Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Casey

Default Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?

Casey

Old July 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kristian

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:31:27 -0600, "Casey"
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?

I think an expert in Spain somebody posted that Madrid would be the
only hub left in Europe by 2010. Schiphol Heathrow Paris and Frankfurt
are soon to close.

Madrid is a virtual black hole. By 2020 it might be the only airport
left in Europe.
--
Kristian
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grant kinsley

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:29:33 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

"Martin" skrev i meddelandet
.. .
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:55:47 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

"Casey" skrev i meddelandet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?
Casey
The Olympics are usually held in August and Madrid is terrible hot at that
time.

They aren't usually held in August, sometimes they have been

Usually is usually and sometimes is sometimes.
I said usually.

1. Athens, Greece
April 6-15, 1896

-----------
Wasn't borned that time but as you seem to be an old fart so...

2. Paris, France
May 20-October 28, 1900

----------------
Seem to be August included..

3. St. Louis, Missouri, USA
July 1-November 23, 1904

----------------
Seem to be August included

4. London, England
April 27-October 31, 1908

-----------
Seem to be August included

5. Stockholm, Sweden
May 5-July 22, 1912

---------------------------
Unsual but we have pleasant weather in August as well.

6. Berlin, Germany
CANCELLED

--------------------
Yes and..... ????

7. Antwerp, Belgium
April 20-September 12, 1920

-------------------------
Seem to be August included

8. Paris, France
May 4-July 27, 1924

----------------------------
Unusual.

9. Amsterdam, Netherlands
May 17-August 12, 1928

----------------------------
August was it... !!!

10. Los Angeles, California, USA
July 30-August 14, 1932

-----------------------
And August again...!!!

11. Berlin, Germany
August 1-16, 1936

-----------------------------
And August.

12. Tokyo, Japan
CANCELLED

----------------------
Yes and .... How do you konow about the intensions for Tokyo 1940

13. London, England
CANCELLED

------------------
Yes and.... ???

14. London, England
July 29-August 14, 1948
15. Helsinki, Finland
July 19-August 3, 1952

--------------
August

16. Melbourne, Australia
November 22-December 8, 1956

------------------------
Southern Hemisphere is special. It's opposite the Northern if you didn't
know.

17. Rome, Italy
August 25-September 11, 1960
18. Tokyo, Japan
October 10-24, 1964
19. Mexico City, Mexico
October 12-27, 1968
20. Munich, Germany
August 26-September 10, 1972
21. Montreal, Canada
July 17-August 1, 1976
22. Moscow, Soviet Union
July 19-August 3, 1980
23. Los Angeles, California, USA
July 28-August 12, 1984
24. Seoul, Republic of Korea
September 17-October 2, 1988
25. Barcelona, Spain
July 25-August 9, 1992
26. Atlanta, Georgia, USA
July 19-August 9, 1996
27. Sydney, Australia
September 15-October 1, 2000

---------------------
Southern hemisphere again.

28. Athens, Greece
August 13-29, 2004

--------------
Seem to be 15 in August in the Northern hemisphere and 5 not including
August
What's mostly and what's usual ?

The point seems to be that there doesn't seem to be a must be in
August rule. Mexico, Korea and Japan all have had recent Olympics
after the summer heat.

Remember that the host country helps determine the actual 2 week
period between July and October.

But as far as hot goes, I'm sure the Atlanta and Greece Olympics were
hot on the dates they were held. So that wouldn't stop an August
Madrid Olympics. I suspect the chosen dates have much more to do with
when the host city calculates it's highest revenues would be gained.

GK

Old July 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Default martin pollution

Spam again from the master in second
can't you go back where you were, twas nice without your stuff

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:29:33 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Casey" skrev i meddelandet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?
Casey
The Olympics are usually held in August and Madrid is terrible hot at
that
time.

They aren't usually held in August, sometimes they have been

Usually is usually and sometimes is sometimes.
I said usually.

Did anybody say you hadn't said usually?

1. Athens, Greece
April 6-15, 1896

-----------
Wasn't borned that time but as you seem to be an old fart so...

better than being an arrogant ignorant young tosser.

2. Paris, France
May 20-October 28, 1900

----------------
Seem to be August included..

LOL how do you know they didn't take August off?

3. St. Louis, Missouri, USA
July 1-November 23, 1904

----------------
Seem to be August included

4. London, England
April 27-October 31, 1908

-----------
Seem to be August included

5. Stockholm, Sweden
May 5-July 22, 1912

---------------------------
Unsual but we have pleasant weather in August as well.

6. Berlin, Germany
CANCELLED

--------------------
Yes and..... ????

what part of the word CANCELLED are you struggling to understand?

