Favorite Meal onboard

Old March 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Default Favorite Meal onboard

Ok to keep interest going here lets put this out...( no its not a
press release thank Goodness)

Onboard your cruises- Which meal have you had that is most memorable?
where did you have it and what was it?

I will start..
Contrary to popular belief and 41 cruises, there have been several
excellent meals, but the meal that I remember most is onboard the
Carnival Legend
In the Specialty restaurant.
I love the set up and the music and the dance floor it all was
wonderful ambiance, and my meal was a lobster Bisque soup that came in
a tureen which all that was in it was a lobster claw meat and spices,
they came around with a Pot of Bisque to pour over it. VERY nice
presentation and it was the best Lobster Bisque I ever had.. then the
main meal served on fancy plates ( at the time) great presentation- I
had surf and turf which wa a lobster and a filet mignon and it was
HUGE....a BIG lobster tail wow... the othes at my table of 4 got the
lobster only meal and got 2 huge tails...
the service and the presentations were wonderful and most memorable..

YUM
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Susette, this is a fun topic! Talking food is right up my alley. Our
most memorable onboard meal was on a Carnival ship, too.

June 2005 - Carnival Miracle out of Tampa - Specialty restaurant

Here's what I posted as a part of my cruise review:

Our dinner at Nick and Nora's was on par with any upscale restaurant
experience and a steal at $30 per person (plus tip). The room is
lovely, and
seating is placed around the perimeter of the ship so you can enjoy a
nice
sunset view while you dine. A pianist and delightful vocalist
performing
Gershwin, Porter and the like added to the supper club atmosphere. The
table
was set with mixed Versace patterns of Rosenthal china. I had one of
the
best French onion soups I've ever had-the beef broth base was very
rich-and
the lobster and filet composing the "surf and turf" were excellent.
Everyone
in our party was extremely satisfied with their dishes. In particular,
there
is a chocolate dessert that comes in three parts that is to die for.
Service
was attentive and professional. Nick and Nora's is without a doubt the
best
specialty restaurant of any ship we've sailed to date. (Our five-
course meal
at Michelin-starred chef Michel Roux's Olympic restaurant on the
Millie last
summer was special; however, we thought there were several surprising
"misses" among the "hits." Of course, our reaction could reflect
nothing
more than we don't get out enough to appreciate the latest in French
cuisine, LOL.)

-------------

Can't wait to hear from others about special dining experiences at
sea!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Susette" wrote in message
Ok to keep interest going here lets put this out...( no its not a
press release thank Goodness)

Onboard your cruises- Which meal have you had that is most memorable?
where did you have it and what was it?

When it comes to specialty restaurants, Carnival does their "supper clubs"
right. I've had dinner in 4 of them and every one was truly excellent.

The Porterhouse steak on the Conquest was the best I have ever had, anywhere
at any price. It was all I could do from picking up the bone and gnawing on
it. I had sautéed mushrooms, grilled vegetables and a baked potato.
Appetizer was Escargot, then Onion soup, then Caesar Salad. It was also a
memorable meal because we had my brother and his wife with us... their first
cruise.

It was a nice evening.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dory Samuels

We have only had dinner at two specialty dining rooms. Carnival's
Miracle, Nick & Nora's (out of Tampa) was far, far superior to our
experience on Celebrity's Constellation. Can't remember the name of the
dining room but wouldn't go back for FREE. Loved Nick &
Nora's.....everything was superb including the service. I must
acknowledge RCGOS. While we didn't care for the regular meals on the
GOS there was a a fabulous Crown & Anchor, daytime party. Somewhat like
a Tapas bar that included baby lamb chops and all "finger" type food.
The dessert bar was the best chocolate creations.

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Susette wrote:

Ok to keep interest going here lets put this out...( no its not a
press release thank Goodness)

Onboard your cruises- Which meal have you had that is most memorable?
where did you have it and what was it?

I assume you mean on a commercial cruise and memorable for food in a
good way?

Because one of my most memorable meals was a breakfast on the
Statendam that we were having such a good time with our tablemates
(who we met for the first time that morning), that they almost had to
kick us out of the dining room.

I rarely eat in the specialty restaurants, and when I have done so, I
haven't been that impressed. The food was very good in most cases but
there was too much of it - I hated to leave any because it was good
and so I got full before I'd sampled all of it.

It might be better if I went there at lunch - I find lunches to be
better on the whole than dinners, and when I look back at my pictures,
there are more of what I remember as really good at the lunches.

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Susette" wrote in message
Ok to keep interest going here lets put this out...( no its not a
press release thank Goodness)

Onboard your cruises- Which meal have you had that is most memorable?
where did you have it and what was it?

Fun idea.

I think I need to split it up a bit...

Best appetizer was the goat cheese soufflé on Constellation (I still have
the recipe if anyone wants it... it was in a CC magazine). Second was the
Crab Cake in Todd English on the Queen Mary 2. Actually the sauce was more
memorable than the crab cake itself.

Best entrée? I love steak, but with our local Wegmans, I can get
outstanding fillet mignon and cook it on the grill in my back yard anytime I
want... so steak hot off my grill at home beats any steak (that has sat for
more than 60 seconds) on any ship. The Hake the first night on Celebrity
has always been very good. Any of the fishes on the QM2 were also very good
(except for the hazelnut crusted fish the one night when the coating
overpowered the very mild fish). I don't think I can recall any entrée as
being the most memorable.

Best soup? Two come to mind. The mushroom soup in a bread bowl in Li
Bistro on the Norwegian Dawn was superb. But my all time favorite has to be
the chilled strawberry soup on Celebrity ships.

Best salad? Probably the sliced pear salad in Todd English on QM2. It
comes on a unique plate, abut 24 inches long, and 6 inches wide. I can't
remember most salads, but I remember that one.

Best dessert? Simple.... the Mandarin Orange Crème Brule in Todd English on
the QM2. Hands Down. Case Closed!!! Most cruise ship desserts are rather
disappointing, but that was absolutely incredible. Without a doubt the best
and most memorable. Second best would be the chocolate cake they had on
Constellation in the specialty restaurant for high tea one afternoon. Best
chocolate cake I've ever had. I've never seen it since.

Most fun meals? Probably Johnny Rockets for lunch on Royal Caribbean. Also
the British Pub on the QM2 that had Shepherd's Pie, Bangers and Mashers, and
Pot Pies for lunch. Dinner at Chef's Galley on QM2 was also fun... like
Emeril Live at sea. The chef cooks, and the people are served the same
things (it has about 6 tables).

Weirdest meal? They had a really unusual breakfast that was invitation only
on the FreedomOTS this past December. The menu items were so weird, that I
asked for and got eggs Benedict instead.

--Tom

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Mar 11, 3:10*pm, "Tom K" wrote:

Weirdest meal? *They had a really unusual breakfast that was invitation only
on the FreedomOTS this past December. *The menu items were so weird, that I
asked for and got eggs Benedict instead.

If you want to see weird breakfast meals check out John Besh's New
Orleans LÜKE ...
Shrimp and Grits with poached eggs and a Champagne Peach Puree
cocktail ... for instance ...

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"number6" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 3:10 pm, "Tom K" wrote:

Weirdest meal? They had a really unusual breakfast that was invitation
only
on the FreedomOTS this past December. The menu items were so weird, that I
asked for and got eggs Benedict instead.

If you want to see weird breakfast meals check out John Besh's New
Orleans LÜKE ...
Shrimp and Grits with poached eggs and a Champagne Peach Puree
cocktail ... for instance ...

The one I saw was salad with vinagrette dressing with a poached egg on top.
For breakfast. The chef came around to the tables and asked how we liked
it. But then most people had ordered second items that were more normal...
the chef didn't stay long when he saw we didn't like his menu.

It was a "nice try"... but the menu was so unsuccessful that it was weird.

--Tom

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Mar 11, 11:51�am, D Ball wrote:
[...]

Diana
Loved your review and it was exactly what we had on our Cruise. People
hate carnival I mean not the best ine nor the worst But their
specialty meal was fabulous and your right the dessert OH MY