Any advice on where to go in New York?

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Paul0208

Default Any advice on where to go in New York?

Hi

I'm looking to buy a digital camera and a rucksack while I'm in New
York. Can anyone suggest where I could go and buy them? Appreciate
any help that you can give.
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
PTRAVEL

"Paul0208" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I'm looking to buy a digital camera and a rucksack while I'm in New
York. Can anyone suggest where I could go and buy them? Appreciate
any help that you can give.

For a camera, no question: B&H Photo which, if I recall correctly, is on
10th and 34th. B&H is universally regarded as the most honest and reliable
camera retailer in the business. Their store is like Disneyland --
everything is on display, there are knowledgable sales people to help, you
can get your hands on any equipment you like, and their prices, while not
rock bottom, are low. You'll also enjoy watching your purchase as it
"rides" an elaborate series of conveyor belts to the check-out registers.

Camera retailing in the US is one of the areas that seems to be populated by
more than the average number of sleaze merchants, scam artists and con men.
B&H is a shining star in what otherwise would be a retail cess-pool. I've
bought many thousands of dollars worth of gear from them, and have never had
anything but a great experience.

For point of reference, there are two other camera retailers that are
trustworthy and reliable: Adorama and J&R Music World. I've only bought
mail-order from Adorama, so I'm not sure were in NY they're located. J&R
sells computers and electronics as well as cameras (I bought my photo
printer from them, among other things). They're located on Park Row near
City Hall in downtown Manhattan. They're also just a stone's throw from
Ground Zero, the site of the former World Trade Centers.

Any of these retailers will provide you with honest, ethical and reliable
service at good prices.

Old April 28th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
Rita wrote:

There are many sites on the web that give reviews of various
camera models. It is a good idea to research, as you did, before
you buy. Probably more reliable than a salesperson's
recommendation.

good point. Probably the most informative web site for digital
cameras is http://www.dpreview.com
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM
New Yorker

Yes, B&H is the place to go, with lots of merchandise on display, plenty of
helpful staff, and good prices, but do be aware that it closes early on
Fridays and all day Saturdays (it is run by Orthodox Jews).

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:
(Paul0208) wrote:
I'm looking to buy a digital camera and a rucksack while I'm in New
York. Can anyone suggest where I could go and buy them? Appreciate
any help that you can give.

B&H cameras is probably your best bet, they have a web site, google
them

Agreed. They're also about 5 minutes' walk from Penn Station (if you get

the
right exit - 8th & 34th), which is pretty convenient for most visitors.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:24 AM
Pan

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:01:02 -0700, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

For a camera, no question: B&H Photo which, if I recall correctly, is on
10th and 34th.

[snip]

420 9th Av.

Here's their website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Enjoy!

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
David J. Greenberger

"PTRAVEL" writes:

For point of reference, there are two other camera retailers that are
trustworthy and reliable: Adorama and J&R Music World. I've only bought
mail-order from Adorama, so I'm not sure were in NY they're located.

Adorama is on 18th Street between 6th and 5th, on the south side of
the street. It's a much smaller store than B&H, but, as you say, it's
quite reputable.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM

On Mon, 03 May 2004 06:56:59 -0400, (David J.
Greenberger) wrote:

"PTRAVEL" writes:

For point of reference, there are two other camera retailers that are
trustworthy and reliable: Adorama and J&R Music World. I've only bought
mail-order from Adorama, so I'm not sure were in NY they're located.

Adorama is on 18th Street between 6th and 5th, on the south side of
the street. It's a much smaller store than B&H, but, as you say, it's
quite reputable.

Respectfully, I disagree regarding Adorama as being reputable. They
have had a reputation but it has not always been good. If you visit
the archives of the 35mm camera newsgroups you will find too many
repeated instances of bait and switch and other shenanigans.

But B&H is, as someone said, the shining star (not to denigrate J&R)
in a business that is probably the largest source of complaints
against retailers as filed with the NY Dept of Consumer Affairs.

Don't overlook B&H's used equipment department. They are very careful
about the integrity of their grading system that determines sales
price.

A few years ago their used camera department sold me a used,
out-of-box, Nikon 8008s and lens, both of which had earned their top
rating. They appeared perfect to me.

To avoid the 8.5% NYC sales tax I had them shipped to my home across
the river in New Jersey.

When it arrived, the lens had not been separately packaged in its own
separate foam wrap. The knurled lens barrel had scratched the camera
body where they had rubbed together in transit. I returned to B&H and
spoke with the same salesman. He saw how it had been packed and
acknowledged without argument that the scratches were caused by the
improper packing.

After a few minutes delay the used equipment manager came out and said
they did not an equal replacement in stock but asked if I would accept
an upgrade. He handed me what I believe was a never used camera, in a
pristine box, complete with the manual, docs etc. - no added charge -
and sincere apology. They also took the lens back into the shop for a
few minutes to make sure it had not suffered any damage.

And they reshipped it to me, since I did not want to carry it home
that day, without shipping charges.

That day they won a loyal customer for life.

Just one piece of advice. Both J&R and B&H are not the best place to
seek advice about what to buy. They are the best place to buy after
you have done your homework and have narrowed down your choices to a
few similar items. The sales people are well trained in product but
they are not there to "sell you" on anything in particular. They are
NY efficient. Ask your decision questions, make the choice, pay for
it, thank you very much, next?
CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info