Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

Old May 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

On Wed, 23 May 2012 12:18:03 -0700 (PDT), unfrostedpoptart
wrote:

On Monday, May 21, 2012 7:13:20 PM UTC-7, Go Fig wrote:
Convinced that the stores on their easy-to-follow map will lead them
to the greatest onshore deals, the eager tourists are unaware that the
cruise line's recommendations are driven solely by profit. They are
unaware that the maps are leading them to stores whose revenue goes
straight back to the ship.

Before cruise passengers go onshore to one of their ship's
destinations, they are given shopping lectures and store maps with the
industry's recommendations for the best deals and the highest quality
products. But what the passengers aren't told is that these stores
have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to be
listed.

If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
than those art auctions.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Orval Fairbairn

wrote:

[...]

It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
Does CCL own these stores?
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,

It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
Does CCL own these stores?

Not just the Caribbean! The same stores are in the Alaskan ports.
Disgusting to get to the small Alaskan towns like Skagway and see these
vultures who prey off of cruise passengers in most of the storefronts.

--
Charles
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 5/28/2012 2:31 PM, Charles wrote:
Orval wrote:
In ,

It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
Does CCL own these stores?

Not just the Caribbean! The same stores are in the Alaskan ports.
Disgusting to get to the small Alaskan towns like Skagway and see these
vultures who prey off of cruise passengers in most of the storefronts.

Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
shopping centers. Sad.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 5/28/2012 3:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
shopping centers. Sad.

We were in St. Croix on Celebrity Silhouette in December and it was
fairly undeveloped in the pier area. The big chains (whatever there is)
were in a city that was a good distance from the pier. I guess they do
not get enough ships to justify building a DI and the related chains.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:45:28 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 5/28/2012 9:42 AM, wrote:

If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
than those art auctions.

What would they have heard if they were paying attention? Would they
have heard the shopping guide saying "All these places have paid the
cruise line to be included in this program and our map"? And are you
saying that if you haven't been to Cozumel before, it's OK if you get
ripped off? And what does greed have to do with it?

I guess I am just cynical. But I talk to local people and they will
freely tell me what the deal is.

Everyone who cruises says - don't take the ship tours, you can do it
more cheaply on your own (which is true in a lot of cases). The
reason for that is that the tour companies pay the cruise lines so
that they can have the privilege of doing the tours. When I talk to
the tour guides, they tell me all about it.

In Ketchikan and other Alaskan ports, the guides emphasized what
stores were local - Alaskans resent those Diamond International people
who come for the season and then leave. The Caribbean folks are more
resigned about it so you may not hear as much from them.

The shopping stuff is the same. If you think about it - why would the
ship want to steer you to certain stores if there is nothing it in for
them? If they don't get a kickback - why bother? It isn't just
altrustism on their part. They cover it up with the business about
the recommended stores being guaranteed but that's a smoke screen for
the real reason..

Cozumel is just an example - St Thomas would be the same or any of the
cruise ship ports. In Cozumel when I went into a store they wanted to
know right up front what ship I was from. Why would they ask that?
They aren't just being friendly.

The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
might think a little more about it.

When I shop, I almost never shop at the 'recommended' shops, and I
don't believe in buying expensive high-end items on a cruise. I see
no point in buying electronics or cameras in the Caribbean. I buy
locally produced items as much as possible - the kinds of things I
can't get from a catalog or an internet store.

I was on a Celebrity cruise a few months ago and there was no art
auction. I kind of missed it, if only for the entertainment value of
seeing other people bidding.

\
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 5/28/2012 10:44 AM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
Does CCL own these stores?

No ... DI just has a very smart marketing plan ... put a store every
where in the Caribbean that the cruise ships stop and pray on the people
that are having too good of a time to spend wisely.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_6_]

On 5/28/2012 3:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
shopping centers. Sad.

The only reason the Caribbean went this route is because the cruisers
wanted it. A shrewd businessperson does what the public wants. Cruisers
go to the Caribbean because they think they are going to make a killing on
cheap diamonds, emeralds and watches. This is what the Caribbean has become
known for. They are just doing what we cruisers are demanding.