Kauai Helicoptor tours - Safari Air vs Jack Harter

Old March 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM
John & Beverly

Default Kauai Helicoptor tours - Safari Air vs Jack Harter

The title pretty much says it all. We want to take a helo tour while on
Kauai. Have narrowed our choices to 1 hour on either Jack Harter or Safari
Air. Does anyone have experience with either? Opinions and suggestions
welcome.

We are sailing on the Pride of Aloha on May 22nd and are trying to finalize
our shore excursions. Would like to hear from anyone recently back from the
POA.

Old March 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
BruceB

"John & Beverly" wrote in message

The title pretty much says it all. We want to take a helo tour while on
Kauai. Have narrowed our choices to 1 hour on either Jack Harter or Safari
Air. Does anyone have experience with either? Opinions and suggestions
welcome.

We are sailing on the Pride of Aloha on May 22nd and are trying to
finalize our shore excursions. Would like to hear from anyone recently
back from the POA.

Check to see who has the best safety record. These things crash every now
and then in Kauai. Terrible way to end your holiday. Personally--as
beautiful as Kauai would be from a helicopter--I'd never take one of those
flights..

Old March 28th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Scott W

BruceB wrote:
back from the POA.

Check to see who has the best safety record. These things crash

every now
and then in Kauai. Terrible way to end your holiday.

Personally--as
beautiful as Kauai would be from a helicopter--I'd never take one of

those
flights..

In fact they seem to crash all the time, but then they do a lot of
flights in a day so manybe it is not that bad. There was one that
crashed not all that long ago where it took them several days to get
the bodies off the side of the mountain.

Still one day I am going to take a fight myself, you aren't going to
live forever regardless of whether you take a helicopter ride or not.

Scott

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Cathy Kearns

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

BruceB wrote:
back from the POA.

Check to see who has the best safety record. These things crash

every now
and then in Kauai. Terrible way to end your holiday.

Personally--as
beautiful as Kauai would be from a helicopter--I'd never take one of

those
flights..

In fact they seem to crash all the time, but then they do a lot of
flights in a day so manybe it is not that bad. There was one that
crashed not all that long ago where it took them several days to get
the bodies off the side of the mountain.

I wouldn't really characterize it as "all the time". If we are talking just
tour helicopters*...One crashed on the big island in July 2000 (Blue Hawaii
Tours ), one on the big island in June 2003 (Tropical Helicoptors), one in
July 2003 on Kauai (Jack Harter), and one in Kauai in September 2004 (Bali
Hai Helicoptors). So we are talking 4 crashes in a bit over 5 years. Note,
that it didn't used to be so safe. Back in 1995 or so they put in
regulations to keep helicoptors from flying so close to waterfalls and
cliffs. Back in 94 there were 11 crashes in 6 months. They really cleaned
up the Hawaiian aviation regulations since then, so it is much safer.

(*Just to be complete, an air ambulance helicopter also crashed in Oahu in
2004)

Old March 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM
BruceB

[...]

Stil, if commercial airlines crashed at that rate, no sane person would fly.
Kauai is full of fabulous scenery you can see from the ground.
For instance, just drive up to Kokee park and look at the Kalalau (sp?)
Lookout..

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Laura Billmers

Took Safari Air on our own. We were staying on the island and booked
the flight through our hotel. It was a fabulous and fascinating
experience. We absolutelely loved it. You see scenery that there is no
other way to see.