moving to Perpignan / Languedoc, France

Old April 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
the bitch from hell

Default moving to Perpignan / Languedoc, France

On 4 Apr, 23:10, "Runge1" wrote:
You know nothing about France, nevertheless you roll on
Eat your steak and kidney pie and don't type with your mouth full.

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here a écrit dans le
message denews: ftSdndKmF8wDQo7bRVny__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__ ...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Many people - myself included - had thoughts of moving to France and
getting the same job as I had in Britain.

That suggests inadequate research on your part, which would cause you
problems even moving within the UK.

1. Budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet offer low fares,

On many routes, so do mainline airlines. Last I looked, on flights to
Toulouse I could save all of £3 by driving an extra hour and a half in the
UK to use a budget airline as compared to flying with BA. In the summer,
when BA does flights into Montpellier, it is also by far the most
convenient.

but if
you have a debit card, it is impossible to pay for a flight starting
from France, because the fare is charged in Euros, and with a debit
card, purchases on the internet must be in £sterling.

How did you buy a house in France without a French bank account?

2. The French systems are bureaucratic. Even buying a secondhand car
entails a visit to the local mairie to register this.

That shouldn't be a problem, as it is only polite to introduce yourself to
the mayor on arrival, so you will know where the mairie is.

3. Remember that you are in France and that many French do not speak
English. Whilst French is relatively easy to understand elsewhere in
France, the Catalan dialect is often difficult to understand.

IME perseverence and a willingness on both sides usually overcomes that.
My next-door neighbours have thick Languedoc accents.

Imagine
trying to hold a conversation about needing your fan belt changed or
how to plumb a washing machine.

Do getting an oil leak in my power steering sorted and discussing central
heating boiler with a service man count instead? Changing a fan belt,
plumbing and replacing a melted bus-bar in the electricity distribution
board are simply DIY jobs in my book.

Insurance policies, legal notices,
taxes, etc, are all written in French, with no English equivalent.

I had noticed that. I've not found it a problem.

5. If you miss paying your France Telecom phone bill, the company will
disconnect your line and it will cost you 150Euros for the service to
be reinstalled.

With global roaming on my mobile, I've not found a need for a land line in
France.

6. Regarding employment, you would be better off running your own
small business there,

ROTFL.

As you said earlier, the French love bureaucracy and, it would appear,
nowhere more than in regulating businesses. France is the last place I
would want to set one up.

8. Ensure that you have an adequate medical policy. If not, even
though the new E111 card will cover some costs, ...

The European Health Insurance Card (the E111 is obsolete) is only for use
by UK residents who are temporarily visting another EU country. Using it
to obtain free medical treatement when resident in France is not
permitted.

Colin Bignell- Hide quoted text -

what a bunch of ugly, semi-human morons, to have written such bitter
and sordid responses. bring on the spam, that's what I say. who does
that dickhead Runge think he is? It just proves that the internet is
full of sad ugly repulsive kiddy fiddlers
PS I Met runge, he is revolting

Old April 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
the bitch from hell

On 4 Apr, 23:18, (Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein) wrote:
wrote:

I found a good company called Guardian Property Management who gave me
lots of advice. Their details arehttp://www.guardian-management.8k.com,
telephone 00 33 633 309 038.

{ spam forwarded to }

Y.

--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
AADP's 'left-wing Jewish intellectual'

france is a ********, who would ever want to move there, let alone pay
some management company for the pleasure of that?