Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Rich Ahrens

Default Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Scott M. Kozel wrote:

"Edge" wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote:

No, you are. He only missed the whole U.S., North America, Central
America, and most of South America with his lame "joke".

diddums .... doesn't take a mental genius to figure out timezones.

Why not give it up? All these "attempted April Fools Jokes" were pretty
lame anyway .. crossposting breaches the AUP of most ISP's AND it's now the
3rd April so settle down ....

Multiple problems with the original post, as you say. Rich Ahrens
ignores that, and instead channels John Tarver.

No, Scott. You're channeling a brick on this one.

|Rich Ahrens | Homepage: http://www.visi.com/~rma/ |
|-----------------------------------------------|
|"In a world full of people only some want to fly - isn't that crazy?" |
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
AbsolutelyCertain

"JL Grasso" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:26:54 -0700, "AbsolutelyCertain"
wrote:

"JL Grasso" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:17:52 -0700, "AbsolutelyCertain"
wrote:

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message
. visi.com...
Scott M. Kozel wrote:

nobody wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

Posting an "April Fools Day" joke on March 31st is LAME, and the

"joke"
was LAME to begin with.

Hold on a minute. Look at the list of newsgroups the original post

was
sent
to. It was perfectly legitimate.

Baloney, any way you slice it.

These are worldwide newsgroups -- rec.aviation.piloting,

rec.travel.air,
alt.disasters.aviation, and rec.aviation.piloting

Scott, you're full of crap on this one. By your standards, it would

be
lame to post an April Fools joke on April 2nd as well. But any time

one
chose to post it, it would be either March 31st or April 2nd

*somewhere*
in the worldwide audience. He posted on 4/1 in his timezone. The

only
reason the post had a 3/31 timestamp on was that it was posted

through
Altopia, which always substitutes its local time, IP address, etc.

Give it up.

Which pope was it, again, that established April Fools Day?

Tarver says they named the calendar aft him; Pope Swimsuit IV.

Ah. Tarver claims more stuff named after him than JFK and Ronald Reagan,
combined, it seems.

Whooosh?

Possibly. I just felt like pinching off a good Tarver rant, hadn't done one
in a long time.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
running with scissors

"Edge" wrote in message ...
"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message
Rich Ahrens wrote:

No, you are. He only missed the whole U.S., North America, Central
America, and most of South America with his lame "joke".

diddums .... doesn't take a mental genius to figure out timezones.

Why not give it up? All these "attempted April Fools Jokes" were pretty
lame anyway .. crossposting breaches the AUP of most ISP's AND it's now the
3rd April so settle down ....

in which time zone ??

*grin*
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Tosser

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

If I was going to post an "April Fools Day" post to worldwide news
groups, I would at least time it so that Europe and the Americas would
be on April 1st, after all these are English-speaking newsgroups, so the
vast majority of likely readers would be in those places.

GRIN

Asserted in the true spirit of April Fools Day.

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:24 AM
patshambler

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Rich Ahrens wrote:
Scott M. Kozel wrote:
nobody wrote:
"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

Posting an "April Fools Day" joke on March 31st is LAME, and the

"joke"
was LAME to begin with.

Hold on a minute. Look at the list of newsgroups the original post

was sent
to. It was perfectly legitimate.

Baloney, any way you slice it.

These are worldwide newsgroups -- rec.aviation.piloting,

rec.travel.air,
alt.disasters.aviation, and rec.aviation.piloting

Scott, you're full of crap on this one.

No, you are. He only missed the whole U.S., North America, Central
America, and most of South America with his lame "joke".

Sez you, the humorless wonder...

To replace the logic you snipped for failure to have any argument
against it:

By your standards, it would be lame to post an April Fools joke on April
2nd as well.

Indeed, plus on any other day of the year other than April 1st.

But any time one chose to post it, it would be either March
31st or April 2nd *somewhere* in the worldwide audience. He posted on
4/1 in his timezone. The only reason the post had a 3/31 timestamp on
was that it was posted through Altopia, which always substitutes its
local time, IP address, etc.

Most ISPs do put local time in the date-time stamp of a post.

If I was going to post an "April Fools Day" post to worldwide news
groups, I would at least time it so that Europe and the Americas would
be on April 1st, after all these are English-speaking newsgroups, so the
vast majority of likely readers would be in those places.

Errr.... hello?!?!?! Seems like you northern hemisphere peoples forgot about
us Antipodeans (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa), not to mention all
the various non-white English speakers in our region.

Typical myopic reaction, sigh, must get used to it I suppose

Old April 4th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Edge

"patshambler" wrote in message

Typical myopic reaction, sigh, must get used to it I suppose

Sad isn't it how some people think the world revolves around them .. and
rather than actually spend a little time considering that there ARE people
outside their own borders whine continually (3 days after the event it is
still going) about how the rest of the world should pander to them.

Fair enough to if they want the rest of the world to consider that they're
HALFWITS and require mollycoddling ... but I dont' think i'd be happy with
the world thinking that my country was full of slow pokes.

Old April 4th, 2004, 09:44 AM
S Green

"Edge" wrote in message

"patshambler" wrote in message

Typical myopic reaction, sigh, must get used to it I suppose

Sad isn't it how some people think the world revolves around them .. and
rather than actually spend a little time considering that there ARE people
outside their own borders whine continually (3 days after the event it is
still going) about how the rest of the world should pander to them.

Fair enough to if they want the rest of the world to consider that they're
HALFWITS and require mollycoddling ... but I dont' think i'd be happy with
the world thinking that my country was full of slow pokes.

Truth hurts though, don't it!

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Pooh Bear

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Rich Ahrens wrote:
Scott M. Kozel wrote:
nobody wrote:
"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

[...]

You only think English is widely spoken in Europe and the Americas ?

wow

so the vast majority of likely readers would be in those places.

Just to give some perspective - India may have a total of 18 official languages but
only two are regonised as national languages - Hindi and ENGLISH.

Not to mention many African and Mid / South East Asian states, our antipodean friends
and many others who *choose* to speak English.

I still say UTC was the relevant time by which to judge the post.

Graham

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Pooh Bear

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
But any time one chose to post it, it would be either March
31st or April 2nd *somewhere* in the worldwide audience. He posted on
4/1 in his timezone. The only reason the post had a 3/31 timestamp on
was that it was posted through Altopia, which always substitutes its
local time, IP address, etc.

Most ISPs do put local time in the date-time stamp of a post.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Altopia is not an ISP. It is
a news service. And many news servers use the time of the machine the
user is posting from (i.e., their PC), while Altopia is specifically
structured to hide the location and, if desired, identity of a poster.

If I was going to post an "April Fools Day" post to worldwide news
groups, I would at least time it so that Europe and the Americas would
be on April 1st, after all these are English-speaking newsgroups, so the
vast majority of likely readers would be in those places.

That's because you're a chauvinistic prig. But even by your own
standard, you're wrong again. The post was timestamped at 7:37 p.m.
Altopia is hosted in the Pacific timezone, so that was 3:37 a.m. on
April 1st in the U.K., and even later in the rest of Europe. So your
argument, lame as it is, comes down to his not waiting til midnight in
the U.S. and Canada.

BTW, according to the 1995 Encyclopedia Britannica Yearbook, the
following numbers of English speakers were found in the Asia Pacific region:

Philippines 36,000,000
India 30,000,000
Australia 17,300,000
Pakistan 15,000,000
New Zealand 3,205,000
Malaysia 6,000,000
Hong Kong 1,890,000
Singapore 1,097,000

Plus many more countries with smaller numbers. Then there are the tens
of millions in Africa. There were plenty of potential English readers
outside your little world. Not to mention that English is the
international language of aviation.

As I said, you're full of crap.

Well Rich,

we may have said rude things about each other in the past , but I have to
respect your entirely factual approach to this issue. May be coloured by the
fact that it concurs with mine of course ;-)

I didn't actually believe Scott *was* full of crap - in years gone by, he seemed
like an affable chap - like many others here who have a genuine interest in
transportation and specifically aviation issues.

I reckon too much time spent in 'incestuous' name-calling in recent times has
somewhat spoilt this group.

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

Regds, Graham

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Paul Sengupta

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message
The suggestion of all-gray makes more sense. Gray doesn't show filth as
fast as most other colors.

Did they ever find out which was the most aerodynamic colour?