St. Maartin question

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Sue

Default St. Maartin question

I was wondering if anyone has toured St. Maartin on their own and has any
info on the best way to travel around the island and any "can't miss" sights
to see. Would we be better taking a tour from the ship or have more fun
exploring by ourselves?

Thanks in advance
Sue

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:26 PM
HDawson228

I alway grab a bus on Back St (I think) and go over to the French side. $1.50
ea way. I've sure there are busses to other locations as well. Busses are
very nice, smallish carrying about 25 passengers, reliable and run frequently.
Passengers are all very friendly speaking as they get on. Good way to get a
feel for the local culture.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Roger Clough

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:19:29 GMT, "Sue" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has toured St. Maartin on their own and has any
info on the best way to travel around the island and any "can't miss" sights
to see. Would we be better taking a tour from the ship or have more fun
exploring by ourselves?

Thanks in advance
Sue

Although I haven't done it recently, I have to believe that you could hire a taxi driver
who could take you around the entire island in 2 or 3 hours. I did that once when I was
staying at a time share and that was a good introduction to the island.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Howie

Sue wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has toured St. Maartin on their own and has any
info on the best way to travel around the island and any "can't miss" sights
to see. Would we be better taking a tour from the ship or have more fun
exploring by ourselves?

Thanks in advance
Sue

What do you like to see and do, Sue? Whatever the answer, taxicabs are
a viable option. You can also rent cars at the pier for $45-60.
Whatever you do, DO NOT take a ship's tour.

Howie

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Jester

Our ship landed on the Dutch side. Four of us took a cab to the French
side. It came out to $5.00 per person each way. There are plenty of
available cabs for the return trip also. The beach was incredible. If you
like to shop just stay on the Dutch side. I hear that it is cheaper than
shopping on the French side. There are plenty of cabs and tourist
information on the pier where you will dock. I have a few pictures of St.
Martins & other spots that we went to at
http://jesse.no-ip.org/cruise/cruise.html.

Jesse