Carnival Liberty - Cruise From Hell

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
oldsarge (nospam)

Default Carnival Liberty - Cruise From Hell

Now I want people to tell me I'm nuts and am just a complainer. I paid for
an upgrade from deck 6 to deck 8. Well my cabin #8319 was located mid ship
right below the Lido deck where people sit in regular chairs at regular
tables. The space between the Lido deck and cabins below are NOT insulated.
For one week I had to endure terrible noises around the clock as tables and
chairs were scrapped across the wooden deck. I lodged several complaints.
They attempted to block off the area above my cabin at night but only
managed to block off the area above my balcony. They gave me a $80 credit
which I took as an insult. I also had two separate ship officers visit my
cabin and they validated my complaint. I'm writting to Carnival requesting
a refund of the upgrade fee plus compensation for having to endure that
cruise with little or no sleep. If you have doubts about this, book a mid
ship cabin on deck 8 below the Lido deck seating area just outside the
buffet area on the open deck. Never again will we sail Carnival. In
addition to the noise, the food was far below par from our last Carnival
cruise. Our cabin steward and one of the customer service reps were
outstanding in regards to my complaint.

--
**U.S. Army Ret - U.S.P.S. Ret **
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , nospam
wrote:

Now I want people to tell me I'm nuts and am just a complainer. I paid for
an upgrade from deck 6 to deck 8. Well my cabin #8319 was located mid ship
right below the Lido deck where people sit in regular chairs at regular
tables.

It is a good idea to check the deck plans to avoid locations like below
the Lido or Dining rooms. Why was cabin #8319 supposed to be an upgrade
over the cabin on deck 6? Also did you use a travel agent?

--
Charles
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
R. F. Duffer

On 9/14/2011 1:35 AM, oldsarge (nospam) wrote:
[...]

A higher deck does not necessarily mean a "upgrade." It means that you
have a better view of things and pay a bit more for the higher decks.
You STILL need to look at the location of the cabins. I am sure you had
the option to take/not take the "upgrade." You took it; you can live
with it. Who offered the upgrade to you? Did you ask for it?

You say you lodged several complaints and even had two, not one, but two
ship's officers check your cabin. One wasn't enough? I have a feeling
you made your point very well. It appears that the crew did try its
best to lessen the noise. You know that if you move into a house next
to a railroad, you shouldn't expect the trains to stop running because
you don't like the rattling and noise. The same applies here.

How much of your opinion of the food is based on your having a "noisy"
cabin? Why did you even mention the food when your issue was about the
cabin you had? I wonder if you had a third ship's officer come to your
cabin that maybe, that officer could have shut down the Lido deck for
you! The $80 credit seems reasonable. You accepted the cabin
assignment. Period!

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Margie R

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patricia Martin Steward[_2_]

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:37:18 -0500, "R. F. Duffer"
wrote:

How much of your opinion of the food is based on your having a "noisy"
cabin? Why did you even mention the food when your issue was about the
cabin you had? I

Clearly because the food was an issue as well. I had the same
observation on my first (and last) Carnival cruise.

There were other issues for me, as well -- basically, Carnival wasn't
NEARLY as organized as the other lines on which I've sailed. I booked
it because the price was good and I wanted to see if it would be as
disappointing as others on this group have found.

BIG mistake.

--
We are becoming a country that believes the rich have earned their money but the well educated have not
earned their intellectual superiority. This leads to a nation that idolizes Kardashians.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_3_]

On 9/14/2011 3:57 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

I understand your anger. I know that it's too late for you, but to
others booking a cabin, might I suggest you find a website with deck
plans (either the cruise line's one or one of many others you can Google
for) Look at what is below, above and next to your cabin of choice.

If you are being upgraded, make sure you know where the cabin is before
you accept the upgrade. An outside cabin in a quiet location, would have
been preferable to the balcony you had.

