German car rental: Sixt vs AutoEurope

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM

Default German car rental: Sixt vs AutoEurope

When I was trying Sixt reservation online, it was giving pretty much
the same quote as AutoEurope. With their limited mileage (100km/day)
and Eastern Europe limitations, Sixt did not make sense at all.

But now I got 20% discount on Sixt with Lufthansa, and when I called
Sixt they claimed:
1. Mileage is unlimited
2. Going to Eastern Europe (Czech) for no additional charge

Did they change their policies recently ? And are there other problems
one can expect from Sixt ?
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

But now I got 20% discount on Sixt with Lufthansa, and when I called
Sixt they claimed:
1. Mileage is unlimited
2. Going to Eastern Europe (Czech) for no additional charge
Did they change their policies recently?

Rates and terms will often differ, with all European car companies,
AutoEurope included, depending upon your country of residence--and I would
imagine that if you used a particular discount number to get the 20% off
rate, that rates and terms will be different specifically for use with that
discount number. If you were to find a corporate discount number and try
that, there is a good possibility that rates and terms would be different
again. Car companies must hire a boatload of actuarial scientists to
figure out the insurance/mileage/restrictions/price formulae, and sometimes
it's worth it to try different approaches to getting a rate quote, including
different affinity numbers, to see what the computer will cough up this
time.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Stagshrine

Auto Europe has a "beat all other offers" policy. You might want to give
them a call now and see if they will beat your Sixt offer. I can tell you
from my own experience they are very serious about it.

--
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine
Stagshrine

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:46 AM
Howard N. Lute

Problem...Sixt web site quoted $76.00USD for a one day rental and when
we arrived at the counter we were give another higher (of course)
price. The web site didn't indicate a charge (100Euros!) would be
charged for dropping the car off in Bourges in central France either.
Both were surprises but the original quote for a ONE DAY rental of a
tiny car was $76.00USD which turned into $227USD! Sixt...never again!

On 21 Apr 2004 13:49:48 -0700, wrote:

When I was trying Sixt reservation online, it was giving pretty much
the same quote as AutoEurope. With their limited mileage (100km/day)
and Eastern Europe limitations, Sixt did not make sense at all.

But now I got 20% discount on Sixt with Lufthansa, and when I called
Sixt they claimed:
1. Mileage is unlimited
2. Going to Eastern Europe (Czech) for no additional charge

Did they change their policies recently ? And are there other problems
one can expect from Sixt ?

Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page:
http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:27 AM

Problem...Sixt web site quoted $76.00USD for a one day rental and when
we arrived at the counter we were give another higher (of course)
price. The web site didn't indicate a charge (100Euros!) would be
charged for dropping the car off in Bourges in central France either.

My Sixt reservation letter has a footnote: "one way rentals may cause
additional fees. Please contact your rental station". May be there was
a sililar footnote with your Website quote.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Howard N. Lute" wrote in message
Problem...Sixt web site quoted $76.00USD for a one day rental and when
we arrived at the counter we were give another higher (of course)
price. The web site didn't indicate a charge (100Euros!) would be
charged for dropping the car off in Bourges in central France either.
Both were surprises but the original quote for a ONE DAY rental of a
tiny car was $76.00USD which turned into $227USD! Sixt...never again!

Car rental companies in my experience are terrible for not detailing all the
charges up front. For example, most companies have extra insurance options,
but most don't list them on their website, making it difficult to compare
like with like.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM
GG

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Howard N. Lute" wrote in message
Problem...Sixt web site quoted $76.00USD for a one day rental and when
we arrived at the counter we were give another higher (of course)
price. The web site didn't indicate a charge (100Euros!) would be
charged for dropping the car off in Bourges in central France either.
Both were surprises but the original quote for a ONE DAY rental of a
tiny car was $76.00USD which turned into $227USD! Sixt...never again!

Car rental companies in my experience are terrible for not detailing all

the
charges up front. For example, most companies have extra insurance

options,
but most don't list them on their website, making it difficult to compare
like with like.

Once again, I'll jump in to praise AutoEurope for the clarity of their
rental contract that you receive when you reserve the vehicle. It's very
clear what is covered and what is not, and there would always be an amount
noted for a one-way rental if applicable. AE gives renters a toll-free
number that is answered in their US headquarters 24/7. If there is any
misunderstanding at the rental counter when picking up or dropping off, a
call to AE can straighten it out immediately. Another great advantage for
those of us who live in the US is that AE is located here. If there are any
billing errors, etc., they are easily resolved by calling their toll-free
number. I'll continue to use AE for these reasons as well as their usual
best rates.

GG

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:42 PM
GG

"Stagshrine" wrote in message
Auto Europe has a "beat all other offers" policy. You might want to give
them a call now and see if they will beat your Sixt offer. I can tell you
from my own experience they are very serious about it.

--
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine
Stagshrine

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Once I found a better price elsewhere for a car rental reserved with AE. I
reserved the car, called AE with the confirmation number, they verified it
then lowered the price on my previously reserved car. It's worth
continually checking for this reason, even though this is the one and only
time I've ever found a better deal.

GG

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2004-04-22, Howard N Lute wrote:
Problem...Sixt web site quoted $76.00USD for a one day rental and when
we arrived at the counter we were give another higher (of course)
price. The web site didn't indicate a charge (100Euros!) would be
charged for dropping the car off in Bourges in central France either.

Dropping off a car in another country is going you - that goes for all
the rental places. Did you book the car online, or did you only look at
the prices there? And did you rent from an airport or a trainstation?
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Frank F. Matthews

It is a generic problem with web sites for auto rental that they are
incapable of including drop off charges in their quotes. I've seen it
on a couple of broker sites. I don't know if the company sites manage
or not. At least with the Auto Europe Company they managed a final
quote on the phone. FFM