Rhine/Main/Danube river cruise dock locations?

Old June 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Bert Hyman

Default Rhine/Main/Danube river cruise dock locations?

Are the locations of the docks used by river cruise boats listed
anywhere, detailed enough to find on a street map?

We're doing a Uniworld Vienna to Amsterdam cruise later this year and
I'm curious just where we'll be disembarking in each city.

http://www.uniworld.com/trip_overvie...?Cruise_ID=515

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM

i have not done a cruise like this but looking at the link you sent I
am familiar with some of the cities. In Cologne the docks are just down
from the famous cathedral right in the center of town. In Koblenz the
docks are very close to the center of town too. Rudesheim is small and
right on the Rhine so I am sure you'll be close to the city center as
well. Heidelberg has the Neckar river running thru it and there are
several bridges. The castle is up on the hill and the river runs right
next to the old town area. Don't remember where the river is in
relation to the city center in Miltenberg, Wurzburg, Bamberg, Nuremberf
and Regansburg. In Passau the river runs right thru the old town. Melk
and it's monestary (I think that was it) is up on the hill above the
Danube. In Vienna the river is pretty far from the city old town.

But as you can see it would make sense in medieval times to have the
town centers close to the docks since it was and is a major conduit for
goods and travel.

Have a great trip, it sounds good.

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Keith Anderson

On 27 Jun 2005 14:41:17 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Are the locations of the docks used by river cruise boats listed
anywhere, detailed enough to find on a street map?

We're doing a Uniworld Vienna to Amsterdam cruise later this year and
I'm curious just where we'll be disembarking in each city.

http://www.uniworld.com/trip_overvie...?Cruise_ID=515

Have cruised the Rhine many times - I work as a guide on the ships -
but have never cruised the Main, the canal or the Danube!

Amsterdam
Usual mooring point is de Ruijterkade - 10 mins walk from Central
Station
http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/b5.php

Cologne
Ships moor either side of the Hohenzollernbrücke (railway bridge) -
around 10 mins walk to the cathedral.
http://www.stadt-koeln.de/en/stadtplan/

Koblenz
Normal mooring point is on the Moselle/Mosel bank adjacent to the Old
Town (Peter Altmeier Ufer near Deutsches Eck)
http://www.koblenz.de/stadtplan/k62_...tartseite.html and
press start"

Rüdesheim
Series of landing stages very close to the town - again, about 10 - 15
minutes walk.
http://www.rheingauer-weinmuseum.de/.../stadtplan.htm
At the bottom right is an arrow pointing to "Rhein-Anlagen" which is
where the ships moor.

Heidelberg
Haven't cruised the Main, but IIRC there are fairly central landing
stages. http://www.heidelberg-guide.de/stadtplan/

Miltenberg
Haven't cruised the Main, but IIRC the landing stage is fairly close
to the town centre.

Würzburg
Sorry, don't know
www.wuerzburg.de/tourismus (click on "Stadplan")

Bamberg
Sorry, don't know
http://www.bamberg.info/www_tks/homeen_268_89_7_f.htm (click on "city
map")

Nuremberg
Sorry, don't know

Regensburg
10 -15 mins walk from the Old Town
http://www.regensburg.de/tourismus/i...sh/index.shtml
(go into English section and it will show a zoomable city map)

Passau
Sorry, don't know

Melk
Sorry, don't know, but IIRC it's fairly close.

Vienna
Sorry, don't know.

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old June 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM
John Bermont

As I recall Miltenburg is a tiny village right on the river. We visited
a few times when living in Aschaffenburg, just north. You'll get a good
view of the Schloss in Aschaffenburg as you float by.

Bert Hyman wrote:
Are the locations of the docks used by river cruise boats listed
anywhere, detailed enough to find on a street map?

We're doing a Uniworld Vienna to Amsterdam cruise later this year and
I'm curious just where we'll be disembarking in each city.

http://www.uniworld.com/trip_overvie...?Cruise_ID=515

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 28th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Bert Hyman

In Keith Anderson
wrote:

On 27 Jun 2005 14:41:17 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Are the locations of the docks used by river cruise boats listed
anywhere, detailed enough to find on a street map?

We're doing a Uniworld Vienna to Amsterdam cruise later this year and
I'm curious just where we'll be disembarking in each city.

http://www.uniworld.com/trip_overvie...?Cruise_ID=515

Have cruised the Rhine many times - I work as a guide on the ships -
but have never cruised the Main, the canal or the Danube!

Thanks for the links; lots of nice maps.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN