New York advice

Old April 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

Default New York advice

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:36:00 -0400, Brian
wrote:

It probably depends on how you define a day trip. An hour each way? 2?
3?

Maybe a single 2-3 hour each way trip and a couple of shorter 1 - 1.5
hour trips.
Don't want to go back to Engalnd exhausted.
It helps if we can find a base where the accomodation is relaxing so
we could alternate long trips / day rest
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 06:21:03 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

Boston.

Maybe but it's a bit of a full-on city again after NYC.
Was looking for something a little slower-paced for our second week.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

On 24/04/10 1:49 AM, blackbat wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:38:06 -0700,
wrote:

Check Venere.com and quikbook.com for good deals in NYC.

Good idea.

Last year we
stayed at Best Western Seaport Inn, near the Brooklyn Bridge. We had
kids 11& 15 with us. It had some advantages over the Times Square area:
1. Very large room with 2 queens and a refrigerator. 2. Free breakfast.
3. Free wi-fi. 4. Close to Battery Park and S.O.L.. 5. Close to
Chinatown for cheap good food. 6. Not too far from two different subway
lines. 7. Close to Jack's Stir Brew, the best coffee in NYC. 8. Less
expensive than other areas of Manhattan, though still $199/night. 9.
Afternoon fresh cookies. We did a lot of walking, from South Seaport
through Chinatown and the lower east side then through the village and
up to midtown.

This is really useful.
Thanks for such an in-depth answer.

"http://www.seaportinn.com/new-york-suites.php"

What sort of price might I expect to pay for a cab from either
airport?

I think a cab is about $60-65 by the time you pay all the tolls and
tips. but with five people you'll need two cabs unless there are
mini-van cabs, since a car can only hold five people, including the
driver (alas, there are no Checker Marathon cabs left in NYC).

Amazingly, I was able to convince everyone in my family to take only one
carry-on suitcase plus a day pack. This saved a lot of money, not only
in cabs, but on the plane too, because most of the U.S. airlines charge
for checked luggage now. I always plan on doing laundry on trips. Most
hotels have coin-op laundries, but I don't think in NYC many do.

This sounds great, but I'd need to get my wife used to a bike in time.

They may rent tandems. This is where we rented bikes:

"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/articles/rental-information-not-may-3rd-bike-newyork-pg42.htm"
They have a coupon for helmets at
"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/coupons/helmet-coupons-purchase-or-rental-pg91.htm".
Send the women to Macy's and Bloomingdales and you go on a bike ride. I
thought it was expensive, but it was the least expensive rental place in
NYC. Since you drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.K., be careful.

Not when in NVC but after that even I don't mind one day at a mall.
USA malls are great for me, I have big feet and have difficulty
getting shoes to fit in the UK so tend to stock up in the States.

Yeah, actually the time I head to the outlet mall is for shoes because
the stores have a much better selection of large sizes. The Skechers
store was especially good, with a very large selection of large sizes
and wide widths.
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:43:48 -0700, SMS
wrote:

"http://www.seaportinn.com/new-york-suites.php"

gotcha

What sort of price might I expect to pay for a cab from either
airport?

I think a cab is about $60-65 by the time you pay all the tolls and
tips. but with five people you'll need two cabs unless there are
mini-van cabs, since a car can only hold five people, including the
driver (alas, there are no Checker Marathon cabs left in NYC).

hmmm, that's not good.
Don't suppose your hotel had a shuttle?

Amazingly, I was able to convince everyone in my family to take only one
carry-on suitcase plus a day pack. This saved a lot of money, not only
in cabs, but on the plane too, because most of the U.S. airlines charge
for checked luggage now. I always plan on doing laundry on trips. Most
hotels have coin-op laundries, but I don't think in NYC many do.

Amazing indeed. Ain't gonna happen for me though.

This sounds great, but I'd need to get my wife used to a bike in time.

They may rent tandems. This is where we rented bikes:

"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/articles/rental-information-not-may-3rd-bike-newyork-pg42.htm"
They have a coupon for helmets at
"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/coupons/helmet-coupons-purchase-or-rental-pg91.htm".
Send the women to Macy's and Bloomingdales and you go on a bike ride.

Now that's a good idea.

thought it was expensive, but it was the least expensive rental place in
NYC. Since you drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.K., be careful.

No, *you* drive on the wrong side ;-)
I should be OK, I've driven a lot in the States and Europe.

Not when in NVC but after that even I don't mind one day at a mall.
USA malls are great for me, I have big feet and have difficulty
getting shoes to fit in the UK so tend to stock up in the States.

Yeah, actually the time I head to the outlet mall is for shoes because
the stores have a much better selection of large sizes. The Skechers
store was especially good, with a very large selection of large sizes
and wide widths.

I used to like Dexters and Bass outlets some years back, but Dexters
have long since disappeared. And although someone seems to have bought
their name, the quality isn't the same.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:38:31 +0100, blackbat
wrote:

Maybe a single 2-3 hour each way trip and a couple of shorter 1 - 1.5
hour trips.
Don't want to go back to Engalnd exhausted.
It helps if we can find a base where the accomodation is relaxing so
we could alternate long trips / day rest

Depending on what you like to do, Hartford has historic homes
including Mark Twain's and also the Wadsworth Atheneum art museum.
Newport, RI would be close with its mansions and Cape Cod could be
done also. I wouldn't go to Cape cod on a Friday or sunday because of
the traffic.
New Haven has Yale and a number of museums.
Gillette's Castle is interesting.
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:12:44 -0400, Brian
wrote:

Depending on what you like to do, Hartford has historic homes
including Mark Twain's and also the Wadsworth Atheneum art museum.
Newport, RI would be close with its mansions and Cape Cod could be
done also. I wouldn't go to Cape cod on a Friday or sunday because of
the traffic.
New Haven has Yale and a number of museums.
Gillette's Castle is interesting.

Thanks again - all added to the list.
I'll investigate them further.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
malickk malickk is offline
Banned

New York City is one of those cities which was easily conquered the streets of this city hold a myriad of secrets. Island of Manhattan packs more legendary icons into one compact area than any other place in New York.
New York to Indianapolis bus

Last edited by malickk : September 17th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Imogenia Imogenia is offline
Member

New York in summers sounds really amazing to me. New York is my most favorite city in the United States. I just love to visit New York. It has the most tourist attractions of the United States. Let me share the top attractive places of New York, where I always love to go:
Central Park
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Rockefeller Center
Times Square
Metropolitan Museum of Art
GE Building
Museum of Modern Art
Grand Central Terminal
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
tomB tomB is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogenia View Post
New York in summers sounds really amazing to me. New York is my most favorite city in the United States. I just love to visit New York. It has the most tourist attractions of the United States. Let me share the top attractive places of New York, where I always love to go:
Central Park
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Rockefeller Center
Times Square
Metropolitan Museum of Art
GE Building
Museum of Modern Art
Grand Central Terminal
I want to add: walk over the bridge to Brooklyn
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
jakabjhone jakabjhone is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomB View Post
I want to add: walk over the bridge to Brooklyn
tomB, I agree with you to walk over the bridge to Brooklyn will be an exciting thing to do for travel lovers to make fun and enjoy the beauty of surroundings.
I personally love it and must say at night time it seems more stunning due to lights. What will you say tomB? Moreover, have you any suggestion regarding hotel near this bridge? I am looking for your quick reply dude! :P