Visiting Harlem (NYC)

Old October 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Skookum

Default Visiting Harlem (NYC)

I have been to New York City many times but no doubt because of supreme
ignorance mixed with usually sublimated fear, and being distinctly not
a person of color, I've never really been to Harlem. Yes,I will admit
it: the thought of going north and east of Central Park intimidates me
a bit. But next spring I am planning a family visit to NYC. I'd like to
spend a day up in Harlem and am seeking advice on how best to travel
there and around, what the highlights are, any tours made for the
somewhat meek and lily-white etc. Since I'll have my three daughters
(11,9 and 7) along, attractions of special interest to that age set
would be appreciated.

Old October 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Linda -

On 4 Oct 2005 08:15:42 -0700, "Skookum" wrote:

I have been to New York City many times but no doubt because of supreme
ignorance mixed with usually sublimated fear, and being distinctly not
a person of color, I've never really been to Harlem. Yes,I will admit
it: the thought of going north and east of Central Park intimidates me
a bit. But next spring I am planning a family visit to NYC. I'd like to
spend a day up in Harlem and am seeking advice on how best to travel
there and around, what the highlights are, any tours made for the
somewhat meek and lily-white etc. Since I'll have my three daughters
(11,9 and 7) along, attractions of special interest to that age set
would be appreciated.

try these tours

www.harlemheritage.com
www.harlemspirituals.com

there are probably others

Old October 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM

"I'd like to spend a day up in Harlem and am seeking advice on how best
to travel there and around,"

Unless you are on a double-decker hop-on hop-off bus that includes
Harlem, just take the subway to 125th street.

"what the highlights are, any tours made for the somewhat meek and
lily-white etc. Since I'll have my three daughters
(11,9 and 7) along, attractions of special interest to that age set
would be appreciated."

There are lots of walking tours, including specialized tours that focus
on the Harlem Rennaisance, on jazz music, on the civil rights movement,
and on hip-hop culture.

Jazz clubs - you should call in advance to make sure they will allow
people under 21.

Soul food

Church services featuring gospel music

Little Africa - an enclave of African immigrants on West 116th street
where you can find African restaurants and stores that sell African
clothing.

Old October 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM

parts of harlem look better than most smaller inner cities......

I am white but have a decent time toolong round up there....certainly
more fun than the pretentious coke sniffing int he bathroom crowd on
wall street.....

Chuck

Old October 5th, 2005, 02:05 AM

"Why do you want to visit a slum?"

Harlem is not "a slum". It's a thriving community with a long history
that is a center of African-American culture, and has a lot to offer
visitors who are interested in that history and culture.