US Airways changes non-refundable policy!

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Ray Lozano

Default US Airways changes non-refundable policy!

US Airways has seen the light! Hallelujah!

They have finally followed the rest of the industry and loosened their
harsh policy on non-refundable tickets. See their press release at
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030913/dcsa001_1.html

I don't know if this will help my situation, but I want to thank the
more than 1,000 people who visited my web site since it went online on
last weekend.

--
Flyer beware!
Ray Lozano
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:47 PM
mrtravel

Ray Lozano wrote:

US Airways has seen the light! Hallelujah!

They have finally followed the rest of the industry and loosened their
harsh policy on non-refundable tickets. See their press release at
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030913/dcsa001_1.html

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Mark Hewitt

"mrtravel" wrote in message
.com...
Ray Lozano wrote:

US Airways has seen the light! Hallelujah!

They have finally followed the rest of the industry and loosened their
harsh policy on non-refundable tickets. See their press release at
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030913/dcsa001_1.html

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

Thus meaning the aren't non-refundable tickets any more?

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:47 PM
mrtravel

Mark Hewitt wrote:
"mrtravel" wrote in message
.com...

Ray Lozano wrote:

US Airways has seen the light! Hallelujah!

They have finally followed the rest of the industry and loosened their
harsh policy on non-refundable tickets. See their press release at
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030913/dcsa001_1.html

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

Thus meaning the aren't non-refundable tickets any more?

They are still non refundable, but for a brief time some airlines had
made them unchangeable

If they were refundable and changeable, what would be the point of
buying more expensive tickets?

Old September 13th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Yaofeng

mrtravel wrote in message y.com...
Ray Lozano wrote:

US Airways has seen the light! Hallelujah!

They have finally followed the rest of the industry and loosened their
harsh policy on non-refundable tickets. See their press release at
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030913/dcsa001_1.html

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

I don't understand why it stated the change to following the rest of
the industry. As far as I know, CO still has this policy that you
must comit to a change prior to departure. This means if you want to
change but haven't decided when to fly, you have to pay change fees
twice. The announced policy change is good. I hope CO follow suit.
Old September 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Mark Hewitt

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...

They are still non refundable, but for a brief time some airlines had
made them unchangeable

I see. I thought non-fundable tickets meant the flight details were fixed
and no changes would be allowed and no refunds given. That was the case with
some domestic British Airways tickets I bought this year.

I believe my transatlantic tickets could have been changed for a £75 fee
however.

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Ray Lozano

mrtravel wrote in news:GCJ8b.194$hR2.28203223
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

As I wrote in my letter to US Airways in August, I was fully prepared to
pay extra for any changes in my itinerary.

--
Flyer beware!
Ray Lozano
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:02 AM
mrtravel

Ray Lozano wrote:

mrtravel wrote in news:GCJ8b.194$hR2.28203223
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

You would have had to pay a change fee to use the tickets on a future
flight. This wouldn't have stopped you from buying the one way AA
tickets and losing your US return flights. You would have had to pay a
fee of probably $100-200 per ticket to have them credited on future
travel.

As I wrote in my letter to US Airways in August, I was fully prepared to
pay extra for any changes in my itinerary.

Then why didn't you pay for a ticket on the next US Airways flight
available after you got your birth certs?
When the US Airways person told you to talk to your travel agent, did
you ask to speak to a supervisor?

As I understood it, your TA talked to US and for $700, you could have
use the tickets on another flight. I think there was some confusion with
the TA on whether you could simply pay this fee and change your current
trip's flight. So, the question is, why did you end up paying for a new
ticket on a different carrier and not simply try to make a later US flight?

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:18 AM
maryanne kehoe

Delta also has chaned their policy (on Monday of this week I think), it
is now similar to what US Airways will be doing.

I think that is sensible----I had to pay the international change fee
($200) on a ticket that had an original return date of July 31st. I
rasied hell with DL, as they wanted me to eat the value of the ticket.

Old September 14th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Dave Proctor

Whilst undoubtedly under the effects of alcohol, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
om...

They are still non refundable, but for a brief time some airlines had
made them unchangeable

I see. I thought non-fundable tickets meant the flight details were fixed
and no changes would be allowed and no refunds given. That was the case with
some domestic British Airways tickets I bought this year.

No, that is "non-refundable, non-changeable", something totally
different to "non-refundable".

=========

Dave

Don't Drink Drive....