Cost of living comparison between the EU and US?

Old August 14th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Viking

Default Cost of living comparison between the EU and US?

Been thinking about moving to the EU from the US for a few years. Does
anyone know of a web site with cost-of-living comparisons between the
US and various European countries? (Germany, UK, and France in
particular.) For a person who makes his living in US dollars, I'm
getting the impression that the EU is very expensive these days.
Thanks for any info.

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:31 AM

In article ,

*From:* Charles Hawtrey
*Date:* Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:45:34 GMT

[1] For a non-wrapping URL go to
http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

Thanks for that, Charles - I was in a great hurry and didn't have time to
TinyURL it or find another way through, as you did!

The poster formerly known as .
My new email address is that one, with the first digit of years in the
current century placed after the first word.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Viking

Thanks, looks very helpful.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Casey

Does anyone know of a web site with cost-of-living comparisons
between the US and various European countries? (Germany, UK,
and France in particular.)

Are prices in the US the same in all the States?

Good point. No, absolutely not. New York and San Francisco
are many times more expensive than the middle of the USA.

Casey

Old August 15th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Viking

Excellent tool, but like you, I wonder how reliable it is too. Thanks.
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM
BrianW

Not terribly reliable, at least when I plug in my current area and a
few other areas with which I am familiar. Moving from Philadelphia,
Pa., to Delaware (state) should result in a decreased cost of living
(based on friends who live there), but the calculator shows it as an
increased cost of living. I tried this with several different areas and
it came out wrong in each instance.