ALASKA 6/29

Old November 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default ALASKA 6/29

Brian K wrote:
wrote On 11/10/2009 5:43 PM:
On Nov 10, 1:04 pm, Sue Mullen wrote:

wrote:

Hi All -
It's been a LONG TIME my friends. I have not cruises in a few years,
and I miss you all. But the time has finally come! We are going to
Alaska in June, Carnival Spirit. I have no clue as to much yet about
the Alaska. I am just beginning my research today, and I am starting
with you guys!! We have aft balcony cabins, as always. I have to
research flights to Seattle from NY. I have to research shore
excursions, weather, etc.
PLEASE send me info!!
I am so glad to be back guys!! Anyone want to join and make in another
group cruise??
Charles, Sheree, Sue, are you guys still around??
OXOXO
SHARI

Hi Shari, great seeing you here again!!

Alaska is on our "must do" list, but will probably have to wait untill
Kevin retires.

So what ports does the Carnival spirit go to?

sue

Hi Sue and Becca -
This ship goes to Juneau, Skagway, Kethican, and Victoria, BC, Is
this considered the Inside Passage? What exactly is that?
Thanks for your help - Looking forward to catching up with you all!
SHARI

Outside Victoria, BC a must see is the Butchart Gardens:
http://www.butchartgardens.com/

My cruise stops in Victoria from 7pm until midnight. How long does it
take to get to Butchart Gardens and to see it? I think it's supposed to
get dark around 9:30 when we're there.

Thanks,
Marcia
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:

[...]

Never mind. I just looked and they close at 6pm the day we're there.
Oh well.

Marcia
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:47:46 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

Never mind. I just looked and they close at 6pm the day we're there.
Oh well.

Hi Marcia,

Do not lose hope. Some of the cruise lines make arrangements for the
gardens to be open for their passengers. Have your travel agent check
this out for you.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

wrote:
Hi Sue and Becca -
This ship goes to Juneau, Skagway, Kethican, and Victoria, BC, Is
this considered the Inside Passage? What exactly is that?
Thanks for your help - Looking forward to catching up with you all!
SHARI

In Juneau, we booked a private whale watching tour and it was
wonderful. We saw whales, lots of them. We saw mothers and babies, we
also saw one whale breach out of the water. We were able to see other
wildlife such as harbor seals, a bald eagle. Orca Enterprises is a
short walk from the pier. It is upstairs next to the T-Shirt Factory
(the building also has an elevator).
http://www.ptialaska.net/~whales/orca2.htm

In Skagway, we booked a ship's tour, it was the White Pass & Yukon Route
narrow gauge railway. This tour is a must-do, you will just love it.
Sit on the left side of the train. You do switch positions, but this
way you will be able to see what the narrator is talking about on the
way up. We took some beautiful photos, and a video. The train cars
are heated, it may not be cold in Skagway, but it will be cold and snowy
as you move up the mountains. In some areas, the snow was higher than
the train.

Becca
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:

Never mind. I just looked and they close at 6pm the day we're there.
Oh well.

Hi Marcia,

Do not lose hope. Some of the cruise lines make arrangements for the
gardens to be open for their passengers. Have your travel agent check
this out for you.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/lighthousetravl
Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ray.goldenberg

Good idea, thanks. Is it lit up?

Marcia
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

wrote:

Never mind. *I just looked and they close at 6pm the day we're there..
Oh well.

Hi Marcia,

Do not lose hope. *Some of the cruise lines make arrangements for the
gardens to be open for their passengers. *Have your travel agent check
this out for you.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel *http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Follow us on Twitter *http://twitter.com/lighthousetravl
Follow us on Facebook *http://www.facebook.com/ray.goldenberg

Good idea, thanks. *Is it lit up?

Marcia- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the gardens are lit at night--it's quite lovely. In fact, I note
on their admission page they feature summer evenings by calling them,
"Night Illuminations." You must be cruising in May or one of the early
June dates when the gardens close at 6p. It looks like summer closing
at 10p begins mid-June, but several early June dates will enjoy the
late close time (see the footnote).

http://www.butchartgardens.com/plann...operation.html

Has your shore excursion list been finalized? Maybe there's a
specially arranged tour, as Ray suggested. If not, you might give them
a call just to see if they can suggest anything.

