Chautauqua Institute

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

Default Chautauqua Institute

On 2007-05-24 03:24:01 -0400, Patty Winter ) said:

In article k.net,
Brian K wrote:

What is the Chautauqua Institute? Is it one of those fancy drug rehabs
for rich folk? Just wondering...

Heavens, no! Perhaps you've already taken a moment to look it up
yourself, but in case not, It's a 100-year-plus-old center for
the education of body and mind. Around the turn of the century
(the previous one), chautauquas were a *huge* pheonomenon
across the country, with thousands and thousands of people
attending lectures, concerts, etc. Read up on it sometime;
it's interesting. Besides the original center in NY, there's
also still a chautauqua organization in Boulder, Colorado.

Known for classical music and other fine arts, accompanied by the
Christian religion in LARGE doses.

Not the right wing "Christian" religion of the U.S. media. The lectures
tend to be thoughtful and interesting and not strictly religious. They also
have concerts of all types, including some rock/pop acts.

I'm not at all religious, and in any event am not Christian, but I would not
be at all scared off by their religious leanings.

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 25 May 2007 01:55:29 GMT, "Bill in Schenectady"

On 2007-05-24 03:24:01 -0400, Patty Winter ) said:

In article k.net,
Brian K wrote:

[...]

In the days before movies and radio and television, Chautauqua
was a very big deal. People traveled there for the lectures and
modest entertainment, living in hotels or even camping in tents.
The lectures might have a relgious bent or they might not. Later
the Chautauqua circuit was formed with lecturers and story
tellers appearing on a circuit of theaters and auditoriums and
was quite lucrative for the individuals appearing. As to
religion, Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain was one of the personalities
who did the Chautauqua circuit and I strongly suspect there was
little religious content to his appearances.

Old May 25th, 2007, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Patty wrote:

I know that they offer religious studies, but does it really permeate

their other offerings?

Like the YMCA and many other such organizations, Chautauqua was founded
as a Christian organization.

http://www.ciweb.org/history.html

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article ,
Nile wrote:
Patty wrote:

I know that they offer religious studies, but does it really permeate

their other offerings?

Like the YMCA and many other such organizations, Chautauqua was founded
as a Christian organization.

http://www.ciweb.org/history.html

Er, that's the same link I posted a couple of days ago. It
doesn't state whether their Christian background permeates
their current offerings (the "large doses" posited by one
poster). If, indeed, they're similar to the YMCA, then the
answer would be a definite "no."

Patty

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

As to
religion, Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain was one of the personalities
who did the Chautauqua circuit and I strongly suspect there was
little religious content to his appearances.

Well, he discussed religion, but not in the way that many Christians
appreciated ;-) (except those with a more secular view and sense of humor)