Hawaii

Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge11

Default Hawaii

Hilo isn't very attractive, I would say sinister at night !

"Mimi" a écrit dans le message de
. ..

"to" wrote in message
.. .
Hello everyone, from Italy.
In the next month of August my wife and I plan to visit Hawaii for a
week.
I think to visit Maui and Oahu.
Do you have suggestions? Hotel?
Some suggestions for us that we want to relax and enjoy life by the
beach?

Waikiki is too crowded and touristy for our taste. We skip Oahu for the
less dense islands. Even Maui can be crowded around Lahaina and the south
shore. We prefer Kauai (the beautiful Garden Isle, lots of great beaches)
and the Big Island of Hawaii. The latter has Volcanos National Park with
an ongoing eruption, a dry sunny side (Kona) and a wet, jungly side
(Hilo). Most of the resorts are on the Kona side, where there are
relatively few beaches, but big resorts with artificial beaches.

Recommendations:

Kauai: the Hyatt near Poipu Beach --
http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

the Big Island: Kona Village Resort -- for living like a native:
www.konavillage.com/

Maui, if you must: Napili Kai Beach Resort: www.napilikai.com

Aloha,
Marianne

Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Runge11 wrote in article
:

Hilo isn't very attractive, I would say sinister at night !

Can you expand on that? I've been there a few days at a time several times, and
it's always seemed like an island version of most mainland small towns. Just
lots of ordinary people doing their ordinary things, hoping to make a decent
living for themselves and their families.

For some travelers it might seem small and boring, but I can't imaging
"sinister" describing anything I've seen in and around Hilo.

Hilo works well as a base for visiting the volcanoes to the southwest of town
and the rugged and beautiful coastal area north of Hilo.
--
Don Kirkman
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Don Kirkman wrote:
Hilo works well as a base for visiting the volcanoes to the southwest of town
and the rugged and beautiful coastal area north of Hilo.

And the National Botanical Gardens on the Scenic Road, and Umauma Falls,
and Rainbow Falls, and the Boiling Pots, and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut
Factory, and the Pacific Tsunami Museum, and Akaka Falls State Park, and
Lili`uokalani Gardens, and the Imola (sp?) Museum/Planetarium, and, ...

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

George wrote on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:08:09 -0500:

?? Lahaina. Maui also possesses Haliakala, the highest
?? Hawaiian volcanic peak (I think), with a road to the top
?? going from climate zones of tropical, temperate, high
?? mountain in a few hours.

G Haleakala isn't the highest in Hawaii. On Maui, yes, but
G Mauna Kea is the highest in Hawaii. That's on the Big
Island.

Right enough by quite a bit I see on checking but the drive up
Heleakala, watching the vegetation changing, is much more
dramatic than Mauna Loa. I remember the rental car practically
wheezing to a stop at the visitor center for Mauna Loa (or was
it Mauna Kea, I forget?) and that indicates the height!
According to the guide books, Haleakala is the world's highest
dormant volcano. You can even see snow on Mauna Loa from
Haleakala on a good day. The summit is a great place to watch
the sun set but it gets cold (sometimes, freezing in fact) when
the sun goes down.

..

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

James Silverton wrote:
...I remember the rental car practically wheezing to a stop at
the visitor center for Mauna Loa (or was it Mauna Kea, I forget?)

Probably Mauna Kea. The Mauna Kea visitor's center is at 9,000 feet.
The top of the mountain is at about 14,000 feet.

Check out my blog entry from our recent trip to the Big Island and Mauna
Kea. http://tinyurl.com/33jghl

--
===========================
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Don Kirkman wrote:
Hilo works well as a base for visiting the volcanoes to the southwest of
town
and the rugged and beautiful coastal area north of Hilo.

And the National Botanical Gardens on the Scenic Road, and Umauma Falls,
and Rainbow Falls, and the Boiling Pots, and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut
Factory, and the Pacific Tsunami Museum, and Akaka Falls State Park, and
Lili`uokalani Gardens, and the Imola (sp?) Museum/Planetarium, and, ...

Yes, but Hilo get 130 inches of rain per year and has 278 rainy days.

I like to visit Hilo, but I don't stay there.

By the way, Hilo has a nice farmers' market. We rent condominiums in
Hawaii, load up on fruit (pineapple, papayas, mangos, little bananas, local
oranges, lilikoi, etc.) at the markets, and feast on fruit salads.

Marianne