7. Antwerp, Belgium
April 20-September 12, 1920

-------------------------
Seem to be August included

Nah the Belgians take most of August for holidays.

8. Paris, France
May 4-July 27, 1924

----------------------------
Unusual.

9. Amsterdam, Netherlands
May 17-August 12, 1928

----------------------------
August was it... !!!

Looks like mainly May June and July to me.

10. Los Angeles, California, USA
July 30-August 14, 1932

-----------------------
And August again...!!!

11. Berlin, Germany
August 1-16, 1936

-----------------------------
And August.

12. Tokyo, Japan
CANCELLED

----------------------
Yes and .... How do you konow about the intensions for Tokyo 1940

I don't konow, it's a list of factual info not my opinion.

13. London, England
CANCELLED

------------------
Yes and.... ???

It's a list not my opinion.

14. London, England
July 29-August 14, 1948
15. Helsinki, Finland
July 19-August 3, 1952

--------------
August

Mainly July

16. Melbourne, Australia
November 22-December 8, 1956

------------------------
Southern Hemisphere is special. It's opposite the Northern if you
didn't
know.

Is it normal in your country for people not to know simple facts or is
it something to do with your alcohol problem?

The hemisphere is irrelevant to the date chosen in Australia see
Sydney 2000

17. Rome, Italy
August 25-September 11, 1960

Mainly September

18. Tokyo, Japan
October 10-24, 1964

Not August

19. Mexico City, Mexico
October 12-27, 1968

Not August

20. Munich, Germany
August 26-September 10, 1972

Mainly September

21. Montreal, Canada
July 17-August 1, 1976

Mainly July

22. Moscow, Soviet Union
July 19-August 3, 1980

Mainly July

23. Los Angeles, California, USA
July 28-August 12, 1984
24. Seoul, Republic of Korea
September 17-October 2, 1988

NOT August

25. Barcelona, Spain
July 25-August 9, 1992

26. Atlanta, Georgia, USA
July 19-August 9, 1996
27. Sydney, Australia
September 15-October 1, 2000

---------------------
Southern hemisphere again.

The hemisphere is irrelevant.

28. Athens, Greece

Similar August temperatures to Madrid. You lose.

August 13-29, 2004

--------------
Seem to be 15 in August in the Northern hemisphere and 5 not including
August

Seems you are confused and trying to fudge.

What's mostly and what's usual ?

Who said mostly?

Try differentiating between games held wholly in August and partially
in August. Especially in the years where the games lasted three or
four months.

I take it that you are not **** hot on statistics?

How many games were held totally in August?

Madrid won't be rejected because
a) The games don't have to held in July or August.
b) The temperature in Madrid is no more extreme than the temperature
in Athens in August.
--

Martin

Old July 9th, 2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Citizen Ted

wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?

I feel sorry for the average Madridian. Hosting the Olympics is a huge
drain on the municipal economy, as well as a multi-year upheaval for
the residents. In many cases those big, fancy sports complexes become
eyesores and tax drains.

IMHO, the summer Olympics should be held at Athens in perpetuity. They
invented the Games and it is the Athenians to whom we tip our hats
when we consider the spirit of the Games. I have grown weary of the
silly power trips and the pathetic groveling that cities exhibit when
it comes to begging for a spot as host city. It's childish and stupid.

I say we all pitch in and create in Athens the most impressive and
efficient Olympic facilities humanity has ever known. We'll make
Athens a key destination every four years. The facilities will become
a boon for the city rather than a drain. And the Greek economy will
get a much-needed regular shot in the arm. I've never been to Greece,
but I'm sure it's lovely. I'd be happy to attend the games there.

As for the rest of us? We can still do the year-long "passing of the
torch" around the world. We can make a big deal out of it and have
certain cities host the torch for a day or two so tourists can gape at
it.

Return the Olympic games to Olympus! Run the marathon from Marathon to
Athens! Have the athletes perform nekkid! Give the winners a lousy
sprig of laurel, then immortalize them in song and statuary! THAT'S
the Olympics, bitches! Not a bunch of self-absorbed municipal
politicians brokering deals with their brother-in-law's construction
company. **** the politics! Let's play Games!

- TR

Old July 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:45:32 -0700, Citizen Ted
wrote:

IMHO, the summer Olympics should be held at Athens in perpetuity. They
invented the Games and it is the Athenians to whom we tip our hats
when we consider the spirit of the Games.

Erm? No it's not The games are clearly a function of Dr Brookes and
Baron de Coubertain, neither are greek gentleman.

Generally you seem to be confusing two seperate activities, one is the
games, the other is the excuse that can be used to convince people in
democracies to strike through the NIMBYism so rennovation can proceed.
Are the olympics really worse than 15 years of delays whilst the
planning process and the courts have their say?

