tomorrow,
and I'll add a link to this group to that page at that time.

Thanks!

Leasa.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Pavel

Perhaps you weren't following the guidelines of the group. One post brings
to mind: Tipping. The moderator replied to your thread, but you may have
not seen it as it was beneath your post in the same article.

"Jan" wrote in message
: I've posted a few times to this site, but my posts took ages to appear.
: I believe people asking questions like to get answers quickly, maybe
: they've got accommadation on hold and just have a
: small query that could easily be answered here.
: Then I got told off for an answer I gave- still don't know why, as the
: relevant posts have disapeared.
: Maybe it was because I posted the source of my info, a british travel
site,
: I understand now you don't allow advertising, However if its relevant to
the
: post/answer, then why not?
:
: Jan
:

Old May 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Jan

"Pavel" wrote in message
Perhaps you weren't following the guidelines of the group. One post

brings
to mind: Tipping. The moderator replied to your thread, but you may have
not seen it as it was beneath your post in the same article.

The thread has gone, ...so from memory.
A poster asked about tipping, I posted a response, quoting the "whats
included" part of details from the uk operator that we will be travelling
with.
Which I believed clarified the answer. Whereas some of the other replies
actually advocated tipping.

Jan

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Steven Goodman

Hai Pham wrote:

David,

I think it is a good ideas. Again if I feel too much advertising I just
ignore or tell the person who did it go away. I believe it works well in
cruise group, travel agents post articles with their website at the end but
most of them know their limit. We are united and raise the voice when needed
to control and tell them when enough is enough.

Hai

rec.travel.cruises is an example of why rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive
is moderated! It isn't horrible, but I quit reading it because of all
the clutter. A much higher percentage of the postings here actually
have something useful in them.

And no SPAM here!

Steven Goodman

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Hai Pham

Steven,

I actually love to read rec.travel.cruises, I got a lot of information from
the group since it has a lot of travel agent posts very useful articles, yes
of course there are some rotten apples over there but people is smart enough
to ignore them. Thanks to the rec.travel.cruises, we had a very good time on
two cruises 2001 from Tampa & 2003 from NY. Both the trips we booked with a
very nice travel agent in my state and near my home but we never met, thanks
to the tip of one member in the group. It is so wonderful with huge amount
information I got from the group before we were on the trips. Anything I
asked the group, I got ton of information. Steven look around here I asked
about Palladium Grand resort (5 Golden Apples rating) and so far I got no
answer. Today is a very good day we got almost 10 posts including some
replied posts !!!!

Hai

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM
David E. Bath

In article ,
Steven Goodman writes:
One factor that would help this newsgroup would be a slight change of
name. It should probably be rec.travel.all-inclusive-resorts or
something similar. It is too many levels of hierarchy down, it is the
only newsgroup under rec.travel.resorts. In general, if a group only
has one subgroup, group should be deleted, and the subgroup moved up one
level.

Currently it is too hard for people to find.

Steven Goodman

Not a bas idea, but once a group has been created, it is stuck with
the name and it cannot be changed.

--
David Bath - Moderator for rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive