The Euro at $1.55

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default The Euro at $1.55

Mike..... wrote:

Following up to vid Horne, _the_ chancellor

Not all speakers of Spanish Spanish lisp the z either, though the
majority do.

ive been noting the word corazon in songs, its rarely unlisped.

In the songs you listen to. It would be extremely unusual in the spanish
songs I listen to.

I dont in
any case see lisping or not lisping z makes any difference, you still spell
it "z" and its understood, even I can do corazon in spanish or south
american, which proves the point.

No it doesn't. "z" is the _least_ of the differences between different
dialects of Spanish. "ll" varies as well by the way. I'm not in any way
arguing that they are mutually unintelligible by any means, but there
are differences. You were asking if there was much difference- the
inference being that you felt there wasn't. I'd say they're pretty much
the same in the same way UK and US English is. That is, some big
differences, mostly small differences, a whole lot of different accents
and dialects, but ultimately the same language.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mike..... wrote:

Following up to vid Horne, _the_ chancellor

I dont know if its about Guernica

Actually saw that for the first time a few days ago. Very moving and
imposing picture, even with the inevitable crowds.

have you been to the town they have left in ruins?

No. I'm actually very narrowly travelled in Spain.

Cant remember the name,
we got there by accident, just exploring. Wondered what the hell was going
on!
As to the picture, how is it different from seeing it in a book, surely
brush strokes and similar tosh is irrelevant?

If you think it's similar tosh, then it's irrelevant for you, so why
ask? But, if you're asking me, for art I like, I almost always get a lot
more out of it when it's the real thing. Saw "The Garden of Earthly
Delights" by Bosch in the Prado as well. That's a painting I've loved in
books since my early teens- it's a work I felt I'd really got to know,
every nook and cranny of it so to speak. Seeing the real thing was quite
a different experience- completely higher level I thought.

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_2_]

Following up to vid Horne, _the_ chancellor

No it doesn't. "z" is the _least_ of the differences between different
dialects of Spanish. "ll" varies as well by the way. I'm not in any way
arguing that they are mutually unintelligible by any means, but there
are differences. You were asking if there was much difference- the
inference being that you felt there wasn't. I'd say they're pretty much
the same in the same way UK and US English is. That is, some big
differences, mostly small differences, a whole lot of different accents
and dialects, but ultimately the same language.

none of these things stop Spanish having a logical common spelling, it
doesn't matter how "ll" is pronounced in different places, all that matters
is when you hear the appropriate sound for the area, you write down "ll"
that's what spelling is for, in England people seem to think its a badge of
education and the US have spelling bees. Southerners can say "romarn
cartharlic mars and northerners use a shorter "a". All that matters is
using "a" when "a" is appropriate to the pronunciation, however "a" is
sounded in any given area. The dictionary has no problem so I don't believe
one actually exists. The biggest obstacle to the *idea* seems to be the
"spell it "wot" like a schoolboy hwaaa hwaaa hwaaaa" brigade.
--
Mike
remove clothing to email
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:18:35 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Could you cite sveral decisions you consider nutty? And do tell
me if you've actually read them?

I'll cite you one to start with. Go look at Judge Harry Pregerson's
decision with two others to halt the California recall election in
2003 on the basis of the equal protection clause. This was even too
much for the 9th itself, which overturned it en banc before it even
got to the Supreme Court. He also ruled that the Federal government
could not overturn medical marijuana laws passed by states.
Overturned by the Supreme Court. There are plenty more like them.

How about an actual legal cite, so I can look for myself. You
know, like Jones v Smith?

