Importing British Cars to Spain

Old August 8th, 2004, 05:54 PM
tim

Default Importing British Cars to Spain

"Dieselman" wrote in message
m...

Does anybody know the rules for importing a British registered car to

Spain?

Someone has posted a link to the rules in the past but I can't
find it now.

Both are in the EEC

so they are. Unfortunately there is no link between
the countries' registration databases.

but I am told that I have to pay import duty

I don't think that this is correct. If you have a used car
that you have driven in the UK before you move to spain
you do not have to pay the duties. But you do have to
re-register it.

If you are importing a newly built car you save the taxes in
the UK but pay the ones in the country you export to (this
rule is to stop locals avoiding their own country's tax
by nipping over the border to buy a new car)

and that I can only keep a British registed car in Spain
for a maximum of 12 months.

If this is correct you are lucky, for most countries it is six.

tim

Old August 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Nige

"tim" wrote in message

"Dieselman" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.ukinspain.com/english/Con...ons=30&lang=en

Look at the British Embassy in Spain website?