Off to Sicily for a long weekend...

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Default Off to Sicily for a long weekend...

poldy wrote:

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

It would seem strange to me if we were trying to see the whole island,
which we're not. Indeed, we're not even going to the main sights on the
island.

Which towns or sights are you trying to see?

Staying in Trapani, visting Segesta, Selinunte and probably the Egadi
islands.

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

Which towns or sights are you trying to see?

Staying in Trapani, visting Segesta, Selinunte and probably the Egadi
islands.

Erice is nice, if it's a clear day.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:26:33 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

poldy wrote:
In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

Which towns or sights are you trying to see?

Staying in Trapani, visting Segesta, Selinunte and probably the Egadi
islands.

Erice is nice, if it's a clear day.

We were supposed to visit it when I was there, but it was invisible due to
rain up there.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...ed-by-recent-b
urst-in-mount-etna-activity-a-901492.html

I blame David Horne.

Erice is on the opposite coast from Etna.
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2013 08:05:17 -0700, poldy wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:26:33 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

poldy wrote:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...zzled-by-recen
t-b
urst-in-mount-etna-activity-a-901492.html

I blame David Horne.

Erice is on the opposite coast from Etna.

and?

Can Etna be seen from there? I guess if it has a big eruption, the ash
will reach all over but short of that ...
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

poldy wrote:

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

Which towns or sights are you trying to see?

Staying in Trapani, visting Segesta, Selinunte and probably the Egadi
islands.

Erice is nice, if it's a clear day.

That was on the list already, just forgot as it was 'close' by.

Well, pretty fabulous long weekend, and clear sunny skies every day.
Arrived in town by 3pm on Friday and walked around Trapani, small but
charming in its own way (not touristy), lots of narrow streets- rented a
great apartment with large terrace overlooking rooftops and up to Erice.
Saturday, went to Segesta, wonderful Greek temple and ampitheatre with
views over to the sea. Afternoon, went to the beach for a swim, cold but
refreshing! Sunday, ferry to Favignana, cycled all over the island
(bikes only 5 euro a day). Monday, most of day up in Erice, wonderful
lunch with spectacular views- bus to the airport at 6.30.

Great trip- excellent food (had pasta alla Trapani, Favignana and Erice)
at reasonable prices, locals very laid back. Will definitely visit again
and explore a bit further.

Old May 28th, 2013, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

poldy wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2013 13:26:33 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

poldy wrote:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...rts-puzzled-by
-recen t-b urst-in-mount-etna-activity-a-901492.html

I blame David Horne.

Ha!

Erice is on the opposite coast from Etna.

and?

Can Etna be seen from there? I guess if it has a big eruption, the ash
will reach all over but short of that ...

According to google you can- it was pretty clear when we were there and
I couldn't make it out (I knew where to look)- we could see Pantelleria
though (and of course, beautifully clear view of the Egadi islands).

Old May 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

[...]

Seliunte is pretty nice too, with the Mediterranean backdrop for the
temple which was reconstructed. Kind of takes away the wonder that it's
not ruins dating back thousands of years but a reconstruction.

Of course Agrigento is well-known.

Siracusa and Noto are justly popular. Really liked Ragusa too.
Apparently those towns all had had relatively recent restorations when I
went in 2011 so the duomos were immaculate.

I skipped the Aeolian Islands. Some say that's the real Sicily ...
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

poldy wrote:

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

[...]

The tempe at Segesta was perhaps one of the most exquisite Greek ruins
I've seen... even if it was never finished!

Kind of takes away the wonder that it's
not ruins dating back thousands of years but a reconstruction.

Of course Agrigento is well-known.

Siracusa and Noto are justly popular. Really liked Ragusa too.
Apparently those towns all had had relatively recent restorations when I
went in 2011 so the duomos were immaculate.

I skipped the Aeolian Islands. Some say that's the real Sicily ...

Well, even in that small north-western tip of the Island seemed like
there was plenty to do! Definitely be back- Ryanair were onto something
with those flights from Manchester- seemed over the whole weekend we
were bumping into people from the flight at various sites!

These snaps give some idea, hopefully.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37600369@N03/sets/72157633787705807/

Old May 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 29 May 2013, David Horne wrote:

The tempe at Segesta was perhaps one of the most exquisite Greek ruins

Not really Greek, rather peculiar as such. The local population were the
Elimi (somebody says so called because they were later elimi...nated
:-))