Some advice req - New York and Florida

Old December 15th, 2004, 06:36 PM
mo

Default Some advice req - New York and Florida

Hi
Travellingto the USA in september next year.

I wanna goto New York and do some touristy things but my friend wants to
goto the beaches of Florida.

One thing we both wanna do is go to a couple of killer theme parks

Anyone recommend an area in Florida that has beaches but has a coupel of
theme parks close by (i.e somewhere you can go in a day and back)

Are these many large theme parks around the NY area? (i am guessing there
are no beaches?)

Old December 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM
mo

"Rita" wrote in message
news
St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Florida have nice beaches and Tampa is
a hop, skip and jump from St. Pete and has a couple of theme parks.
Busch Gardens and some kind of wild animal park -- others will correct me
if I am wrong. And you could drive up the Coast to Tarpon Springs where
there are fake sponge divers and good Greek food. You'll have to have a
car in Florida to get around at all, but not in New York City.

How old do you have to be to rent cars? I will be 21 - but I aint too
confident about driving on the other side of the road (I live in the UK) and
I probably wont understand all the road signs...so I dont really wanna risk
it!

Old December 15th, 2004, 07:17 PM
PeterL

"mo" wrote in message

"Rita" wrote in message
news
St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Florida have nice beaches and Tampa is
a hop, skip and jump from St. Pete and has a couple of theme parks.
Busch Gardens and some kind of wild animal park -- others will correct

me
if I am wrong. And you could drive up the Coast to Tarpon Springs where
there are fake sponge divers and good Greek food. You'll have to have a
car in Florida to get around at all, but not in New York City.

How old do you have to be to rent cars? I will be 21 - but I aint too
confident about driving on the other side of the road (I live in the UK)

and
I probably wont understand all the road signs...so I dont really wanna

risk
it!

21 is the age. Our road signs are in English. The roads here are broad and
relatively easy to drive in. Try booking your car from the UK.

Old December 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Juliana L Holm

Rita wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:11:14 -0000, "mo" wrote:

Age 21. But if you don't drive you will be stuck in your hotel. Florida
does not have much in the way of public transportation. Better come to
New York City I've spent a fair amount of time in Florida, and I wouldn't
think of visiting there without renting a car, although Miami may be the
one exception. Beaches, but no theme park to my knowledge.

Actually most US Rental Car companies require you to be 24.

Tampa/St. Pete won't work for you, but the Orlando Area Will. If you get a
place to stay near the beach (walking distance) you will find that there are
busses and other trips in to Orlando for Disney, I believe.

Cocoa Beach might be a good choice. South of Cape Canaveral, my guess is that
you could find transport to Orlando Theme parks as well as a tour to Cape
Canaveral (which is interesting) and you'd be on a beach.

Julie

--
Julie

Old December 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Pomeroy3

There are beaches not far from NYC on Long Island and in New Jersey. Six Flags
has a large theme park in Jackson, NJ.
Susie Q
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Pomeroy3