Hotel recommendation in San Diego

Old April 8th, 2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Hotel recommendation in San Diego

Can anyone please recommend a good reasonably priced hotel in San
Diego. We'll be staying there in late september for a few days before
flying home to Australia. I've tried looking at tripadvisor but the
choice is so varied it is confusing.
Thanks in advance
Glenn

Old April 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

We won't have a car and will be relying on public transport, so being
close to that would help. We will only will be there two and two half
days and probably will only get time to see the zoo and seaworld and
anything else close by to where we stay. We know nothing really about
San Diego so any advice would be of use.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Old April 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Aussie Glenn" wrote in message
oups.com...
We won't have a car and will be relying on public transport, so being
close to that would help. We will only will be there two and two half
days and probably will only get time to see the zoo and seaworld and
anything else close by to where we stay. We know nothing really about
San Diego so any advice would be of use.

As a San Diegan, I can tell you that public transportation is pretty poor
here. That being the case, and with no car for your visit, you will want to
get lodgings close to things you want to see.

I would recommend against getting anything in "Hotel Circle" (which is a
part of Mission Valley, entirely to be avoided unless you have a car).
Downtown and Balboa Park are where I would focus my attentions to.

If you want to get to Sea World from Downtown, there are various ways to get
the
MTS bus
Cab
Old Town Trolley Tour (not the same thing as the San Diego Trolley).

From Orbitz:
Downtown hotels:
http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewHotelS...&z=ca9f &r=a5
Mission Bay/Sea World hotels:
http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewHotelS...&z=ca9f &r=a5

San Diego hotels in these areas are all good from my experience, and I have
been to quite a few. Obviously, the more you spend, the more you get.

For Downtown, I would recommend:
Marriot San Diego Hotel and Marina
+on the waterfront (no beach) with a great view
+nice rooms, most with balconies
+close to the Gaslamp Quarter (restaurants, clubs, shops, etc.)
+use close-by SD Trolley to get to the Zoo and adjacent Balboa Park
(museums, restaurants, great walks, 'culture').
+adjacent to Seaport Village, a touristy outdoor mall--great place to get
souvenirs
The Manchester Grand Hyatt is the Marriot's neighbor
+all the above
+only some rooms have balconies
+restaurant "Top of the Hyatt" on 26th floor. Good wine with cheese
platter, great view.

For Mission Bay & Sea World, I would recommend:
Paradise Point
+Bungalows that are like little apartments (not hotel)
+convenient to beach and Sea World.
Bahia
+convenient to beach and Sea World.
+great food

Of course, these will be a bit expensive in September. The chain hotels in
these areas will deliver adequate lodgings for a reasonable price. By
adequate, I mean safe, clean, plain rooms with AC, television, video and
games on demand (in most cases) and no restaurant or activities.

Other stuff--

San Diego is usually quite warm in September. Bring shorts, wear them.
Expect 80F-100F.
Price reference:
loaf of bread - 1.50
gallon of milk - 3.00
gallon of gas - 2.80
ticket to Sea World - 55.00 (last I checked, anyways)
taxi - 1.90 first 1/9 mile
16oz of cheap beer - 3.00
16" pizza - 16.00
fast food meal - 6.00
You can get domestic supplies at grocery stores (Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons)
very cheaply

NFL Chargers are playing in September at Qualcomm stadium, which you can
reach via the SD Trolley.

Pacific Beach is a good place to go bar hopping.
Ocean Beach and La Jolla Shore are good places to go beach walking.
Mission Beach is a good place to "go to the beach" and has a boardwalk mall
with a roller coaster.

Eat Mexican food (and try the margaritas). It is good here, not like Taco
Bell or its clones you will find everyplace outside of Southern California
(and southern Utah, I am told??).

Don't go to Tijuana as a day trip. Many reasons, all valid.

steveo (San Diego native)