Amsterdam-Please help me plan my day!

Old December 13th, 2003, 07:26 AM
laybe

Default Amsterdam-Please help me plan my day!

Hi everyone. I have layover at Amsterdam for 7 hours, and I love to go
to Van Gogh Museum and Heineken Brewery. My plane should be arriving
at noon and the connection flight is departing at 7PM. Will I have
enough time to go to these two places? If so, please help me make the
plan. Shall I visit Heineken brewery first or Van Gogh Museum first?
Can I walk from Heineken to Van Gogh? What time should I go back to
the airport for the domestic flight? Could you please tell me what
tram to take to these destinations? Sorry for all the questions and
thank you so much in advance!

laybe
Old December 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Miguel Cruz

laybe wrote:
Hi everyone. I have layover at Amsterdam for 7 hours, and I love to go to
Van Gogh Museum and Heineken Brewery. My plane should be arriving at noon
and the connection flight is departing at 7PM. Will I have enough time to
go to these two places? If so, please help me make the plan. Shall I visit
Heineken brewery first or Van Gogh Museum first? Can I walk from Heineken
to Van Gogh? What time should I go back to the airport for the domestic
flight? Could you please tell me what tram to take to these destinations?

You should first go to the Heineken brewery, because you have to pick up a
ticket for the tour (unless it's changed). They run out early and they don't
go very late into the afternoon in any case. Once you get your ticket,
depending on the scheduled tour time, you can either walk up the street to
the nearby Albert Cuypstraat outdoor market for a quick look around (if your
brewery tour is soon), or go over to the museum and then come back later.

From there it's a 10-minute walk to the Van Gogh Museum.

I don't think there's any reason to be at the airport before 18:00 (6pm).

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
John Bermont

laybe wrote:
Hi everyone. I have layover at Amsterdam for 7 hours, and I love to go
to Van Gogh Museum and Heineken Brewery. My plane should be arriving
at noon and the connection flight is departing at 7PM. Will I have
enough time to go to these two places? If so, please help me make the
plan. Shall I visit Heineken brewery first or Van Gogh Museum first?
Can I walk from Heineken to Van Gogh? What time should I go back to
the airport for the domestic flight? Could you please tell me what
tram to take to these destinations? Sorry for all the questions and
thank you so much in advance!

laybe

laybe,

Trams 1, 2, 5, and 11 go down Leidsestraat and trams 16, 24, 25 go down
Wijzelstraat. Ask at the Bus, Tram, Metro ticket office (about 100 yards
toward the left outside Centraal Station where you buy your
Strippenkaart) which line would be best. Ask for a free system map and
ask the clerk to point out your targets. You might save a few minutes if
you buy your Strippenkaart in the VVV Tourist Office at Schiphol.
You can probably walk from Heineken to Van Gogh in less time than you
would spend waiting for a tram.

BTW, you say you have a "domestic flight" in Holland? You should rather
use a train if by "domestic" you mean within the country, as opposed to
international which would be more likely.

There are luggage lockers and an attended left luggage room in the
basement of Schiphol Airport if you don't want to lug around your
carry-on. A day bag is worthwhile. See my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap07/luggage.htm.

Amsterdam Centraal Station is a den of pickpockets and luggage thieves.
They also work the trains from the airport, the trams, streets, and
everywhere else you will want to be. Hang onto your stuff and regard
every bump or brush or unusual distraction as an alert that you have
been picked.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old December 14th, 2003, 12:56 AM
laybe

Thank you all for the fast replies! They were so helpful. When I said
"domestic flight" I meant within Europe flight. I'm sorry, I'm bad.

It looks like I'm going to walk from Heineken to Van Gogh. Could you
please recommend a place for a great Patetje Met near there? I heared
they are awsome. And fries and beer always make my day.

Also, I don't have Euro... and I don't want to run around to find a
currecy exchange. Is it easy to spot the currency exchange in the
airport? I know using ATM to withdraw money is more efficient, but I
only have Plus debit card. Will I pass any of ATM machines which takes
plus card in the airport or is it quick and easy to just convert cash
at the exchange?

thank you again!
laybe
Old December 14th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Miguel Cruz

laybe wrote:
It looks like I'm going to walk from Heineken to Van Gogh. Could you
please recommend a place for a great Patetje Met near there? I heared
they are awsome. And fries and beer always make my day.

Right around the corner from the Heineken brewery is Ferdinand Bolstraat, a
very typical Amsterdam shopping street with endless places to get a snack.
FEBO, an automat about 4 blocks up on the left side, is a pretty common
place for fries. Only problem is, walking up the street, you'll likely be
tempted by the Turkish or Indonesian or Israeli or Nepali food you come
across before the fries, and spoil your appetite.

Also, I don't have Euro... and I don't want to run around to find a
currecy exchange. Is it easy to spot the currency exchange in the airport?
I know using ATM to withdraw money is more efficient, but I only have Plus
debit card. Will I pass any of ATM machines which takes plus card in the
airport or is it quick and easy to just convert cash at the exchange?

Plus cards work in ABN and VSB bank machines. There are definitely some ABN
machines at the airport; not sure about VSB. The ABN logo is like a green
shield with a yellow wedge at the bottom.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Wim

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Plus cards work in ABN and VSB bank machines. There are definitely
some ABN machines at the airport; not sure about VSB. The ABN logo is
like a green shield with a yellow wedge at the bottom.

The name VSB has been replaced by Fortis.

Old December 15th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Miguel Cruz

Derek McBryde wrote:
I think it's a great tour and one which I have done several times
because it is just so much fun. The physical tour itself is quite
short, but everyone ends up in the old cafeteria where they sit you
down and supply endless free beer for the rest of the visit.
Strangers quickly become friends )

I agree - I've done it three or four times - usually when showing
first-time-visiting friends around town - and it's always been lots of fun
(well, not the propaganda films, though years later the music is still stuck
in my head). On a few occasions we've started real friendships at those
tables.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/