Quick Manhattan family trip: advice?

Old March 5th, 2005, 09:56 PM
John Manning

Default Quick Manhattan family trip: advice?

We're a couple with 2 teenage daughters staying in Manhattan 1 night this
June. Our plan is to stay just outside of town (someplace moderate but not
scary) the nights before and after the NYC excursion. Has anyone done
this/have advice? We don't want to deal with taking our car into town, but
we don't want to pay a fortune to keep it safe or spend a fortune on
lodging--we're already doing that in NYC!

Does anybody have useful advice (not "you're not visiting long enough--we
already know that!) on a good place to stay, good way to get in and out,
packages, etc?
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Rog'

"John Manning" wrote...
We're a couple with 2 teenage daughters staying in Manhattan
1 night this June. Our plan is to stay just outside of town
(someplace moderate but not scary) the nights before and after
the NYC excursion. Has anyone done this/have advice? We don't
want to deal with taking our car into town, but we don't want to
pay a fortune to keep it safe or spend a fortune on lodging--we're
already doing that in NYC!
Does anybody have useful advice (not "you're not visiting long
enough--we already know that!) on a good place to stay, good
way to get in and out, packages, etc?

I suggest that you book a hotel in a suburb North of NYC along
one of the Metro-North commuter train lines that run into Grand
Central Station. Grand Central is in the heart of Manhattan and
subways from there run in all directions. I suggest New Rochelle,
on the New Haven (Conn) line, or Scarsdale or White Plains on
the Harlem line. These are the nicest close-in suburbs. The ride
is short, cheap and you can purchase tickets online. Check out
the Metro-North website: http://www.mta.info/mnr/ for maps,
schedules and other information. =R=

Old March 5th, 2005, 10:46 PM
jcoulter

"Rog'" wrote in news:IkqWd.5485$6g7.5061
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

"John Manning" wrote...
[...]

Tarrytown has a few nice properties including a courtyard by Marriott
not too far from the RR station.

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Gary Klauber

There are also hotels near MetroPark (NJ) near the New Jersey Transit train
lines that go into Penn Station. Metropark (Iselin, NJ) is easily reached
via the NJ turnpike and Garden State Pkwy. If you buy theater tickets for
the evening in the City, just be sure of the return train schedule.

Old March 6th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Rog'

"John Manning" wrote...
... Our plan is to stay just outside of town [NYC]...the nights

"Rog'" wrote:
I suggest ...New Rochelle, on the New Haven (Conn) line, or
Scarsdale or White Plains on the Harlem line.

"jcoulter" wrote...
Tarrytown has a few nice properties including a Courtyard by
Marriott not too far from the RR station.

Agreed. Nearby is Sleepy Hollow and the Phillipsburg Manor,
worth a tourist stop. =R=

Old March 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:56:59 GMT, John Manning
wrote:

We're a couple with 2 teenage daughters staying in Manhattan 1 night this
June. Our plan is to stay just outside of town (someplace moderate but not
scary) the nights before and after the NYC excursion. Has anyone done
this/have advice? We don't want to deal with taking our car into town, but
we don't want to pay a fortune to keep it safe or spend a fortune on
lodging--we're already doing that in NYC!

Not all of Manhattan is a nightmare to get in and out of. I once
stayed at a small hotel on the upper West Side, coming in from
Connecticut with my husband and two kids and my son-in-law. Getting
in and out was a breeze from Route 95 and we even found free parking
on the street, although we had to get up early to move the car for
street cleaning. The hotel was a mixed bag, and I don't remember the
name, but it was clean and charming and wasn't expensive. It's biggest
fault was noisy steam heating pipes.

To get cheap hotels outside of New York, you have to go quite far from
the city, and the commute will waste a lot of your time, especially
during the morning and evening rush hour. Also, there really isn't any
place where your car will be safer than in Manhattan, unless it's in
an attended lot.

Depending on which direction you're coming from, your best option
might be to leave the car in an attended long-term lot at a train
station or a ferry dock and take the train or ferry into New York,
spending the night in Manhattan. I have a feeling that your daughters
will enjoy Manhattan at night, and it's a great convenience to have a
hotel you can go back to for a nap or a wash-up before dinner, and, of
course, a place to drop off your purchases.

You can get good bargains for hotels in New York using one of the many
online reservation services. I don't have a particular one to
recommend, but others may be able to help you.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
John Manning wrote:

We're a couple with 2 teenage daughters staying in Manhattan 1 night this
June. Our plan is to stay just outside of town (someplace moderate but not
scary) the nights before and after the NYC excursion. Has anyone done
this/have advice? We don't want to deal with taking our car into town, but
we don't want to pay a fortune to keep it safe or spend a fortune on
lodging--we're already doing that in NYC!

Does anybody have useful advice (not "you're not visiting long enough--we
already know that!) on a good place to stay, good way to get in and out,
packages, etc?

With only one night, I think you are making a big mistake by not staying
right in Manhattan. I am sure you can find a comfortable hotel in your
price range in Manhattan. You can leave your car outside the city, but
really, driving in Manhattan is not a big deal. You would, however, save
some money by parking outside the city and taking public transit in.
Even if you leave your car outside the city, that's no reason you have
to stay outside of Manhattan.

If you post more details, such as where you will be driving in from,
what your price range is for a hotel, and the areas in Manhattan that
interest you the most, you can get much more useful advise here.