Int'l driving permit

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen[_2_]

Default Int'l driving permit

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:48:52 +0200, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Am Sat, 06 Jul 2013 16:50:37 +0200 schrieb Tom P:

On 07/06/2013 05:59 AM, Király wrote:
I will be driving my father-in-law's Hungarian-registerd car around
Hungary and Croatia soon. I have a British Columbia (Canada) driver's
license.

I know that IDPs are "accpeted" in those countries but is the IDP
really needed anymore? If the police stop me will they hassle me if I
don't have one?

An IDP (or IDL) is simply a translation of the driver's license.
Strictly speaking it has no legal value, only your original driver's
license counts.

Right, an with a Canadian licence that doesn't make much sense, as the
Canadian licence is already in English, so no need for translation (the IDP
translates into english, french an Russian I think). I would assume that a
Hungarian oder Croatian policeman knows enough english to figure out the
original licence without an IDP.

It's more useful when your original licence is in some exotic language that
is not understood in many countries.

I believe the Finns will accept any valid license so long as it is in
Roman characters...

Old July 9th, 2013, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for my
regular DL!

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old July 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for my
regular DL!

that's because the IDL is worthless without it.

It isn't a replacement license, it's a supplement

tim

Old July 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 20:00:33 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Irwell" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 13:25:02 +0000 (UTC), Király wrote:

tim..... wrote:
(the IDP translates into english, french an Russian)
Spanish, Italian, Arabic, German, one of the Chinese scripts and
Japanese (I
think)

Also Swedish and Portuguese.

I know what it is and what it does. I know it's "accepted" in HU and HR.
I just wonder if it's needed in my case. I think I'll get one anyway.

Just make your own, east to do with ONline Translators like Google.

if it's not obviously "official" why would the other party accept it?

It could say any old rubbish, couldn't it

Yes, it could. But what is 'offcial', the triple AAA is just an
Automobile Association, not a Governement Agency.
Just curmudgeon an official stamp and place it on the IDL,
issued by the Tim IDL Issuing Office. TIIO.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for my
regular DL!

that's because the IDL is worthless without it.

It isn't a replacement license, it's a supplement

tim

My point was that the IDL was unnecessary.

I haven't bothered, since.

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for my
regular DL!

that's because the IDL is worthless without it.

It isn't a replacement license, it's a supplement

tim

My point was that the IDL was unnecessary.

I haven't bothered, since.

Just because no-one bothered with it on one (or more) occasion(s) doesn't
mean that the next person wont

tim

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for my
regular DL!

that's because the IDL is worthless without it.

It isn't a replacement license, it's a supplement

tim

My point was that the IDL was unnecessary.

I haven't bothered, since.

Just because no-one bothered with it on one (or more) occasion(s)
doesn't mean that the next person wont

tim

Then by all mean whoever is worried about being asked for one should do
as I did: got through the hassle of getting it, and never bring it on a
second trip.

A more helpful reply would be citing where you know it will be required.

Old July 11th, 2013, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

[...]

There's no answer to that question.

It's required when the official that you are dealing with decides to do
things completely by the book.

How can I (or anyone) possible predict that?

I'm not talking the situation where people get one without first checking
that a particular country requires it for their DL type. I'm talking about
the anecdotal evidence given here, that even when a country does officially
require one, no-one ever checks. You simply cannot rely on that advice, it
may be you who gets stopped by the jobsworth!

tim

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:17:42 -0500, Dan Stephenson
wrote:

Then by all mean whoever is worried about being asked for one should do
as I did: got through the hassle of getting it, and never bring it on a
second trip.

A more helpful reply would be citing where you know it will be required.

You'll certainly need one in India.

But the only place foreign tourists rent vehicles is Goa where rented
motorcycles are common. Everywhere else the traffic is lethal and
rented cars usually come with a driver...
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

On 11/07/2013 5:18 AM, tim..... wrote:

My point was that the IDL was unnecessary.

I haven't bothered, since.

Just because no-one bothered with it on one (or more) occasion(s)
doesn't mean that the next person wont

tim

Then by all mean whoever is worried about being asked for one should
do as I did: got through the hassle of getting it, and never bring it
on a second trip.

A more helpful reply would be citing where you know it will be required.

There's no answer to that question.

It's required when the official that you are dealing with decides to do
things completely by the book.

That about sums it up. An IDL is meaningless on its own. It serves only
as a translation of your home jurisdiction diver license. And FWIW I
worked in commercial vehicle enforcement and I had no training on IDLs.
They were not mentioned in our policy and procedures manual. It's
usually a safe bet that anyone driving a car and has a license to drive
has the proper license for a car. IDLs serve to translate the
information that is displayed on the driver license and explains the
class indicated.

How can I (or anyone) possible predict that?

I'm not talking the situation where people get one without first
checking that a particular country requires it for their DL type. I'm
talking about the anecdotal evidence given here, that even when a
country does officially require one, no-one ever checks. You simply
cannot rely on that advice, it may be you who gets stopped by the
jobsworth!

My anecdotal input is that I got one once for a trip to Europe. When I
picked up the rental car they wanted to see my driver license but never
bothered with my IDL. The next time I rented a car over there I didn't
bother to get one (they are only valid for one year here). No one asked
for it. In fact, we had booked the rental through a travel agent here
and he said nothing about needing one.

Since vehicle owners can be held liable for some offences committed by a
person driving their vehicle, and they do check your driver license, I
am assuming that if an IDL were actually required, they would ask.

Personally, if I were renting a car in western Europe again, I would
not bother getting the IDL.