Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

Default Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever
Friday, 2nd March 2007, 07:24

Southern England has basked in the warmest winter on record, the Met Office
revealed today.

However, the low pressure that has kept temperatures high in the south may
bring a heavy price as heavy rain is predicted for the next few days.

Keith Fenwick, of the Met Office, said: "The immediate forecast is that it's
going to be wet overnight through to Saturday morning, and then we're
expecting more wet and windy weather this weekend.

"We could see a lot of rainfall, with a lot over parts of the south west,
the midlands and north west England. We could see up to 60mm in some parts,
particularly on Sunday, which is really quite wet."

But he added that the country had been experiencing record temperatures
through the winter, which had resulted in heavy rainfall over Wales, and 30
per cent more rain than usual for the country as a whole.

He said: "The temperatures across the country have been 1.5 or 2 degrees
above average in February, and if you expand that across the whole winter
it's been the same for the last three months, which makes it the second
warmest winter on record, and the records go back to 1914.

"But if you just look at southern England, it has been the warmest winter on
record, with temperatures of 6.53 degrees.

"The UK nationally had a mean temperature of 4.9 degrees in February up
until the 25th, which is one and a half degrees above the long term average
of 3.4 degrees.

"That's average over the whole of the UK for February, but if you look at
the regions, England itself had a mean temperature of 5.5, which is well
above average.

"But provisional figures for the month so far show that Carnarvonshire in
Wales has seen a 56 per cent increase in rain this winter, with 847.7
millimetres of rain.

"The figure that previously topped the league was 846.5 millimetres, which
was in winter 1990.

"It's because we've had these mild south west winds, and at this time of
year they are associated with the weather systems that cause rain.

"Early indications for spring are that this mild theme is going to continue,
and hand in hand with that is the rainfall, which has been 30 per cent above
average so far this winter, and that looks set to continue."

Mr Fenwick also said that Britain had been enjoying mild weather because
warm winds have been blowing from the Atlantic instead of the cold winds
that come from the Continent, meaning that the country had experienced less
frost than was usual at this time of year.

He said: "What we have had is a series of weather systems coming from the
Azores, south west over the Atlantic, and we've had an awful lot of south
west winds bringing mild weather, and with those weather systems comes the
rain.

"We haven't had a lot of Continental weather, coming from the other
direction, and there's no sign of that. We've not seen much of that weather
at all this winter. The weather from that direction is very cold, and it
normally means that we don't have much rain.

"If you have a very cold winter, that's normally associated with high
pressure, so you don't get the rainfall.

"You would normally expect about 11 days of frost in February, and we've had
seven, so that is fewer than you would normally expect."

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Earl Evleth wrote:

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Not "ever". The ancient Romans grew grape vines throughout the country.
Britain was a major wine producer.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:48:01 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Not "ever". The ancient Romans grew grape vines throughout the country.
Britain was a major wine producer.

I've been growing grapes for 35 years.

This is a family newsgroup Martin!

Any idea why the original message, which has some relevance to
travellers to Europe, was crossposted to a death-penalty newsgroup? Has
he completely lost his marbles now?

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
John Rennie

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
Earl Evleth wrote:

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Not "ever". The ancient Romans grew grape vines throughout the country.
Britain was a major wine producer.

And then again:

"There is archaeological evidence that British chiefs and warriors drank
imported wine, even in remote or anti-Roman tribal areas. The consumption of
Roman wine and other Roman products had actually become popular, amongst the
British elite in Southern and Central Britain, even before the Roman
invasion."

http://resourcesforhistory.com/Roman...in_Britain.htm

Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cochon Capitaliste

Yeah and smoking the leaves

Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_28_]

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Not "ever". The ancient Romans grew grape vines throughout the

country.
Britain was a major wine producer.

I've been growing grapes for 35 years.

This is a family newsgroup Martin!

You heard it on the grape vine.

This is turning into a newsgroup for silly history discussions.
I admire the "I'm an Italian so I know more about ancient Rome and Greece

than
Americans" approach.
That rules out Americans from being experts on most historical subjects.

Any idea why the original message, which has some relevance to
travellers to Europe, was crossposted to a death-penalty newsgroup? Has
he completely lost his marbles now?

AFAIR Earl and Earl clone messages are cross posted to a death penalty

group.
How else would they be able to get a response from so many trolls and a

plonk
response from us?

I noticed Mixi being an expert on aircraft pressurisation yesterday.

In his particular case I think his cabin pressurisation failed some time
go...thus his suffering from hypoxia.

--
Best
Greg

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever
Friday, 2nd March 2007, 07:24

Southern England has basked in the warmest winter on record, ...

.... with snow up to 15cm deep in places.

Colin Bignell

Old March 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Magda wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:05:25 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Martin
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... I've been growing grapes for 35 years.
... This is a family newsgroup Martin!
... You heard it on the grape vine.
... This is turning into a newsgroup for silly history discussions.
... I admire the "I'm an Italian so I know more about ancient Rome and Greece than
... Americans" approach.
... That rules out Americans from being experts on most historical subjects.

Oh please! They think that any 100-year building is "old"!

An American tourist to the New Forest (planted by Henry XIII)was heard
to say "hasn't it grown fast"!)
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jacqueline[_2_]

Earl Evleth wrote:

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever

Not "ever". The ancient Romans grew grape vines throughout the country.
Britain was a major wine producer.

I've been growing grapes for 35 years.

That can only be sour grapes!!!
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:16:36 +0100, Martin
writted:

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:14:44 -0000, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

Southern England Enjoys Warmest Winter Ever
Friday, 2nd March 2007, 07:24

Southern England has basked in the warmest winter on record, ...

... with snow up to 15cm deep in places.

for less than a day.

I sat on the beach this afternoon and almost got sunburnt. Thus far we
haven't had a winter, bar about 5 non consecutive days. It's mild
during the day, and cool at night.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com