Travel in Japan, Climb Mount Fuji

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:02 PM
cat

Default Travel in Japan, Climb Mount Fuji

I am planning a trip to Japan in which I would like to see the major
attractions in 2 weeks or slightly more, plus walk up Mt Fuji. Can
anybody give me information on English-speaking guides that will take
visitors up Mt Fuji?

In addition, has anybody taken holidays in Japan with a company called
Samurai Tours or Samurai Travel Services, and if they have, what did
you think of them?

Old January 13th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Jodes

My husband and I went to Japan in October.

We found the bullet trains were the best way of getting around. They
are so clean and always on time plus they are very frequent. We
Purchased a rail pass from our travel agent before leaving Australia
(its only available for tourists). We could rock up to the booking
office at the train station of a morning show our pass and they would
issue us a ticket on the next train to our desired destination. It was
also valid on certain rail lines within Tokyo including the bullet train
from the airport.

We went to Mount Fuji on a day tour from Tokyo, which we found very
long and slightly painful since we are normally very indepent
travellers. But we only had one day free and I dont think we could have
seen as much by ourselves. Someone had told us not to take the train out
because you then have to find a way to get up the mountain where as the
bus took us up as far as the road goes and we had about an hour to walk
around the lookout and gift shop.

Hope this helps.

--
Jodes
Jodes's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=519

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
bunster

We did a 2 week tour of Japan back in October 2003. I think in a span
of 2 weeks we covered some of the major sites. We're actually going
back this spring for 4 weeks to check out the cherry blossoms and the
World Expo. :-)

Here's where we visited:
Hakone (briefly caught glimpse of Mt. Fuji)
Kyoto
Hiroshima (day trip)
Miyajima Island
Tokyo

We planned everything ourselves and got a JapanRail Pass via JTB. All
of our accomodations were booked online. Surprisingly, we had very
little trouble getting around. If you want to climb Mt. Fuji, the
season is generally July and August. Maybe September if the weather is
agreeable. :-)

With a few good guidebooks, we planned our itinerary and made a list of
places and sights we wanted to see. It was fun planning it all. :-)
Good luck with your planning!