Denver

Old June 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
JM

Default Denver

I will be going to Denver in August for 10 days for a conference cum
holidays. Is there any good recommendation on what to see and do in and
around Denver? I prefer outdoor activities and nature including trekking,
farm-stay.

Old June 13th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Alan

I'm glad you prefer outdoor activities because Denver is pretty much a
cultural wasteland. Not much to do around in the city. A Rockies
game is fun but be prepared to see the home team lose.

I assume you'll have a car. There's plenty of places to go for day
hikes if you don't mind a little driving. Rocky Mountain National
Park is the crown jewel but can be crowded on the week-ends. Also,
great are the hikes out of Eldora past Nederland up from Boulder.
Arapaho Pass is especially beautiful. You could also put a couple of
Fourteeners under your belt with Gray's and Torrey's peaks. The
trailhead is about 1 1/2 hours up I-70 from Denver.

If you're going to hike in the mountains, plan to start early because
you'll see afternoon thunderstorms forming every day. Be sure to
pack well with a jacket and some basic survival gear in case you get
disoriented. Temps drop to cold at night. Water, some food, a
lighter and a whistle would be prudent.