Moonlight Taj Mahal viewing approved

Old November 29th, 2004, 06:04 PM
WayneHazle

Default Moonlight Taj Mahal viewing approved

** I would LOVE to see the Taj at night. Well I did see it from my balcony at
the Mughal Sheraton, but to be int he courtyard.... whoa!

www.waynehazle.com/india/

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/11/25....ap/index.html

NEW DELHI, India (AP) -- Few things could be as romantic as gazing by moonlight
on the Taj Mahal -- an emperor's monument to love -- and it's now possible for
the first time in 20 years, thanks to a ruling Thursday by India's Supreme
Court.

The court said visitors can see the Taj Mahal on five moonlit nights every
month, but restricted their number to 400 each night to avoid overcrowding, the
Press Trust of India said.

The court said the temporary ruling would be reviewed after three months before
a final decision is made, the news agency said.

Kokab Hamid, tourism minister of Uttar Pradesh state, said authorities would
soon announce the date when night viewing of the monument could start in Agra,
180 kilometers (110 miles) southeast of New Delhi.

Night viewing was banned in 1984 due to fears of an attack on the 17th century
white marble structure by militant Sikhs, who were then fighting the government
for the independence of northern Punjab state. The Indian government crushed
the insurgency in the early 1990s.

The court already has ordered that X-ray machines and metal detectors be placed
at the entrance before moonlight viewing can begin.

The Taj Mahal was built by Mogul Emperor Shah Jahan between 1632 and 1654 as a
monument to his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal.

Thursday's ruling came as the state government was celebrating the Taj Mahal's
350th anniversary at a site two kilometers (1.5 miles) away.

The court, which must approve activities at the World Heritage site, has been
reluctant to permit large-scale events since a 1996 concert by Greek musician
Yanni brought complaints that floodlights and vibrations from the sound had
damaged the structure.

A total of 319,553 foreigners visited the Taj Mahal in 2003, said D.K. Barman,
head of the state tourist office in Agra.

The state government hopes the court's decision will boost tourism, which has
been hit hard by a global travel downturn since the September 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks in the United States, and fears in 2002 that India and
neighboring Pakistan might go to war. The two countries have since begun talks
aimed at reconciliation.

Old November 30th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Baphai

Cool, dont you have thumb nail? Only see numbers. The pictures of SEA lots
more clear last year, did you change some thing recently?

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:19 PM
WayneHazle

Cool, dont you have thumb nail? Only see numbers. The pictures of SEA lots
more clear last year, did you change some thing recently?

At first I wasn't sure what you meant. But I think you mean the South East
Asia section of my site. yes the scan of the pictures was pretty bad, and I
never did do thumbnails for that section.

Maybe someday I will rescan....

Wayne A. Hazle
http://www.waynehazle.com/travel/