Boston visit - advice wanted

Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Derek

Default Boston visit - advice wanted

Hi,

I have a visit planned for the end of February.
My son wants to see a Hockey game and the Bruins are playing on the day
we arrive
***BUT***
we are not scheduled to land untill 4:55 p.m. and still have to get
through customs and immigration (from UK) before going to the hotel.
Then we have to get to the game, which starts at 7 p.m.
Is this a realistic expectation, to get to the game on time?
Is it worth booking tickets if we end up missing half the game?

Opinions/experiences ??

Derek

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:09 AM
Keeger

Derek wrote:

Hi,

I have a visit planned for the end of February.
My son wants to see a Hockey game and the Bruins are playing on the day
we arrive
***BUT***
we are not scheduled to land untill 4:55 p.m. and still have to get
through customs and immigration (from UK) before going to the hotel.
Then we have to get to the game, which starts at 7 p.m.
Is this a realistic expectation, to get to the game on time?
Is it worth booking tickets if we end up missing half the game?

Opinions/experiences ??

Derek

What day are you arriving, and how long will you be in Boston?
Is that the only day that you can attend a game?

I noticed that the Bs have a 1:00 game on Saturday the 28th and those
are great for families as a lot more kids go to those games than
weeknight games. If you were looking at going to the Feb. 26th game
vs. Montreal, then that would be a great game as well because the Bs
vs. Montreal is the oldest and most intense rivalry in the NHL and it
should be a great game.

That said, it has never taken me more than 1/2 hour to get through
customs at Logan. I imagine that it's only slightly longer for UK
residents. However, I also know that Bruins tickets are quite
expensive now. I don't know how you are getting to your hotel, but
Boston can be very congested in the early evening. There is a good
chance you will miss most of the game if you try to go the same night.

http://www.regimechangeusa.org/
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Bill Bordiuk

Not realistic at all. If your flight is delayed at all or if there's any
traffic you'll have a hard time getting to the game on time. If you don't
mind missing half the game, get the tickets. Bruins games don't usually sell
out and you might be able to pick up face value tickets the night of the
game at the box office. Another idea would be: if you get lucky and get
through customs, and to your hotel, etc. (and are fairly brave) you could
head over to the Fleet Center after the game has started and try to get
tickets from a scalper. (I assume you know that a scalper is someone who
buys and sells tickets outside the venue.) After the game starts you might
be able to get tickets for much less than face value. Please be aware that
scalping tickets is technically illegal in Massachusetts, but the
authorities usually look the other way and if you're getting them at less
than face value, you're probably OK.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Bordiuk" wrote in message
Not realistic at all. If your flight is delayed at all or if there's any
traffic you'll have a hard time getting to the game on time. If you don't
mind missing half the game, get the tickets. Bruins games don't usually

sell
out and you might be able to pick up face value tickets the night of the
game at the box office. Another idea would be: if you get lucky and get
through customs, and to your hotel, etc. (and are fairly brave) you could
head over to the Fleet Center after the game has started and try to get
tickets from a scalper.

In British English we would call these people 'ticket touts'

or Scum

Be aware however that the selling of forged tickets isnt exactly
unknown and not only do you have no legal comeback in such
a situation you may spend the first day of your visit explaining why
you tried to get into the game with forged tickets !

Keith

Old January 25th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Charles Hawtrey

Derek , while facing east, summoned the courage to
declaim:

Hi,

I have a visit planned for the end of February.
My son wants to see a Hockey game and the Bruins are playing on the day
we arrive
***BUT***
we are not scheduled to land untill 4:55 p.m. and still have to get
through customs and immigration (from UK) before going to the hotel.
Then we have to get to the game, which starts at 7 p.m.
Is this a realistic expectation, to get to the game on time?

Let's see: you're getting off a 7-hour flight, going through customs
and immigration, fighting your way through rush-hour traffic to your
hotel, and then immediately on to a game that begins at a time your
body insists is midnight regardless of what the clock says. I'd not
consider this a realistic expectation regardless of whether you arrive
at the game on time.

But to answer your specific question, if all goes smoothly -- no
flight delays, no traffic jams, and so on -- you have a reasonable
chance of arriving at the game around the time that it starts or soon
thereafter.

--
For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here's
a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for