Jim.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Citizen Ted

wrote:

IMHO, the summer Olympics should be held at Athens in perpetuity. They
invented the Games and it is the Athenians to whom we tip our hats
when we consider the spirit of the Games.

Erm? No it's not The games are clearly a function of Dr Brookes and
Baron de Coubertain, neither are greek gentleman.

Niggling pedantic balderdash.

Coubertin (not Coubertain) founded the IOC, and when he first proposed
reviving the Games, he did so with an explicit historical nod to the
original Greek games. As such, he insisted that the first games be
held in Athens. William Penny Brookes launched a series of
Olympic-style games, and he admitted his inspiration was the original
Greek games. Thus, it is to the Greeks that Coubertin, Brookes and the
rest of us "tip our hats when we consider the spirit of the Games" -
your naysaying notwithstanding. Bitch.

Generally you seem to be confusing two seperate activities, one is the
games, the other is the excuse that can be used to convince people in
democracies to strike through the NIMBYism so rennovation can proceed.
Are the olympics really worse than 15 years of delays whilst the
planning process and the courts have their say?

I'm not confusing anything, and your statement doesn't make any sense
in reference to my post. There is ample evidence of graft, bribery and
cronyism when it comes to hosting the Games. It's ugly and it's
unnecessary. Is it really NIMBYism when a community decides that its
taxes and sacrifices are better spent on meaningful infrastructure,
rather than pork barrel construction projects with limited long-term
viability? Your refence to 15 years of delays eludes me - I don't know
what you're talking about. But it seems clear to me that if the world
agreed to keep the summer games in Athens, it would merely require a
bit of refurbishing of the current Athenian infrastructure and the
addition of new technologies as they develop. This could be done in a
year or two. With financing from all countries interested in playing
the games, Greece would be freed of the cost burden while enjoying the
economic benefits.

I find the current climate of bribery and cronyism inre bidding to
host the Games to be vile and reprehensible. But I guess your post
demonstrates that there are people who don't care about that and are
more interested in the "prestige" of hosting the Games. IMHO, the
"prestige" should be garnered in WINNING MEDALS, not winning bids to
host.

Please note that I'm still leaving the door open to bids for hosting
the Winter Olympics. Throwing this bone to self-important provincial
assholes should be enough of a compromise for them to consider giving
Athens host duties of the Summer Games in perpetuity.

- TR

Old July 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:57:03 -0700, Citizen Ted
wrote:
Thus, it is to the Greeks that Coubertin, Brookes and the
rest of us "tip our hats when we consider the spirit of the Games" -
your naysaying notwithstanding. Bitch.

I certainly do not, I don't see much correlation with the rise of
sport in 19th Century England and Europe, with previous events a few
thousand years before.

I'm not confusing anything, and your statement doesn't make any sense
in reference to my post. There is ample evidence of graft, bribery and
cronyism when it comes to hosting the Games.

So? There's ample evidence of all of those things in all walks of
life, and there would be no less if it was held in Athens every 4
years.

Is it really NIMBYism when a community decides that its
taxes and sacrifices are better spent on meaningful infrastructure,
rather than pork barrel construction projects with limited long-term
viability?

Except they don't of course, the community decides that it should host
an olympics, of course it's only yourself who's calling it "pork
barrel construction projects"...

Your refence to 15 years of delays eludes me - I don't know
what you're talking about.

It's the typical delay in getting funding and planning permission for
the sort of travel infrastructure projects in London, which has now
been removed, because there's a cause people get behind.

With financing from all countries interested in playing
the games, Greece would be freed of the cost burden while enjoying the
economic benefits.

Why would any country want to subsidise a wealthy european nation like
that?

But I guess your post
demonstrates that there are people who don't care about that and are
more interested in the "prestige" of hosting the Games. IMHO, the
"prestige" should be garnered in WINNING MEDALS, not winning bids to
host.

Not at all, I just don't see how gifting some nation the benefits of
hosting in no way a solution, neither something which is good, you're
focusing on a tiny negative in the whole process of running an olympic
games. I don't find medals all that interesting, I'm massively
impressed by those that do win, the only one I've met sacrificed a lot
to do it.

Please note that I'm still leaving the door open to bids for hosting
the Winter Olympics.

Which is of course silly, as only a small minority of the worlds
country could hold a winter olympics, snowy mountains are kind of
important.

Jim.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Casey writes:

I think Madrid would make a great host city.

I think anywhere far away from Paris would make a great host city.

Old July 9th, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Lennart Petersen writes:

The Olympics are usually held in August and Madrid is terrible hot at that
time.

That is becoming true for most of Europe, not just Madrid. At least
Madrid presumably already has air conditioning.