Since there are plenty of them, I'd like to look at five others,
too

Do a search for his name then and you will find them. If the 9th is
like the ciruit my sister is on, they archive all their cases online
so you can read them if you want. Or talk to George Will, who
recommended that we have two Supreme Courts. One regular one and one
to overturn the 9th Circuit decisions. One main reason the 9th isn't
popular with the Supremes is that if the same legal principle is
decided two different ways in two different circuits, the Supreme
Court has to take one of the cases because it can't have the law being
applied differently in two different circuits, which is what happens
until it finally decides the case.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Madrid etc. (was The Euro at $1.55)

Mike..... wrote:

Following up to vid Horne, _the_ chancellor

I'd just like to say i entirely agree, as it so rarely happens.

That's what you say everytime you agree!

true, but it is rare and I want to encourage you :-)

What was smoky Madrid like (this is the one thread for everything now)

I thought it was brilliant. Great time of year to go- sunny (apart from
a shower when we were in the Prado!) but cool to warm, perfect for
walking around. As I alluded in a post several weeks ago, we'd opted for
the cheap (¤42 a night) Etap which is in a suburb. We were very happy
with the choice, as the room was perfect, very quiet, and a few minutes
from a metro station that got us to the centre in 15 minutes. When we
travel, we're usually out the whole day, so it was just a simple commute
in the morning then last thing in the evening.

Although the metro is excellent and very cheap, I think Madrid is easily
coverable by foot, with a little planning for circular routes etc. The
tourist information have a decent map for the centre, which pretty well
covers all the street names, which is unusual I find with such free
maps.

Although our schedule sounds a bit hectic, it worked well for us. A very
brief summary- arriving around noon on Thursday, after lunch headed to
the Reina Sofia Museum, where we overdosed on Picasso (and others).
Friday, we took the train to Toledo where we spent the day, returning in
the late afternoon. Saturday, we did some serious walking around, and
ended the afternoon (with thousands of others by the looks of it) in the
Retiro Park. Sunday, more walking, then the cable car out to the Casa de
Campo which was great fun. Prado in the late afternoon. Monday, train to
Segovia in the morning, returning late afternoon. Then, back to the UK
early next morning. The two museums in Madrid were all that we'd opted
to visit. The rest of the time was spent doing what we usually do on
this kind of holiday- walking around, soaking up the atmosphere
(avoiding smoke when possible), going into odd or interesting stores
(though I bought a sombrero at H&M) and eating. Some of the good stuff
we had included the suckling pig I'd mentioned, also suckling lamb,
partridge, rabbit, tripe (callos a la madrileña- excellent!) and
seafood. Also happened on a nice Peruvian restaurant (the only
'non-Spanish' meal we had) where we had Causa (OK- not as good as
Oscar's mother's though) and great anticuchos de corazon. On that
subject, we appreciated the way that the suckling pig and rabbit
included the giblets- we wouldn't expect that in the UK.

We actually 'visited' more in Toledo and Segovia. Both cathedrals are
excellent- Toledo is exquisite on the inside, while Segovia's impressed
more on the outside. The aquaduct in Segovia is very impressive. For my
money, Tarrogona's is more 'beautiful' but the scale of Segovia's, and
the way the city has been built around it is undeniably impressive, even
if they do park the number 11 bus at the foot of it!

My 'rough guide directions' for Madrid (picked up cheap in a bookstore a
few weeks ago) was very helpful, though it notes the journey time from
Madrid to Segovia is around 2 hours. Not any more! The AVE from
Chamartin station takes you there in 30 minutes, including a 17 mile
long tunnel under the Guadarramas. Very impressive! Toledo is also on a
high speed line, and 30 minutes away, from Atocha station.

On both services (which only stopped at those respective towns) they
seemed very much geared for tourists, who were definitely most of the
traffic. I say 'most' but the trains weren't very full. The AVE to
Segovia was practically empty, so it would be interesting to know my
carbon count per mile on that one! Still, beautiful trains, and a
fantastic cheap service, around ¤15 return on each. These trains make
both fascinating cities ideal and easy day trips. I was actually
slightly annoyed that the return trip from Toledo was so short- I was
getting comfortable!

I'll leave aside the smoking issue- I find it immensely irritating, and
hope that the law can be changed soon...