Just FYI for all interested in Butchart Gardens, their fireworks on
July/August Saturday nights are amazing--a different and sort of old
fashioned sort of show, with music, too. Well worth planning around if
you are doing a pre- or post-cruise extension in the area.

Diana
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:
[...]

We'll be there on June 13th. How far are the gardens from the cruise
ships and how long does it take to tour them? We're only in port from 7
til 11:59. That's why I hadn't paid that much attention, but now I will.

Marcia
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sheree

Hi Shari:
I too was off for awhile
we've sailed alaska twice and loved it! we did Orca Enterpriese for whale
watching in juneau boh times and took the bus to the mendenhall glacier.
Skagway: railway is a must
Ketchikan: we fished in the creek, did the salmon hatchery
Victoria: the gardens if you're able
we haven't cruised in awhile. between mike's work and marty's school it's
been tough
I jus booked the new disney dream thoug for april 2011!!
and possibly a cruise next august or wdw
sheree

"Becca" wrote in message
Hi All -
It's been a LONG TIME my friends. I have not cruises in a few years,
and I miss you all. But the time has finally come! We are going to
Alaska in June, Carnival Spirit. I have no clue as to much yet about
the Alaska. I am just beginning my research today, and I am starting
with you guys!! We have aft balcony cabins, as always. I have to
research flights to Seattle from NY. I have to research shore
excursions, weather, etc.
PLEASE send me info!!
I am so glad to be back guys!! Anyone want to join and make in another
group cruise??
Charles, Sheree, Sue, are you guys still around??
OXOXO
SHARI

It is so nice to have you back in the group, Shari, we missed you! :-)
We went to Alaska in May, it was my first cruise to Alaska and I had a
wonderful time. I can not wait to go back. Now, my mother is anxious to
go, so it may be sooner than I think. lol

Tell us where you are going and we can talk about shore excursions, there
is so much to see and do. I was surprised by the amount of daylight
hours, so I was up at 4:30, out on the balcony, taking in the beauty that
is Alaska.

I am so happy for you, and glad to know you are cruising again.

Becca

Old November 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Island Grampa" wrote in message

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

________
Brian M. Kochera
"The poor dog is the firmest of friends, the first to welcome the
foremost to defend" - Lord Byron

View My Web Pages:http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Pagehttp://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/- Hide quoted
text -

And where is Glacier Bay? Thanks so much for everyone's input!

SHARI

Hi Shari

Glacier Bay is just North up the coast from the inlet that takes you to
Skagway. This is a National Park and I believe it is restricted to two or
three ships per day, due to environmental issues.

In my opinion the best Alaska itineraries include Glacier Bay. The BEST
cruise line for viewing Glacier Bay is Holland America, but Princess has
some cruises that include it too.

The Carnival Spirit is a nice ship and your choice of date is GREAT! The
weather should be nice (although it's really unpredictable at any time),
and it's only a week and a half past the summer solstice, so you should
have daylight for 20+ hours per day.

Checking the schedule for the Spirit, June 29, I see you will be doing
Tracy Arm. This itinerary takes you to the double Sawyer glaciers. There
is often too much ice in the channels to get really close to the glaciers,
but it is a delightful day anyhow and I hope it will be a nice sunny day
for you.

We did a similar itinerary last year on May 10 on the Star Princess and we
had a lovely sunny day, but didn't get real close. Have a GREAT cruise.

If you have any more questions, or would like to see my pictures on
Webshots, let me know. We have done 10 or 11 cruises to Alaska on several
different lines.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Hey Tobie!
I agree that Holland America is the best cruise line for viewing Glacier
Bay...By the way isn't it time to book another Alaska cruise? Loved the
one leaving from Seward on the Ryndam when we joined you and Barb. After
five cruises to Alaska it still remains one of my favorite destinations!
Shari, you will love Alaska! Have a wonderful cruise!

--Jean

Old November 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

[...]

Yep, that was a good cruise (on the Volendam). And the Crown Royal we
bought on the first week, and had in our cabin the second week, really came
in handy too.

We might look for a good last minute price on another B 2 B Alaska next
summer.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific