Paradisus Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:51 AM
CLK

Default Paradisus Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Sorry to be so late with this trip report about the Paradisus Punta Cana, in
the Dominican Republic. We had an excellent time last month. Before we left
we had read all the reviews on the internet, both good and bad. We never
found anything to complain about in 8 days. We can't even imagine how those
who complained had such a different experience. I think it is possible that
some people actually were talking about a different resort. We had a friend
who, when we told her we were going, said that she had been there several
years earlier. She told us all about the resort, except, it turns out, she
was talking about a different resort in Punta Cana, not the Paradisus. She
didn't even realize it. Maybe that's what causes the complaints; people see
Punta Cana and write their complaints without realizing they are in the
wrong resort discussion.

Upon arrival, we were given a full explanation about the resort, given our
shell armbands, room assignment, safe keys, etc. We were also served a
frozen drink before we left the counter. A very nice touch. There was no
waiting and no delays in getting to our room.

The resort was beautiful, clean, and spacious. The grounds were beautiful
with lush tropical greenery that was neatly trimmed and constantly being
cared for by workers. Our room was spacious and immaculate with beautiful
furniture and the maid service was excellent. The pool is beautiful.

The food in all 8 restaurants was very good and the service was wonderful.
We had breakfast in the buffet restaurant every day and the staff quickly
got to know us, where we liked to sit, and remembered that we wanted
champaign with the meal. We usually tipped several of them a dollar or two
every day because of their attentiveness. I believe that these small tips
were really appreciated.

The liquor was top shelf and freely given. In spite of this, we only saw
one person who was drunk. He was part of a large family of 16 who were there
and he tried to fight with another member of the family while in the pool.
The rest of the family took care of him. Other than this there was no
indication of over drinking on anyone's part.

All resort personnel from bartenders, servers, cleaning staff, those
involved with gardening, and many of those who were renovating several
buildings on the grounds were very friendly. Almost every person smiled and
said "Ola" whenever we passed them, day or night. The bartenders often would
dance to the music which was always playing in the background and were
always smiling and attentive.

The beach was beautiful and chairs were abundant. We spent a lot of time
there and there were many shady spots if you wanted to get out of the sun.
The topless ladies were also appreciated, maybe just 9 or 10 of them at any
one time.

The entertainers who put on a different show every night were excellent.
They really seemed to enjoy what they were doing and their many costumes
were beautiful. Their dancing skills were very good and well choreographed.
After the performances they would stay around at the dancing area at the
nearby bar and dance among the guests who were having a great time. There
were a few merengue "line" dances that they did each night that were a lot
of fun and many guests joined them. We even bought a CD of these songs so
we could reminisce at home.

I was originally reluctant to go to this type of resort because I am a BIG
fan of cruising but I am a convert. This resort had everything a cruise has
but more, and better. Better food, better drinks, and friendlier staff. The
guest were mostly from Europe and S. America and the Americans probably
amounted to about 20%. So expect a lot of smoking, especially since the
resort provides free cigarettes at all the bars. Since everything was
outdoors basically, this was not a problem

We are looking forward to going again next year. Asta la vista.

Don S.
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Steven Goodman

CLK wrote:

The liquor was top shelf and freely given.

I am curious, what liquors did they actually have? Were they really
"top shelf", or only call? Did they have:

Bombay Saphire
Grey Goose or Kettel One
Makers Mark
Gentleman Jack
Petron
Any single malt scotch?

Or did they have "call" liquors?

Thank You,

Steven Goodman

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
CLK

I don't drink those you named and didn't look that closely but saw all the
familiar names like Jack Daniels,and a single malt scotch, etc. I asked for
a Grand Marnier (which I consider top shelf), thinking I'd get a liquor
glass. Instead I got I got a small brandy snifter with about 8 oz. of this
wonderful liquor in it. Don S.

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Joe Duffy

In article ,
Steven Goodman wrote:
CLK wrote:

The liquor was top shelf and freely given.

I am curious, what liquors did they actually have? Were they really
"top shelf", or only call? Did they have:

Bombay Saphire
Grey Goose or Kettel One
Makers Mark
Gentleman Jack
Petron
Any single malt scotch?

Good question. When I visited Sandals St. Lucia
(Grande, I think), they claimed to have top shelf
liquor but the only one I saw was Bombay Sapphire.
They also were not prone to making your drinks much
stronger if you asked, so I began to ask for a glass
full of Bombay Sapphire on ice.
I would've expected(and enjoyed) at least one or
two top shelf scotches or bourbons, however they
had neither, not even a high end blended scotch
like Johnnie Walker Black, let alone a single malt.

Joe

Old June 28th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Cramden

CLK wrote:

The liquor was top shelf and freely given.

I am curious, what liquors did they actually have? Were they really
"top shelf", or only call? Did they have:

Bombay Saphire
Grey Goose or Kettel One
Makers Mark
Gentleman Jack
Petron
Any single malt scotch?

Or did they have "call" liquors?

Thank You,

Steven Goodman

Some of the brands we saw included Stolis, Absolute, Tangueray, Beefeaters,
Grand Marnier, Drambuie, Tia Maria, Baileys, Kahlua, Jack Daniels, Southern
Comfort, Canadian Club, Cutty Sark Johnny Walker Black and Red, Amaretto de
Sarona, Chivas, Frangelico, Fonsecca Port, Contreau.

Classify as you wish, but a mighty fine list for an All-Inclusive in that
price range.

-Cramden
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Steven Goodman

CLK wrote:

[...]

Not "top shelf", but pretty good stuff. Most are "call" and some are
"premium". Liquors are basically classified as well, call, premium or
top shelf. It isn't exactly a precise science!

Stoli and Absolute are normally "call", but so is Smirnof, and it is a
lot cheaper.

But Paradisus seems to have a pretty good selection. Better than many
all-inclusives often offer.

Steven Goodman