Celebrity Single Penalty Rate

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Celebrity Single Penalty Rate

I was checking the Travelocity web site for prices on Celebrity
cruises in April. I will be traveling solo.

On the April 16 cruise on the Millennium Celebrity offers a category Y
ocenview guaranteed rate of $900 per person double occupancy.
For a single, the lowest price for an oceanview cabin is a category 08
at $2261.

I am prepared to pay a single supplement but this is a single penalty.
What would happen if I booked two people at the $900 guaranteed rate
and one does not show up? I would not buy insurance so there would
not be a case of insurance fraud.

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:51:05 GMT, Odysseus wrote:

I am prepared to pay a single supplement but this is a single penalty.
What would happen if I booked two people at the $900 guaranteed rate
and one does not show up? I would not buy insurance so there would
not be a case of insurance fraud.

Hi,

If one passenger cancels, the cruise line can and usually does charge
whatever the single rate is at that time. That being said, I would
suggest you price out the current single rate with a travel agent that
specializes in cruises. The automated systems are often wrong.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ZeUHf.772610$_o.182746@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

I was checking the Travelocity web site for prices on Celebrity
cruises in April. I will be traveling solo.

On the April 16 cruise on the Millennium Celebrity offers a category Y
ocenview guaranteed rate of $900 per person double occupancy.
For a single, the lowest price for an oceanview cabin is a category 08
at $2261.

I am prepared to pay a single supplement but this is a single penalty.
What would happen if I booked two people at the $900 guaranteed rate
and one does not show up? I would not buy insurance so there would
not be a case of insurance fraud.

I did just that, not intentionally though. No penalty beyond paying for
the second person.
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ZeUHf.772610$_o.182746@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

On the April 16 cruise on the Millennium Celebrity offers a category Y
ocenview guaranteed rate of $900 per person double occupancy.
For a single, the lowest price for an oceanview cabin is a category 08
at $2261.

I am prepared to pay a single supplement but this is a single penalty.

The reason you are coming up with such a high penalty on Celebrity is
that it is a guarantee. I don't think they will even book it that way
for a single. You have to book an assigned cabin and then rate will be
less.

--
Charles
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Charles wrote:
In article ZeUHf.772610$_o.182746@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

On the April 16 cruise on the Millennium Celebrity offers a category Y
ocenview guaranteed rate of $900 per person double occupancy.
For a single, the lowest price for an oceanview cabin is a category 08
at $2261.

I am prepared to pay a single supplement but this is a single penalty.

The reason you are coming up with such a high penalty on Celebrity is
that it is a guarantee. I don't think they will even book it that way
for a single. You have to book an assigned cabin and then rate will be
less.

Is that specific to Celebrity? I've sailed solo on HAL twice and will
be sailing solo on Carnival Miracle in a few weeks. All three times I
booked guarantees to get the best single pricing. Why won't Celebrity
allow solo cruisers to book guarantees?

Lee

--
Charles

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

If one passenger cancels, the cruise line can and usually does charge
whatever the single rate is at that time. That being said, I would

In that case, the cruise line is double charging for the empty berth
in the cabin. First they impose the 100% cancellation penalty and then
they charge the single supplement.

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
LeeNY wrote:

Is that specific to Celebrity? I've sailed solo on HAL twice and will
be sailing solo on Carnival Miracle in a few weeks. All three times I
booked guarantees to get the best single pricing. Why won't Celebrity
allow solo cruisers to book guarantees?

It is specific to Celebrity. It might include Royal Caribbean. I just
started noticing it in the last year with Celebrity. If you see a good
guarantee rate it won't come out to double for a single but to some
very high price that you don't expect or want to pay. An assigned cabin
will come out double less the second persons taxes for a solo cruiser
but the assigned cabin rate will probably be higher per person than the
guarantee rate was per person that you saw advertised. So you can't
really check the rates on websites like Travelocity and get an accurate
figure if you are traveling solo. You need to call a travel agent. The
exception to this is the Happy Hour specials. Those will be the per
person rate plus the single supplement and sometimes those specials are
only a 150% supplement than a 200% supplement.

What I wrote above does contain a lot of conjecture on my part from
getting quotes in the last year. So if someone has had a different
experience and been able to get a guarantee cabin as a solo on
Celebrity and it was 200% or less supp. please post. Same for any
travel agent that can shoot the above down. Maybe it is something
specific to the sailings I have been pricing.

--
Charles
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Charles wrote:
What I wrote above does contain a lot of conjecture on my part from
getting quotes in the last year. So if someone has had a different
experience and been able to get a guarantee cabin as a solo on
Celebrity and it was 200% or less supp. please post.

I found a mere 25% single supplement online for assigned category/cabin
for Mercury's 11 day Alaska/Seattle repo this May.

Warren

Old February 15th, 2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The basic fare pays the mortgage on the ship and running costs. There's
no margin... All profit comes from upgrades, extras, gambling, alcohol,
concessions that don't happen when a second person doesn't show up.