Oakland and San Jose?

Old July 25th, 2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
void

Default Oakland and San Jose?

Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"void" wrote in message
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

If you haven't already been there, put Yosemite on your list. Possible on a
very long one day trip, better on a two or three day trip. Look for lodging
just outside the park like in Mariposa, Fish Camp, or Oakhurst. If you are
lucky, you'll find something in the park.

And if you happen to be an airplane enthusiast, visit on the way to or from
Yosemite the airplane museum in Merced.

To the south is Monterey, 17 Mile Drive, the Aquarium, Point Lobos, Big Sur,
the Pinnacles, and Hearst Castle. To the north is Point Reyes, the wine
country, the Charles M. Schultz ("Peanuts") museum, Luther Burbank home and
gardens, and Jack London's Glen Ellen.

In the immediate Bay Area are places like Sasaulito, Angel Island, Alcatrez,
the Marin Headlands, and Grizzley Peak Blvd above Berkeley.

Old July 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

"void" wrote in news:xn0f93h5d1ea8a0000
@newsgroups.comcast.net:
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

There are some interesting neighborhoods in Oakland and San Jose, but no
really big flashy tourist traps like in San Francisco. Berkeley and Santa
Cruz might be more interesting tourist destinations.
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago...

A nice day trip is to drive south to Monterey, take the "17 Mile
Drive" (a scenic drive with beautiful ocean views) which starts south
of Monterey and goes along the coast to Carmel-By-The-Sea. Carmel has
a nice public beach, a charming (though touristy) downtown, and a nice
Spanish mission. Then drive back to S.F. after dinner.

If you want to go further south, a nice state park just south of
Carmel is Point Lobos which has nice walking trails with dramatic
ocean views, and further south still is Big Sur. You could spend the
night in the Carmel area, explore Point Lobos and Big Sur on day 2,
and return to S. F. that evening.

Hearst Castile is another possibility, but it's considerably further
south.

Or take a day trip north of San Francisco to Napa Valley, or take an
overnight trip to Yosemite.

James

Old July 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"void" wrote in message
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

Not so much Oakland. There are a lot of street monuments to gang killings.
But drive south to San Jose and visit the Tech Museum, and the Museum at
Intel headquarters. As well as the Rosecrutions (sp?) Egypt Museum. Then a
drive down to Santa Cruz and lunch or dinner on the wharf. Look at the Sea
Lions, etc. A trip as others say to Yosemite is very nice also.

Old July 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

And I suspect that in August you need to pre book (BICBW)

tim

Old July 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 24, 8:32 pm, "void" wrote:
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

Berkeley. A visit to the best public university in the world is
certainly worth it. The Gourmet Ghetto is great if you like good
food. Take the elevator up the Campanile if it's open and you'll get
a bird's eye view of the Bay.

Angel Island is worth a day trip. You can take a ferry there and hike
all the way to the top of the island and visit the west coast
immigration center (equivalent to Ellis Island).

Palo Alto. A visit to the second best university in northern
California is always interesting. They have a very good musuem with
lots of sculptures, and it's free. Also a walk through downtown Palo
Alto is nice, with plenty of restaurants and shops. San Jose has the
Tech Museum, also worth a visit.

If you want to venture a little further, Carmel-Monterey-Santa Cruz
area is definitely worth a visit. Monterey Bay Aqurium is one of the
best around. Or go north to Marin County: Mt. Tamalpais, Point Reyes.

Old July 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"void" wrote in message
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

Actually, no.

If you go to Mt. Tam, you might spend some time on the beautiful Mendicino
coast north of San Francisco or in the wine country. I prefer Sonoma to
Napa. Others have mentioned the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area, which is also
very beautiful, but further away.

Marianne

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"void" wrote:

Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm out
there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another day in
SF. But what else? Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

It depends on your interests. What sort of activities do you enjoy doing?
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

void wrote:
Next month I am going to the SF Bay Area for 5 days, mainly to attend a
wedding. I already went out to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and
did most of the touristy stuff. So I wonder what I should do when I'm
out there next month. I might spend a day around Mt. Tam, and another
day in SF. But what else?

Mount Tam is an excellent idea. If you're into hiking there are a lot of
good places to go. Point Lobos was a very good suggestion. Big Basin is
another good choice. A good 9 mile RT hike is from Monte Bello Open
Space Preserve (off upper Page Mill Road in Palo Alto) over to Ridge
Winery in Cupertino.

Are San Jose and Oakland worth visiting?

Not really.