Stopping at St Thomas, St Maarten, and San Juan

Old October 26th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Train

Default Stopping at St Thomas, St Maarten, and San Juan

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to where to go for
the day at St Thomas, St Maarten and San Juan as we are stopping there on
our cruise. We really enjoy snorkelling and seeing historical sites. Any
suggestions would be great thanks...

Train

Old October 26th, 2003, 06:42 PM
RotterdamStudents

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to where to go for
the day at St Thomas, St Maarten and San Juan as we are stopping there on
our cruise. We really enjoy snorkelling and seeing historical sites. Any
suggestions would be great thanks...

Train

http://www.st-maarten.com

RotterdamStudents

Old October 26th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"Train" wrote:

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to where to go for
the day at St Thomas, St Maarten and San Juan as we are stopping there on
our cruise. We really enjoy snorkelling and seeing historical sites. Any
suggestions would be great thanks...

The usually suggestion for St. THomas is to take a cab to the ferry
and take the ferry over to St. John for the day snorkeling on the
beach.

grandma Rosalie
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:26 PM
GuyUSVI

Hi There,

Here are my suggestions of some of the things you should do if you visit St.
Thomas…..of course what and how many things you do will depend on how much
time you have.

If you like history…take a walking tour of downtown Charlotte Amalie…..it
will tire you out in the heat but it's worth it. Go to Fort Christian and
spend a couple of hours…free admission, some interesting exhibits..and great
views for picture taking on the roof of the fort. Go see the Governor's
residence if it is open that day. Stop by the Crystal Palace and see a
fabulous place that now is a wonderful B&B…say hello to Ronnie when you are
there. Visit the landmarks. Go to Drake's Seat and pretend you're Sir Francis
Drake watching the Spanish fleet sail by while your ships are hiding in Magens
Bay. If you want to see the Caribbean…both the sea and the culture....drive
around the island. I always rent a car because you can go where you want to
go, when you want to go there and visit all the non-tourist places that let you
discover the 'real' island….not just the few areas that one-day visitors
normally get to see. Head to Paradise Point and view the mountains, look out
at the other islands from the higher levels.

Go to Frenchtown and experience that culture……eat at one of the very good
restaurants down there. Head west on the island..past the airport and the UVI
campus and spend some time at Brewer's Bay. Pick up some sea shells while you
are there and grab a bite to eat and a cold beer from one of the roadside
vending trucks.

Go to visit the parts of the island that are off the tourist path. Stop at a
roadside produce stand and take a while to talk to the locals….ask about
their offerings and enjoy some great fresh fruit. Remember….whenever you run
into a local…just say "hello" and ask how they are…..they will start
talking to you right away…they will ask you "how do you like our island" and
they will mean it.

Take a day trip over to Tortola and see where they make Sunny Caribe spices or
shop in Pusser's….go to St. John and visit the beaches or the artist's
community…go to Water Island…..go to St. Croix and see the "other" Virgin
Island…..or go to any number of other BVI's that can be easily reached from
St. Thomas.

Other things to do or see……shop of course. St. Thomas has some really
"different" shops in addition to those you probably know about (jewelry, china
and the like). Make sure you go to Local Color, go to Mountain Top or Paradise
Point, go to Coral World, and go to Tillett Gardens. Stop at Red Hook and try
Rhiannon's right below and one building over from the Caribbean Steak House &
Saloon or check your email at the internet connection you can make a the
Grateful Deli. The Atlantis submarine is still there and it is interesting but
a bit pricey. Also be sure to look while you are driving. You will find
several really unusual things to stop and visit from local pottery studios to
very unusual houses and out of the way shops…..in season look for softball
games or other sporting events that the locals are having. And finally, be
sure to take in the beaches….St. Thomas has several and they are all
different. Magens, Coki, Frenchman's, Hull, Dorothea, Limetree, Bolongo,
Secret Harbour, Sapphire, and all the others

Schultz

Old October 27th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
(GuyUSVI) wrote:

Hi There,

Here are my suggestions of some of the things you should do if you visit St.
Thomas…..of course what and how many things you do will depend on how much
time you have.

They are probably only going to have one day.

If you like history…take a walking tour of downtown Charlotte Amalie…..it
will tire you out in the heat but it's worth it. Go to Fort Christian and
spend a couple of hours…free admission, some interesting exhibits..and great
views for picture taking on the roof of the fort. Go see the Governor's
residence if it is open that day. Stop by the Crystal Palace and see a
fabulous place that now is a wonderful B&B…say hello to Ronnie when you are
there. Visit the landmarks. Go to Drake's Seat and pretend you're Sir Francis
Drake watching the Spanish fleet sail by while your ships are hiding in Magens
Bay. If you want to see the Caribbean…both the sea and the culture....drive
around the island. I always rent a car because you can go where you want to
go, when you want to go there and visit all the non-tourist places that let you

This sounds like a real good itinerary.

Remember though, they drive on the left in left-hand drive cars.