most scenic route Paris to Geneva

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Steadylee

Default most scenic route Paris to Geneva

Hi;

I am going to be driving from Paris to Geneva this summer. Has anyone
driven this trip before? What is the most scenic route? Can you
recommend some places to see?

Lee

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Mark Fagan

Michelin (www.viamichelin.com), if you set the options to avoid toll roads,
takes you by way of Troyes and Dijon. It increases the driving time by
about 3 hours to 7h37, but you mostly drive on N and D level roads.
www.mappy.com, with the same options, takes you further south, to Nevers and
Moulins and through Bourg-en-Bresse (where the famous chickens are raised).
This route takes 7h47.

oups.com...

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
OughtFour

Steadylee wrote:
Hi;

I am going to be driving from Paris to Geneva this summer. Has anyone
driven this trip before? What is the most scenic route? Can you
recommend some places to see?

You'll be driving though Burgundy. I was there a few months ago on a cycling
holiday and the trip is still fresh in my mind.

You give no hints about what appeals to you. Places I particularly
enjoyed--besides the cycling generally--include the hilltop town of Vezeley,
the restored Abbey at Fontenay, and the wine country in and around Beaune.

I imagine these places can be crowded in season.

If you'd like to know more please post back to the list.

The countryside is lovely even if you don't want to stop along the way. Have
a great trip!

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM
pltrgyst

I am going to be driving from Paris to Geneva this summer. Has anyone
driven this trip before? What is the most scenic route? Can you
recommend some places to see?

I don't think any other route can compare with the N74 south from Dijon through
all those famous wine-producing villages of Burgundy. We absolutely loved it,
coupled with an excellent lunch in Beaune.

-- Larry

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Mark Fagan

Very true, haven't driven to Geneva, but have in Burgundy. Beaune is great,
but if you want something smaller, Nuits-St.-Georges (try La Cabotte at 24,
Grand rue) is as typical a burgundian wine village as you can get and Gevrey
Chambertin has several restaurants (Rôtisserie du Chambertin [expensive] or
Chez Guy, 3, place de la Mairie). Vosgne-Romanée is more famous for it's
wine but it's REALLY tiny and I'm not even sure if there is a restaurant
there (Michelin doesn't list any).

Old June 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Envo

"Steadylee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi;

I am going to be driving from Paris to Geneva this summer. Has anyone
driven this trip before? What is the most scenic route? Can you
recommend some places to see?

Lee

I like the gorge from Nantua to Bellegarde. See it either from the A40, or,
if you don't have a head for heights, from the N84 down below. From the
latter you can wonder how the engineers managed to get the A40 viaduct to
come straight out of the middle of a cliff face! Construction work at its
aesthetic best!

Envo

Old June 29th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Steadylee

Thanks for the great advise. I will be taking the A40, and certainly
looking for the wine valley.