Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ARL

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens or
Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Old August 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

ARL wrote:
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens
or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

There's a Hilton at Gateway Center in Newark, NJ, attached to Newark
Penn Station. It's a short train ride on NJ Transit to NY Penn Station
and to the World Trade Center station on PATH. It's also a short train
and monorail ride from Newark Airport.

There is a ferry that operates from Weehawken to Manhattan, and a light
rail line that will take you from Weehawken to Hoboken where you can
transfer to PATH. From the Manhattan ferry terminal, you can either
walk to 8th Avenue to the subway (about 4 long blocks) or take the 34 St
or 42nd St crosstown bus. Newark is probably a better location if you
intend to commute.

Many hotels in Manhattan are close to mass transit, but I'll bet they'll
be much more expensive. I'm getting a rate of $196.71 at the Gateway
Center Hilton for those dates.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Old August 21st, 2009, 02:15 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steven M. O'Neill

Michael Finfer wrote:
ARL wrote:
We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?

Thank you for your help.

There is a ferry that operates from Weehawken to Manhattan, and a light
rail line that will take you from Weehawken to Hoboken where you can
transfer to PATH.

The transit directions on Google Maps says there are at least 3
different buses to Manhattan.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...z=14&start =0

(or http://bit.ly/1894av )

I don't know anything about that, but njtransit.com does.

(NJ Transit web site also has an "itinerary planner".)

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steven M. O'Neill

Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
The transit directions on Google Maps says there are at least 3
different buses to Manhattan.

I should have also said that the light rail is probably more fun.

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:54 -0700, "ARL"
wrote:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens or
Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

i don't know the answer to your question but I'll make a couple of
comments. One is that there are also buses from NJ that might be
possibilities.
You'll be spending some of your day going back and forth on
transportation. you might book something now but as the time gets
closer, check to see if there are any specials. One site is
travelzoo.com and others may have other ideas. We got a pretty good
deal at a 4 star hotel in a very good location in Manhattan that
included breakfast. They had many different options of different
prices.
The summer was pretty slow apparently and hotels may not be
discounting fall yet but might do so closer to the time you are going.
How much mobility do you have and how "mature" are you?
Many of the subways are not particularly friendly to those who have
limited mobility.
I consider my wife and I to be mature but that can incorporate a wide
range. Ten days after we went, I wound up getting a pacemaker I wasn't
expecting.
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

You should be able to get a decent hotel right in Manhattan these days
at a reasonable price.

No reason to stay in New Jersey if you are coming to NYC.

Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:04 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

wrote:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Be aware that the ferry serving that area doesn't run all night. Can't
remember what time it stops running, but I believe it's around 8 or 9
p.m. You can still get the light rail from Hoboken Terminal, but it's
going to be a longer trip. Once you get to Hoboken, you can take the
PATH across the river to Manhattan, only you'll be in midtown proper,
not the far west side.

Being an older couple, I think they would be better off staying in
Manhattan where a cab back to the hotel will be a couple of bucks and a
few minutes rather than a arduous journey on the various subways/rails
late at night.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Agent_C

wrote:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens or
Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

If you're visiting New York, you really mustn't stay in Jersey. It's
just not done...

A_C

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Michael Finfer" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you Michael.
OK, in Expedia, this Hilton Newark Penn Station Hotel NJ is $189, 3.5 star.
The Steraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel NJ is $139, 3 star. But not easly commute?

OK, now I learn about PATH. Would its be convenient to take either these
route to mid-town NUC, if there is good hotels along these train stations?1.
yellow line from Journal Square NJ to 33rd NYC?
2. Hoboken to 33rd NYC?
I assume along these PATH stops in NYC, we can transfer to NYC MTA subway
system easily?
Why is fare so much better at $1.75 a pop, compare to Waterway Ferry at
Lincoln Harbor to 39th for $7.75 ?

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

Being an older couple, I think they would be better off staying in
Manhattan where a cab back to the hotel will be a couple of bucks and a
few minutes rather than a arduous journey on the various subways/rails
late at night.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Oh, we are not that old yet. Walking 5 or 6 blocks or PATH train and/or
ferry commut for a week crossing the Hudson is OK with us. Thank you.