Renting a car in Dublin, Ireland - Be aware of Europcar !!!

Old April 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Default Renting a car in Dublin, Ireland - Be aware of Europcar !!!

Roberto wrote on Apr 10, 2010:

*But* it is exactly what I have always assumed would happen if I were
unlucky enough to have an accident in a hired car when abroad. This is
why I always pay whatever extra charge is levied for CDW (collision
damage waiver). It seems from your original post that you declined to pay
this because as you said, "the exemption was pretty high". Presumably the
charge was high because the risk was high. If you thought it was
unreasonably high you should have tried elsewhere, but to refuse
insurance because it costs too much is not sensible.

I did not choose CDW because I usually do so (not even for my personal
car).
Isn't CDW suppose to cover the damage when the driver himself is
responsible?
In 20 years of car rentals I never bought CDW, and when I made damages
to the car I payed myself whithout complaining (sometimes I even went
myself to the workshop before returning the car).
Or is CDW thought to be for damages done by the faulty part? I don't
think so, in fact Europcar did not say they will not refund (to tell
the truth Europcar said nothing, they have been almost completely
silent for 1 year, which is maybe even worse ).

Do other rental companies behave the same? I don't know, I have no
proof of that, just as well.
In theory the logic is that, but in practice it is unconceivable that
this company has not refunded me or at least kept me informed for 1
year (they no longer answer to my emails - I got the notice that the
responsible has agreed to pay only through solicitation to the the
headquarter and help from the italian branch).

As far as I know most rental companies are not at all interested in who is to
blame. You as the renter are liable for any damage according to the agreement
you sign and you are the one they demand payment from. It is up to you to get
the guilty party to pay you for the damage if you can. If you are abroad at
the time this will probably be next to impossible. It's not "fair" but it's
the way it is.

You may be able to find a rental company that will undertake to chase up the
one who is to blame, get a payment from them and then reimburse you, but I
doubt it. It would undoubtedly cost you more in rental which most people
would be unwilling to pay

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Roberto[_2_]

I want to thank all the people who contributed to the discussion.
I got a few good suggestion about the solicitation. I will think over
this option.
Thanks again
Roberto