Continental threats

Old September 9th, 2003, 04:57 PM
me

Default Continental threats

"Te Canaille" wrote in message news:Q6b7b.43885$uh6.41692@lakeread05...
[snip]
At that moment an act of complete irony took place when a gentleman arrived
at the adjoining counter with a hard shelled golf club case that looked as
though a Mack truck and 3 burly teamsters would be needed
to load it onto the plane. It was roughly the same dimensions as my duffle and was accepted without comment by another Continental
agent. Upon pointing that out I was informed that golf club bags and certain
other oversized items were exempt from the extra
charge.

[snip]

1) I'd write Continental and explain (with names) how you were
threatened. CC the credit card company

2) I'd ask why the golf bag but not your duffle

3) I'd buy a golf bag carrier (they're alot like a duffle and they
sell really cheap ones at Wal-K-Target of your choice.) They don't
ask what's packed IN a golf carrier.
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:25 AM

On 9 Sep 2003 08:57:28 -0700, (me) wrote:

"Te Canaille" wrote in message news:Q6b7b.43885$uh6.41692@lakeread05...
[snip]
At that moment an act of complete irony took place when a gentleman arrived
at the adjoining counter with a hard shelled golf club case that looked as
though a Mack truck and 3 burly teamsters would be needed
to load it onto the plane. It was roughly the same dimensions as my duffle and was accepted without comment by another Continental
agent. Upon pointing that out I was informed that golf club bags and certain
other oversized items were exempt from the extra
charge.

[snip]

1) I'd write Continental and explain (with names) how you were
threatened. CC the credit card company

Sure go ahead. And be sure to bring all your witnesses with you when
you rant on.

2) I'd ask why the golf bag but not your duffle

They already told him that, but I guess you can't read or comprehend
like he can't either. So waste more of your time and theirs. Wait
until you are trying to check in behind some clown like this and need
to make a flight and see how tolerant you are of his bull**** then.

3) I'd buy a golf bag carrier (they're alot like a duffle and they
sell really cheap ones at Wal-K-Target of your choice.) They don't
ask what's packed IN a golf carrier.

Another complete juvenile in action. Don't obey their rules but try
to get around them and then accuse them of fraud when you get caught.

Old September 12th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Te Canaille

"TMOliver" wrote in message ...
This seems one of those cases where the CO staffer made a bad situation
even worse attitudinally (not infrequent these days, although CO's ground
staff have seemed beter'n the old days the past couple of years, but I'm
not sure that Te would have been less angry had the problem occurred when
his trip started instead of on the homeward bound leg.

Au contraire ! When my trip started I had the option to remove the pad and stowe it in my vehicle or make other arrangements. Once
in Cleveland I had no options. I was forced to remove the pad and abandon it in the airport. It's a $ 60 item. Since the charge was
$80 it seemed better to just buy a new one later. I lost a $ 60 pad because of their capriciousness. Problem is I explained this to
the agents and instead of a symphatic or helpful approach, they threatened me with a charge for the previous flight which they
obviously would have put on my credit card since I had paid with one. There was no anger only surprise, until this threat occurred,
that changed the situation immediately. The whole scene was aggrevated by the fact that the golf club case was checked through in
front of us all.
If they had said OK we'll get you back home intact but don't bring this bag again, I would have conformed to the policy on
future flights but threats are not a proper response to any customer especially when the carrier contributed to the predicament in
such large measure.
Thanks for your opinion.

Te

Old September 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM
TMOliver

(me) vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

wrote in message
. ..
On 10 Sep 2003 05:11:09 -0700,
(me) wrote:
[snip]
Airlines wanna have capricious rules, who am I not to use them
to my advantage? You gonna say that choosing to stay a saturday
night to take advantage of some silly saturday night stay rule
is a "juvenile action"?

Good, then pack you own ass in a golf bag and fly for free.

Surely you must know they won't ship a golf bag for free without
an accompanying passenger? The ticket for the passenger will
cost (somebody).

No, it's for his wife, small enough to fit in golf bag, the free companion
ticket approach, although she has to take a 5 iron, a sand wedge and a
putter into the bag with her so he can play a par 3 course.

TMO - who being a once and former golfer believe that the airlines' not
charging for golf bags or bicycles all thse years was rank and rampant
dicrimination against those of us who wanted to carry our subcompact cars
along for free.

This seems one of those cases where the CO staffer made a bad situation
even worse attitudinally (not infrequent these days, although CO's ground
staff have seemed beter'n the old days the past couple of years, but I'm
not sure that Tre would have been less angry had the problem occurred when
his trip started instead of on the homeward bound leg.

Certainly, whether it's CO, BA or whichever, the airline has a reasonably
ironclad "right" (even in the midst of a journey, unless your 'conditions
of carriage" prohibit same) to alter both its stated and actual practices
concerning oversized items, but a good way to **** off everyone but golfing
businessmen and a few crazed cyclists (Lance Armstrong, Miguel and puir
absent JF) is to continue to allow bicycles, golf bags (and honestly even
whell chairs and strollers) to not be subject to the "rules" as apllied to
everyone else.

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:30 AM

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 04:04:07 -0500, "Te Canaille"
wrote:

"TMOliver" wrote in message ...
[...]

Uh, duh. Sports equipment have their own rules. Duffle bags are
covered by others. Thieves get no sympathy. In Saudia Arabia they
would have cut your hand off. Go complain to them.

If they had said OK we'll get you back home intact but don't bring this bag again, I would have conformed to the policy on
future flights but threats are not a proper response to any customer especially when the carrier contributed to the predicament in
such large measure.
Thanks for your opinion.

Sure. Your considered response was to become a thief.