request for bids/info

Old January 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kate

Default request for bids/info

On Jan 27, 8:12*pm, J Carnaghie wrote:
JohnT wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

Looking for information and bids for the following:

A 7-14 day cruise, leaving from Florida or the middle east coast,
that allows one to bring their personal motorcycle along and
offload/ride it on the Carib islands visited by the cruise. Anytime
in 2009 is fine as dates are open. Cruise line is open, but we prefer
smaller ships. Currently have in excess of 30 cruises under our belt
with the majority on Princess and HAL, but have sailed on Carnival,
RC, Azamara, Radisson and others. I know for certain that RC does
this on Freedom of the Seas, but we're also open to something else.

My son-in-law a Harley owner and rider (a few days ago in the snow)
was looking into:
* * * * *www.cruise-eta.com

Click on Theme Cruises in the box on the left hand top of the screen.
It takes you to what they have available for 2009 and 2010. *We were
on Explorer of the Seas and heard the engines. *Ran to the pier side
of the ship and watched as 30 or 40 bikes came down the ramp. *What a
sound, *ok stop me, I get carried away.

The problem we were going to run into was getting the bike from
Bensalem, PA to Miami in the winter.

Aren't you allowed to transport motorcycles in the Guard's Van of trains
in your Country? Amtrak Silver Star Philadelphia to Miami.

No "guards van's" on Amtrak trains. Sometimes not
even any luggage service at all - just schlep your
own into a pile at the end of the car. They will
take bicycles but nothing containing flammable
materials. Train service in the U.S. is generally
a bit rugged and EXPENSIVE.
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)- Hide quoted text -

John in LALALAND,

There are no "guard vans" on Amtrak trains here in the US. Have never
had any trouble with luggage "service" If I couldn't check my bags
there was always someone there who would take my bag to my seat/
compartment and stow it for me unlike the trains in Germany where, at
one time in my life I had to travel from Frankfurt to Munich with 3
little kids under 5 years old and about 10 pieces of luggage. Almost
missed that one. Either I'm much prettier than you or I'm just old
and they feel sorry for me. I amagine it's the latter. :-)

Kate
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kate

On Jan 27, 8:48*pm, Charles wrote:
In article , J Carnaghie

wrote:
No "guards van's" on Amtrak trains. Sometimes not
even any luggage service at all - just schlep your
own into a pile at the end of the car. They will
take bicycles but nothing containing flammable
materials. Train service in the U.S. is generally
a bit rugged and EXPENSIVE.

They will take motorcycles on one train, the Auto Train which runs from
Lorton, Virginia (near Washington DC) to Sanford Florida (near
Orlando).

--
Charles

Charles,

Was going to add that when I thought of it but it's still 100 miles
from Bensalem PA to Lorton, VA then another 100 from Sanford to Miami,
FL. Have been looking for a trailer to transport the bike, If we
decide to do this.

Thanks,

KateGGC2009 Chairperson
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Kate wrote:
On Jan 27, 5:16 pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Kate, wasn't that one of the GGCs? I was on the Disney Magic the same
week and doing the same ports. We were supposed to dock in St. Thomas,
but the schedule changed and we had to tender instead. We were told that
it was because of a "moter cycle" cruise and of course they had to dock.lol

sue- Hide quoted text -

Sue,

I wasn't on that GGC. One I had to miss for some reason or other but
I did hear about the Harleys there. It made me go look for how to do
it for Troy. And I believe that that was the one that the Captain of
the ship also had his Hog with him and led the parade. (that one may
have been on another cruise, will have to look ino my notes when I get
a chance.)

I did hear, and I do have notes on it, regarding a cruise where at
every port there is a Harley waiting for you. Someone was telling me
about it at the store in St. Maarten. You booked the cruise, paid
your money and were able to leave the ship at every port (was an
Eastern St Maarten, St Thomas and can't remember where else) and you
would go to a Harley store/where ever and pick out the bike from their
inventory and ride it all over the lsland - with a guide.

KateGGC2009 - Solstice - 11 days, Woopee!!!!

Thanks Kate. I don't know anything about motorcycles, but having one
waiting for you at each port makes more sense to me.

11 days is way too long, wish we were on the Solstice right now!!

sue