Cycling Through from Northern Vietnam to Laos Tour,Vietnam BikingTours, Vietnam cycling Tour

Old October 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
dungvictor

Default Cycling Through from Northern Vietnam to Laos Tour,Vietnam BikingTours, Vietnam cycling Tour

If you want to see scenic Vietnam, check out our new offer he
http://www.greentrail-indochina.com

Cycling Through from Northern Vietnam to Laos Tour
Itinerary in brief
This is an adventurous, moving on tour through the mountainous north-
west provinces of Vietnam and Laos. Luggage transfer and vehicle
support will be provided. The tour is suitable for fit, experienced
cycling enthusiasts. Vietnam's far North West is undoubtedly the best
place to cycle in the country as the roads see virtually no tourists
and avoid Vietnam's notorious highways. It wasn’t until the late
1990’s that travel restrictions were lifted. Starting in Hanoi, we’ll
pass through stunning landscapes, amazing karst rock formations,
stilted houses with thatched roofs, mountains nestled between
limestone outcrops and the highest concentration of hill-tribe people
in the country. We'll cross into a remote area of Laos via the newly
opened border crossing at Tay Trang. From the small market town of
Muang Khua, we’ll take a slow boat down the beautiful Nam Ou river
before cycling on to World Heritage Luang Prabang, with its beautiful
temples and colourful night market. Our route south to Vientiane, the
sleepy capital of Laos, is on virtually traffic-free roads. Great
cycling and some of the friendliest people in Asia.

Detail Itinerary

Day1: Hanoi - Arrival
Upon arrival at Hanoi Airport our guide who will accompany you to your
hotel will welcome you, Vietnam's capital, is a stylish and gracious
city that retains an unique old world charm and some Asia ‘s most
striking colonial architecture. The many lakes and parks make for
relaxing atmosphere. If time permits we embark on a cyclo for a short
excursion through the bustling old quarter streets named after the
specific goods once offered for sale at these places. O/N in Ha Noi.

Day2: Hanoi Leisure [b]
A day to explore Vietnam’s beautiful and tranquil capital, Hanoi.

Day 3: Overnight Train to Lau Cai
We catch the overnight train for Lau Cai. Despite what you might
imagine, It's actually plenty comfortable. You can buy snacks, get
things to drink, etc etc. There are 4 berths to a cabin. It is a LOT
better than a long plane ride in the economy section.

Day 4 and 5: Sapa-35K
We'll disembark from the train very early in the morning and either
bike or transfer to Sapa. It's not all that far but it is virtually
ALL up hill.
Sapa is the hilltribe capital of North Vietnam. There are a variety of
minority people in this area and they all come to Sapa to the market.

Day 6: Sapa to Tam Duong (New Lai Chau)
We climb up to Tram Ton Pass at 2,000 meters and then we have a huge
30k descent. We end the day in Lai Chau (formerly Tom Duong). On the
way, you will pass plenty of minority, hill tribe villages. You will
also pass Mt Fansipan, the highest peak in Vietnam (3100 meters). The
French referred to these mountains as the "Tonkinese Alps".

Day 7: Tom Duong (New Lai Chau) to Old Lai Chau
We have a couple pretty big climbs and then follow the picturesque Nam
Na river into Muang Say (aka "Old Lai Chau"). We stay at the hip Lan
Anh Resort where there no doubt will be an active badminton game in
the evening.

Day 8: Lai Chau to Dien Bien Phu
In 1954, the French Garrison at Dien Bien Phu was pinned down when the
Vietnamese were able to do something thought impossible....carry heavy
artillery into the mountains. When you ride in this area you will
wonder yourself how they ever did it. The siege at Dien Bien Phu ended
in a French surrender and marked the end of French Indochina. Little
known is the fact that the US had developed a plan to aid the French
by using tactical nuclear weapons at Dien Bien Phu.

Day 9: Dien Bien Phu to Muang Khua, Laos
We depart Dien Bien and cross into Northeast Laos at Tay Tran. This is
the least populated section of Laos. We continue on to Muang Khua on
the banks of the Nam Ou river.

Day 10: Muang Khua to Odomxai
This is a scenic lightly traveled road to bustling Odomxai. Odomxai
seems to be undergoing a rennaisance. Lots of construction and
activity in the town these days. They have an airport here also (with
less than daily service). We stay at the nicest place in town.

Day 11: Odomxai to Pak Mong
A tough climbing day at the start and then rolling hills with
magnificent scenery before a 29 k Descent to Pak Mong.