BTW,
Depending on the cruise itinerary, ship layout and weather at the time
of the year, I will choose an outside cabin in a good location even
though I'm a bit of a balcony snob. g

Thank you. I did do some research on Cruise Critic and Cruise Reviews.
I did find one where a person had the exact same cabin I had and she
reported noise during events, which I didn't consider an issue. BTW, I
didn't choose that cabin. It was choosen for me by Carnival. I think
most people think I actually booked that cabin myself. I didn't. Now
I'm sorry about it. I've learned a few pointers for my next cruise
which will most likely be Miami through the Panama Canal, on up to
Seattle. For that cruise I may choose a line that caters more to my age
group (70's) like Holland America, Celebrity, or one of the more
expensive but smaller lines. My first Carnival cruise was very enjoyable
and the food was outstanding. THIS last cruise was as I stated, a
cruise from hell. Without the noise, it would have been better but other
areas would have still been rated sub-standard based upon my prior
Carnival experience.

--
**U.S. Army Retired - USPS Retired**
**Degreed in CS, BS, HBS**
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_3_]

On 9/14/2011 11:37 AM, R. F. Duffer wrote:
[...]

1 - As for the ship's officers, I only personally requested one Guest
Services representative visit my cabin. The others came on their own.
Where did I say I personally invited all of them? You read too much
into my posting and assume too much.

2 - As for the cabin choice, NO, I had no input in the matter. Carnival
assigned that cabin to me. I worked with a vacation company we deal
with every year. I KNOW an upgrade is moving higher on the ship, but
you also failed to mention that an upgrade could also mean moving from
the front or back of the ship to the middle. That's what I did.

3 - My opinion of the food is based upon my last Carnival cruise on the
Victory. That cruise was excellent. I suggest you read reviews of
others on the same ship and dates I was on and read what they said about
the food. The BEST food on the ship was in Harry's, but we didn't eat
there. The second best was the Deli. The hot buffet wasn't hot at all
and the lines were too long.

4 - I wrote a cruise review and in that review the most glaring
complaint was the cabin noise. In reviews you also mention other areas
you didn't like.

5 - I had no choice but to accept the cabin. Besides, when looking at
the deck plans, it didn't show or indicate any moving tables and chairs
on the deck above. I would have expected the deck be insulated so as
not to be noisy in the cabins below. When I spend my hard earned money
it gives me the right to complain when I'm not satisfied, and neither
you or anyone else is going to tell me different, unless of course you
want to buy my next cruise.

6 - Now keep your fingers crossed that someone from Carnival sends you a
discount coupon for jumping all over me for something you know nothing
about. Were you in my cabin? Hell no.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_3_]

On 9/14/2011 6:58 AM, Charles wrote:
In , nospam
wrote:

Now I want people to tell me I'm nuts and am just a complainer. I paid for
an upgrade from deck 6 to deck 8. Well my cabin #8319 was located mid ship
right below the Lido deck where people sit in regular chairs at regular
tables.

It is a good idea to check the deck plans to avoid locations like below
the Lido or Dining rooms. Why was cabin #8319 supposed to be an upgrade
over the cabin on deck 6? Also did you use a travel agent?

Charles you know I've been around here for a long time. I usually do
not post unless I'm about to cruise or have completed one. Many people
have responded and a lot have been negative and not helpful to me at
all. All of those can kiss my ass. Now constructive advice is most
welcome. I did check the deck plans on the Carnival site, however, in
that I used a vacation planning company we deal with every year, I
didn't find a need to question them on the cabin location. It was
mid-ships and that was what I wanted. NOBODY expects to have constant
noise above them during the entire cruise, even if a deck plan is
reviewed. The best is to look at cruise reviews, which I did and only
one person was in the exact cabin I was in and they also said it was
noisy. Therefore cabin 8319 was an upgrade for two reasons. It was two
decks higher and mid-ships.

You can bet my next cruise experience will be different.

Where in the hell did all of these nay sayers come from? All of those
experienced cruisers so quick to diss you for your complaints? I'm open
to responses if they provide me with tools to make my next cruise
selection better. Needless to say, Carnival is low on my next cruise list.