weekend in milan

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default weekend in milan

Hi

Me (23) ma older sis (26) younger sis (12) and mum (40 sumfing) are
going milan for easter wekend...getting there fri evening and cuming
back monday...since we have very little time dere, I want to make a
rough plan of what to do so we dont miss any of the best bits out....

1st question: how far is Milan Orio al Serio (BGY) airport from
Centrale Station (our hotel is near there) and what would be the best
way of getting there????

Thanks in advance

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

1st question: how far is Milan Orio al Serio (BGY) airport from
Centrale Station (our hotel is near there) and what would be the best
way of getting there????

Have a look at
http://www.sacbo.it/Editorial/newsCa...ditorialID=171

Unfortunately, Orlo al Serio isn't really a Milan airport, but is at
Bergamo. You'll need to get a shuttle bus from the airport to Bergamo
station and take a train from there. Trains take about an hour, but note
that some arrive at Milano P. Garibaldi rather than Centrale. (Two stops on
the underground between the two stations in Milan.)

Alan Harrison

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Me (23) ma older sis (26) younger sis (12) and mum (40 sumfing) are
going milan for easter wekend...getting there fri evening and cuming
back monday...since we have very little time dere, I want to make a
rough plan of what to do so we dont miss any of the best bits out....

Sorry I didn't respond to this part of your message.

This depends very much on what interests you. Certainly you should see the
cathedral (Duomo) and the church of Saint Ambrose (Sant'Ambrogio), both of
which helpfully stand right by the underground stations named after them.
The castle (Castello Sforzesco) is interesting, if heavily restored, and
fine art fans shouldn't miss the Pinacoteca di Brera. Have a look at some of
the posh shops in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and the Via Montenapoleone.
A ride on one of the magnificent trams dating from 1928 is a must.

If quaint mediaeval stuff is more your cup of tea, as you're arriving at
Orlo al Serio, Bergamo might be a better place to stay.

Alan Harrison

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Thanks for all your replies....

Found a site (http://milan.angloinfo.com/information/31/airports.asp)
which says:

Bus: Shuttle buses connect Milan Central Train Station (Stazione
Centrale) and Orio al Serio airport. The journey lasts approximately
one hour.
(http://www.zaniviaggi.it/zani_orari/orio_lambrate/
orari_orio_lambrate_eng.asp)
costing about 7 euros each
(DOES THAT NOT MEAN THAT THE SHUTTLE BUS GOES ALL THE WAY?)

OR

Train: From Bergamo railway station take the ATB service to the
airport. The journey takes 10 minutes from the station to the airport.
(http://www.trenitalia.com/)

I read on the net somewhere that I could get a 72 hr metro card (or
sumfing?!) like dat... which would be ideal so that we can use it 2
get anywhere, right??? Is there a such thing??? and if so where could
I buy that from? and would it include in the shuttle buses???

Thanks again for the replies

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all your replies....

Found a site (http://milan.angloinfo.com/information/31/airports.asp)
which says:

Bus: Shuttle buses connect Milan Central Train Station (Stazione
Centrale) and Orio al Serio airport. The journey lasts approximately
one hour.
(http://www.zaniviaggi.it/zani_orari/orio_lambrate/
orari_orio_lambrate_eng.asp)
costing about 7 euros each
(DOES THAT NOT MEAN THAT THE SHUTTLE BUS GOES ALL THE WAY?)

Yes. More convenient than the alternative og going to Bergamo station and
then using the train.

Alan Harrison

Old March 27th, 2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on 27 Mar 2007 04:36:45 -0700,
has scripted:

Thanks for all your replies....

Found a site (
http://milan.angloinfo.com/information/31/airports.asp)
which says:

Bus: Shuttle buses connect Milan Central Train Station (Stazione
Centrale) and Orio al Serio airport. The journey lasts approximately
one hour.
(http://www.zaniviaggi.it/zani_orari/orio_lambrate/
orari_orio_lambrate_eng.asp)
costing about 7 euros each
(DOES THAT NOT MEAN THAT THE SHUTTLE BUS GOES ALL THE WAY?)

Yes, the bus goes all the way. The area outside of Centrale is big
though, and you might have trouble finding it.

Train: From Bergamo railway station take the ATB service to the
airport. The journey takes 10 minutes from the station to the airport.
(http://www.trenitalia.com/)

I read on the net somewhere that I could get a 72 hr metro card (or
sumfing?!) like dat... which would be ideal so that we can use it 2
get anywhere, right??? Is there a such thing??? and if so where could
I buy that from? and would it include in the shuttle buses???

Enquire at the newsstands. They will sell you one, if you can
communicate with them. Try "Mi dą un biglietto per trč giorni" or
something like that.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank F. Matthews

Mimi wrote:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...

Make credence recognised that on 27 Mar 2007 00:57:06 -0700,
has scripted:

Hi

Me (23) ma older sis (26) younger sis (12) and mum (40 sumfing) are
going milan for easter wekend...getting there fri evening and cuming
back monday...since we have very little time dere, I want to make a
rough plan of what to do so we dont miss any of the best bits out....

The main bits are the Duomo and Castello Sforzesco (try say that after
a couple of drinks). The last supper is out of the question, as you
need to book ahead a long way.

Shopping: Corso Buenos Aires is not a bad area.

Eating: Porto Cinese is not a bad area to go in the evening. Lively,
and quite nice to walk around.

What about the Last Supper? Surely that's one of the great sights of Milan.
You need to reserve to see this:
http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/las...er-tickets.php

Don't know how far ahead one needs to book.

Marianne

Why spend so much effort on a reconstruction?