So how close was I to dying?

Old December 28th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Seeker

Default So how close was I to dying?

I was flying with my family into Chicago from Las Vegas and our
landing just didn't feel right. First of all, it took a very long
time, and it seemed that the pilot just didn't feel like landing, or
just couldn't lose altitude, and kept circling the airport. It sounds
like the airport was just busy and we were just waiting for permition
to land, but something strange happened. Has anyone noticed that just
before landing, the pilot will set off two two-tone bells or tones to
inform the flight attendants that they need to strap themselves for
landing. But this time there were THREE two-tone bells (high to low
each), and I swear I saw the flight attendants walking swiftly to
their seats with concerned looks on their faces. I've never seen a
flight attendant with a concerned look on their face. Finally, just
as we were landing, in order to land the pilot - it seemed - actually
pointed the nose down to the ground in order to lose altitude. This
was JUST BEFORE we hit landed on the runway. Of course we landed just
fine, but I swear I got a vibe from the flight attendant waving us off
the plane that we almost experienced something serious.

So has anyone had a similar experience like this? I'll admit I'm
normally a little nervous about flying - although I know there is no
reason for it - and I'd like to assuage some of the fears that this
experience has instilled in me. I would like to know the truth - if
it could have been a crash, at least I know just how good the pilots
are, and if it was all in my head, then I know I just need to relax.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Miguel Cruz

Seeker wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like they were in a holding pattern and then suddenly were
given an unexpected landing opportunity and therefore the pilot had to do it
in a hurry. He had to get the flight attendants seated urgently and on short
notice, which may have been annoying to them if they were in the middle of
doing other things.

"Almost got a vibe" isn't such a serious indicator of mortal peril. This
sort of thing happens all the time.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Mike Cordelli

I would guess they were going round and round waiting for space, and when it
came up they didn't have time to be nice, just strap in and land.

om...

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Petter

I believe the number of bells indicating final depends on the carrier,
sometime two, sometimes three. Either that or I have been in mortal peril
many times.

On 12/28/03 1:59 PM, in article
, "Seeker"

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:48 AM
studio

I don't know about the bell-tones you heard, that could very well
signafy something to the flight attendants.
It's not always up to the pilot (especially at major airports) when
to land their plane. Hence the circling.
As far as pointing the planes nose down.
Not unusal if the plane has too hold a pattern at too high an altitude.
I doubt you were close to death.

Old December 29th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Steve

"Seeker" wrote in message
om...
I was flying with my family into Chicago from Las Vegas and our
landing just didn't feel right. First of all, it took a very long

I flew into and out Chicago O'Hare yesterday and ATC was quite busy (12/27)

We were slowed down several times, did a bit of holding, and finally came in
with a somewhat rough landing, which I believe was the result of cross
winds. The departure on my flight out of ORD was a bit turbulant for the
first minute or so -- the plane rocked back and forth as if we were
encountering some good crosswinds (we encountered a bit of rocking during
the landing, just prior to touchdown as well).. As soon as we reached about
3,000 ft, everything was smooth.

In your case, it sounds to me like you were circling, the pilot got an
unexpected opening (clearance to land) and there wasn't much time prior to
touchdown, thus the 3 chimes to warn the FA's. With the turbulance I
experienced coming in and out of ORD yesterday, that may of played a role as
well.

Best,

Steve

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:50 AM
The Grammer Genious

Seeker wrote:

... I've never seen a
flight attendant with a concerned look on their face. ...

You haven't eh?

My brother watched a flight attendant sobbing and wailing "We're
gonna die! We're gonna die" as other flight attendants strapped
her into a seat and tried to make her shut up. (There was a fire
in the cargo spaces, and some smoke was coming into the passenger
area. They landed safely and nobody was hurt.)

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Brian

The Grammer Genious wrote:

My brother watched a flight attendant sobbing and wailing "We're
gonna die! We're gonna die" as other flight attendants strapped
her into a seat and tried to make her shut up. (There was a fire
in the cargo spaces, and some smoke was coming into the passenger
area. They landed safely and nobody was hurt.)

Must have been comforting to the passengers. Wonder what happened to
her.