St. Maarten

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_2_]

Default St. Maarten

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier in
St. Maarten

Old October 29th, 2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

"G&V" wrote in :

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier
in St. Maarten

Avis Hertz Budget, IIRC all are there.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old October 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Joseph Coulter :

"G&V" wrote in :

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier
in St. Maarten

Avis Hertz Budget, IIRC all are there.

Either Avis or Hertz is "a bit" away, but will pick you up.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Joseph Coulter wrote:

"G&V" wrote in :

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier
in St. Maarten

Avis Hertz Budget, IIRC all are there.

There's a whole line of kiosks right at the pier.

However, traffic is absolutely awful. We rented a car and because of
construction we couldn't figure out how to get to where we wanted to go.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SwissCruiser

On 29 oct, 05:14, Rosalie B. wrote:
Joseph Coulter wrote:
"G&V" wrote :

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier
in St. Maarten

Avis Hertz Budget, IIRC all are there.

There's a whole line of kiosks right at the pier.

However, traffic is absolutely awful. *We rented a car and because of
construction we couldn't figure out how to get to where we wanted to go.

Hi,
When we were in St Maarten last January 1st (HAL Noordam) I had tried
to book a few weeks in advance a car at the pier and everything was
sold out. Only option left was Thrifty at the Divi resort (10 mins
drive to other side of Philipsburg). The guy from that rental location
came to pick us up at the pier and took us to Divi where we got the
car. Same on the way back.
Driving in St Maarten was a real pleasure, maybe the fact that it was
January 1st was favorable for us. We drove to the French side
(Marigot) - 45 mins maximum, did some shopping there, had lunch at
waterfront café, then on to Orient Bay for two hours of beach
pleasure. Would do the same again if going back there.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

While your original question was indeed answered, as a side note, we thought
you might get a kick out of our day on the island itself. Just click on...
http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=356...=SYE/otsi=SALB
to get started.

A picture is always worth a thousand words, and who knows, you may see
something that sparks your interest. We explored both sides of the island
quite extensively. Incidentally, we were on Disney Cruise Line for a 7-day
Eastern Caribbean Cruise.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY (sm)
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old October 30th, 2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

"G&V" wrote in :

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to the cruise ship pier
in St. Maarten

Avis Hertz Budget, IIRC all are there.

Either Avis or Hertz is "a bit" away, but will pick you up.

Huh? Hertz is right outside the main gate of the pier, right
where the busses pick you up (as someone else said, the others
are there as well). I've rented from them twice. The first time
I had not made any advance plans so I got off the ship as soon
as they started letting people off (we docked early so it was
like 8am) and went over and rented a car. I probably should have
checked each of them for prices but I just decided to go with
Hertz since I always use them. When we were there earlier this
year, I just reserved with Hertz online in advance. Depending on
how many ships will be in port the day you're there, you may be
able to take your chances getting a car without reserving in
advance, to try and get a better price.

Their lot is a couple of blocks away, but they drive you over.

St. Maarten is very easy to drive since the main road just loops
the island. I mistakenly got onto an interior road last time but
still did not get lost, I ended up back on the loop road and
just turned right to head into Marigot.

In Marigot, there is a really wonderful cafe by the name of
Sarafina. They have amazing French pastries. If you are unlucky
enough to be there on a Sunday (when most of the French side is
closed), they are one of the few places that is open. The crafts
market there was pretty good too, much better than the previous
time we were there.

Bill