domestic travel w/14 yo

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

Default domestic travel w/14 yo

I will be traveling next summer with my grandson, who will by then be
14 yo. We are going from OR to DC, NYC, Phil., not leaving the
country. Have checked state dept and several airline sites for info
needed ID, travel permission docs, medical permission docs, etc.
Obviously, once we have airline tix I will check directly with the
airline, but am trying to determine if I need to carry written
permission from his parents to travel with him. I also believe I
should have an authorization to provide medical consent. I have
looked for info and forms online, but everything I see relates to
international requirements.

Years ago when my son was this age I remember haing some preprinted
forms which I provided to his grandparents. Any ideas?
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

am trying to determine if I need to carry written
permission from his parents to travel with him

I'm not sure if you'll really need that for domestic travel, but forms
like that are usually called something like "Temporary Guardianship
Authorization". The parents can fill it out and then get it notarized.

Here are some examples:
http://www.theaterofthesea.com/autho..._care_form.htm
http://www.free-legal-document.com/f...ship-form.html

Also the reference desk at your public library might have some on file
that you could Xerox, or maybe your local probate court.

James
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

am trying to determine if I need to carry written
permission from his parents to travel with him

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:33:00 -0800 (PST),
wrote:I'm not sure if you'll really need that for domestic travel,
but forms
like that are usually called something like "Temporary Guardianship
Authorization". The parents can fill it out and then get it notarized.

Here are some examples:
http://www.theaterofthesea.com/autho..._care_form.htm
http://www.free-legal-document.com/f...ship-form.html

Also the reference desk at your public library might have some on file
that you could Xerox, or maybe your local probate court.

James

Thx.. I will check those out
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

"Carole Allen" wrote in message

am trying to determine if I need to carry written
permission from his parents to travel with him

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:33:00 -0800 (PST),
wrote:I'm not sure if you'll really need that for domestic travel,
but forms
like that are usually called something like "Temporary Guardianship
Authorization". The parents can fill it out and then get it notarized.

Here are some examples:
http://www.theaterofthesea.com/autho..._care_form.htm
http://www.free-legal-document.com/f...ship-form.html

Also the reference desk at your public library might have some on file
that you could Xerox, or maybe your local probate court.

James

Thx.. I will check those out

Check with your grandson's pediatrician. He/she should have current
information. I think the med authority should be all you need since it's
your own grandson. Outside the airports, you won't really run into
authorities, which is very unlike foreign travel.

Keith

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
A Mate[_2_]

You will be a grandparent, acting 'in loco parentis' - and really do not
require any authorisation. Should any doubt exist in an emergent medical
situation his parents will be able to be contacted easily, surely.

The bumph is taken to foreign countries because contact back home is
sometimes difficult.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

I will be traveling next summer with my grandson, who will by then be
14 yo. We are going from OR to DC, NYC, Phil., not leaving the
country. Have checked state dept and several airline sites for info
needed ID, travel permission docs, medical permission docs, etc.
Obviously, once we have airline tix I will check directly with the
airline, but am trying to determine if I need to carry written
permission from his parents to travel with him. I also believe I
should have an authorization to provide medical consent. I have
looked for info and forms online, but everything I see relates to
international requirements.

Years ago when my son was this age I remember haing some preprinted
forms which I provided to his grandparents. Any ideas?

Why not carry written permission from the boy's parents? How much effort
is it to have the kid's parents write a letter and sign it, and notarize
it?

That's what I did when I took my 16-year-old nephew to Croatia and Bosnia.
The State Dept. website does say to do it. It wasn't ever asked for, but it
made me feel more comfortable in a post-9/11, baby-snatching world.
International travel is the big deal, because as you know, relatives do
snatch kids in custody battles. As I was reminded, a teenager (taller than
me) is old enough to raise a fuss if he or she is being abducted. It helps
to have the same last name.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:01:38 -0500, Shawn Hirn
wrote:
Why not carry written permission from the boy's parents? How much effort
is it to have the kid's parents write a letter and sign it, and notarize
it?

That's probably what we'll do.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:10:21 -0500, "Sarah Banick"
wrote:
That's what I did when I took my 16-year-old nephew to Croatia and Bosnia.
The State Dept. website does say to do it. It wasn't ever asked for, but it
made me feel more comfortable in a post-9/11, baby-snatching world.
International travel is the big deal, because as you know, relatives do
snatch kids in custody battles. As I was reminded, a teenager (taller than
me) is old enough to raise a fuss if he or she is being abducted. It helps
to have the same last name.

My only concern is the airline/TSA...you never know what new hitch
they will throw at you at the last minute..

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

wrote:
That's what I did when I took my 16-year-old nephew to Croatia and Bosnia.
The State Dept. website does say to do it. It wasn't ever asked for, but
it
made me feel more comfortable in a post-9/11, baby-snatching world.
International travel is the big deal, because as you know, relatives do
snatch kids in custody battles. As I was reminded, a teenager (taller than
me) is old enough to raise a fuss if he or she is being abducted. It helps
to have the same last name.

My only concern is the airline/TSA...you never know what new hitch
they will throw at you at the last minute..

Or which unreasonable idiot will review your documents....