Day 12: Pak Mong to Luang Prabang
On to the historic and enchanting city of Luang Prabang. We follow the
banks of the Mekong before entering the city proper. It's also
possible, with advance planning, to bike the 20k in the opposite
direction to Nong Khiaw and then take a boat down the Nam Ou River.
This will take you right by the Pak Ou caves at the confluence of the
Nam Ou and Mekong Rivers.

Day 13: Rest day in Luang Prabang
Today is a rest day in Luang Prabang. Luang Prabang is encircled by
mountains and situated on the banks of the Mekong where it meets the
Nam Khan river. There is a lot to see in this World Heritage Town:
Temples, Monastaries, the Royal Palace and French Colonial
Architecture as well as the beautiful falls outside of town. It’s
worthwhile to get up and observe the monks collecting alms at 6 am.

Day 14: Luang Prabang to Kiu Kacham
This section has some of the most spectacular limestone, karst
mountains in all of Southeast Asia. We ovenight in Kiu Kacham. It is
long and challanging ride between Luang Prabang and Kasi. Kiu Kacham
is the half way point and a good place to break up the ride. Kiu
Kucham is at a high elevation and on a clear day the ride here is
spectacular. There will be big bucket of VERY hot water for your
shower at the our friendly guesthouse.

Day 15: Kiu Kacham to Kasi
We have a big 38 km descent passing dramatic views of craggy limestone
mountains. The scent of jasmine and lotus blossom drifts through the
clear air from the rich jungle flora. We end our day coming off the
mountains at Kasi.

Day 16: Kasi to Vang Vieng
60 km of gentle rolling hills to Vang Vieng. Vang Vieng is situated on
a bend of the Nam Song River and at sunset it is beautiful. Lots of
action in Vang Vieng. It’s a cross roads for travelers and, unlike
some other villages, you will run into some here. All the travelers
means that there are lots of restaurants and comfortable guesthouses.
Check out the market here. It’s very much worth seeing. We have the
option of jumping off the bikes and kayaking the last 8k.

Day 17 Vang Vieng to Thalat
After a relatively gentle 24 km we reach the fishing village of Tha
Heua where you can see all manner of salted fish being sold by the
road. We end the day in Thalat which is known for the exotic fare in
it's local market. We are not far from Na Nam where we usually eat
dinner in the floating restaurant.

Day 18: Thalat to Vientiane
Our last day of cycling starts with last two short but hard climbs,
before the road levels out for the 95 km all the way to Vientiane.
Here the land is agricultural passing paddy fields and more intensely
farmed areas. As we near the Lao capital of Vientiane the roads, which
till now have been relatively traffic free throughout our trip, start
to become busier. We stay at the Inter Hotel on the banks of the
Mekong.

Day 19: Rest day in Vientiane
We spend a final day exploring Vientiane, the Capital of Laos. Visit
That Luang, or the old Burmese Stupa or get up at sunrise to exercise
with the locals or do some final shopping in the huge market. It's a
great place to chill and recover

Included
* English Speaking tour leader (other languages upon requests)
* All accommodations base on twin-share at hotel, guesthouse and Home
stay.etc…
* Meals detailed in the itinerary (B = Breakfast , L = Lunches ,D =
Dinners)
* A/C transfers and transportation.
* Boat trip mention in itinerary
* Mountain bicycle 24 or 27Speed (LA bike or Trek bike. etc…)
* Sightseeing excursions as outlined in itinerary
* Train Ticket Hanoi - Lao Cai (Soft Sleeper air-condition)
* Pump, bike tools, spares tubes.
* Spare bike
* Cold water box, small fresh towel.
* Mineral water drinking.
* Seasonal fruits.
* Snacks

Excluded:
* International airfares
* Travel insurance and bike helmet (compulsory)
* Items of a personal nature
* Alcoholic beverages and soft drinks
* Mineral water beyond that supplied
* Optional excursions
* Additional transport required due to any emergency situation
* Personal expenses such as telephone and laundry bills
* Visa fees
* Departure taxes
* Tipping for guiding

Green Trail Tours Co.,Ltd
Add: Suite #1016 - B4 Building - Tran Dang Ninh Street - Cau Giay
district - Hanoi - Vietnam
Tel: + (844 ) 37 54 52 68 # 103
Fax: + (844) 37 54 52 77
Emergency call: (844) 98 906 9268
Ymsgr: greentrailtourism
Skype: greentrailtours
Local Time Standard time zone: GMT +07 hours
Monday to Saturday : 8:00 a.m until 6:00 p.m (except Sunday)
Website: http://www.greentrail-indochina.com
Email: /