Will it be a good idea to visit Kuala Lumpur over the Chinese New Year

Old January 6th, 2005, 06:13 PM
John Doe

Default Will it be a good idea to visit Kuala Lumpur over the Chinese New Year

Since there is a fair amount of chinese there and one of the "must
visits" on my itinery is the big night market in chinatown.

Hoping to hear from residents or people who have been there before
during that period.

Thank You!
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Miguel Cruz

John Doe wrote:
Since there is a fair amount of chinese there and one of the "must
visits" on my itinery is the big night market in chinatown.

Hoping to hear from residents or people who have been there before
during that period.

This February will be my first Chinese New Year in KL but my Chinese friends
tell me that the city empties out as a great many people go balik kampung
(to their hometowns to visit family) over the holiday.

Still I'm sure there'll be plenty of firecrackers and dragons. You might as
well give it a try if you're in the area.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:23 AM
hvpl

Try to make it the days BEFORE CNY where the shopping frenzy is at its peak.
CNY itself is a friends & family home affair for the first 2 days. Then, its
banquet after banquet until the 15th day of CNY.

Singapore would put up a Chingay procession during this period & would be
worth the experience.

om...

Old January 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , John Doe
says...
Since there is a fair amount of chinese there and one of the "must
visits" on my itinery is the big night market in chinatown.

Hoping to hear from residents or people who have been there before
during that period.

The town gets very quiet during Chinese New Year, as everybody heads
home to their parents. With night market I assume you mean Petaling
street ? It's mostly a place where to buy faked branded goods and cheap
CDs/DVDs.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal