Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Paul Sengupta

Default Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message
isi.com...
He posted on 4/1 in his timezone. The only
reason the post had a 3/31 timestamp on was that it was posted through
Altopia, which always substitutes its local time, IP address, etc.

My news server gives it as 01/04/2004, 02:37.

Paul

Old April 6th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Pooh Bear wrote:

we may have said rude things about each other in the past , but I have to
respect your entirely factual approach to this issue. May be coloured by the
fact that it concurs with mine of course ;-)

I didn't actually believe Scott *was* full of crap - in years gone by, he seemed
like an affable chap - like many others here who have a genuine interest in
transportation and specifically aviation issues.

I reckon too much time spent in 'incestuous' name-calling in recent times has
somewhat spoilt this group.

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

Here you are, still replying about it on April 5.

Look, the original post blew chunks. Its post date on my news server,
and on the Google archives, is Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500. I saw
the post about 5 minutes after it posted, and that was right about 5
minutes after 8:37 PM US EST on March 31st.

I see "April Fools Jokes" on some of the regional newsgroups (i.e.
where it is easy to get it on April 1st for the whole audience) that I
read, and I don't mind them in principle. If I see something like that
on April 1st, usually I just think "April Fools! Ha! Ha!" and move on.

In this case, it was about the merger of American Airlines and United
Airlines, two airlines that are headquartered in the U.S. It is up to
the April Fooler to provide a joke that is funny, and well-executed and
well-timed. Given that the 4 time zones in the continental U.S. had
March 31st PM times of 8:37, 7:37, 6:37 and 5:37, respectively heading
west, it was not immediately apparent that this was an "April Fools
Joke", and that made the post just plain annoying as well as deceptive.

This is the risk that you take when you attempt a worldwide "April Fools
Joke".

Like I said, the original post blew chunks.

YMMV.
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Ted Harrison

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message

Did they ever find out which was the most aerodynamic colour?

White. Because it sucks.

GRIN

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:09 AM
mtravelkay

Paul Sengupta wrote:

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message
isi.com...

He posted on 4/1 in his timezone. The only
reason the post had a 3/31 timestamp on was that it was posted through
Altopia, which always substitutes its local time, IP address, etc.

My news server gives it as 01/04/2004, 02:37.

Wow... January 4... Kind of delayed, huh

(note the smiley)

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:29 AM
John Mazor

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took me the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and watches,
and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Do Brits even believe in daylight saving time? I think they did something
to benefit production in WW2. Listening to the BBC World News feed at
midnight last night, I noticed that the GMT difference shift had shifted by
one hour, so apparently you folks didn't fast-forward your clocks an hour at
2:00 a.m. Sunday morning like we did.

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:39 AM
David Brooks

Britain switched the previous weekend. I'm pretty sure we invented it! It
was one of those crazy proposals that was universally laughed at initially,
and universally adopted soon thereafter. During WW2, there was a 2-hour
shift to "make the evenings even longer" on the farms.

My mother, at 84, can still stay on top of the shifting time differences:
apart from being a week off from me, she has to cope with my brother, in New
Zealand, who puts the clocks back on yet a different weekend (either next,
or the one before last, I forget).

But the World Service, like aviation, keeps its schedules on GMT, and for
much the same reason.

-- David Brooks

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Pooh Bear

John Mazor wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Anyone interested in 'turning the clock back' ?

No! We just turned ours forward for Daylight Savings Time. It took me the
better part of an hour Sunday morning to reset all my clocks and watches,
and at my age I need at least a month to adjust my circadian rhythms.

Do Brits even believe in daylight saving time? I think they did something
to benefit production in WW2. Listening to the BBC World News feed at
midnight last night, I noticed that the GMT difference shift had shifted by
one hour, so apparently you folks didn't fast-forward your clocks an hour at
2:00 a.m. Sunday morning like we did.

Not last Sunday - the one before !

There's been some conjecture about the continuing sense of daylight saving time
- or British Summer Time as it's known here.

You should see +01:00 in my current posting time btw.

Graham

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:55 AM
John Mazor

"David Brooks" wrote in message
Britain switched the previous weekend. I'm pretty sure we invented it! It
was one of those crazy proposals that was universally laughed at

initially,
and universally adopted soon thereafter. During WW2, there was a 2-hour
shift to "make the evenings even longer" on the farms.

My mother, at 84, can still stay on top of the shifting time differences:
apart from being a week off from me, she has to cope with my brother, in

New
Zealand, who puts the clocks back on yet a different weekend (either next,
or the one before last, I forget).

But the World Service, like aviation, keeps its schedules on GMT, and for
much the same reason.

Yes, what started out as a wartime production expedient now allows workers
to get home and maximize their outdoor leisure activities.

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:05 AM
John Mazor

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
John Mazor wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

[...]

Proposals here for year-round DST during one of the recent energy crises
were met with the complaint that in winter months, school kiddies would be
standing in the dark as they waited for their school buses.

You should see +01:00 in my current posting time btw.

My ISP tags it as 9:54 p.m. tonight.

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:21 AM
nobody

John Mazor wrote:
Do Brits even believe in daylight saving time? I think they did something
to benefit production in WW2. Listening to the BBC World News feed at
midnight last night, I noticed that the GMT difference shift had shifted by
one hour, so apparently you folks didn't fast-forward your clocks an hour at
2:00 a.m. Sunday morning like we did.

GMT does NOT change with seasons.

But the UK does change.

The problem si taht outside of north america, those who change, change the
last weekend of marchs, while north america changes first weekend of april.