Oasis of the Seas - Too large for me!

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sherlock1

Default Oasis of the Seas - Too large for me!

I agree with the posters on this list the Oasis of the Seas is too large. I
prefer medium sizes ships like Azamara, Oceania, Regent, and Crystal.

Now, I may be prejudiced as I have sailed on a **very** large ship, although
not as large of the OOTS, but with almost as many people. It was an
interesting and long cruise in South East Asia, but not very luxurious or
relaxing.

Why?

1. Decor - Boring. Essentially all vertical surfaces, inside and out, and
lots of other things were gray - haze gray.

2. Deck Space and Public Spaces - Large, but useless. Lots of deck space on
the top deck, but with airplanes taking off and landing. A very big public
space one deck down, probably larger that OOTS, but filled with airplanes,
helicopters, and equipment for their repair.

3. Shore Excursions -- Poor, but free. Only a few hundred of the 6,000+
people aboard could go on Shore Excursions, myself not included, and the
excursions were very short, almost a "fly by."

OTOH, I got to know a lot about Nuclear Ship Propulsion Systems and they let
me drive from time to time.

Old November 1st, 2009, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"sherlock1" wrote in message

2. Deck Space and Public Spaces - Large, but useless. Lots of deck space
on the top deck, but with airplanes taking off and landing. A very big
public space one deck down, probably larger that OOTS, but filled with
airplanes, helicopters, and equipment for their repair.

The QM2 has a helipad in the middle of the upper deck... but I have a
feeling the upper deck on your ship was bigger... and busier...

--Tom

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

sherlock1 wrote On 10/31/2009 11:52 PM:
[...]

A comparison of apples and oranges if you consider that OOTS is a luxury
cruise ship and the above mentioned was an aircraft carrier. There
really is no comparison. I read a review of Oasis which stated that
public spaces and ship areas are divided into "neighborhoods" giving the
ship a more intimate feel.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Brian K" wrote in message
news

A comparison of apples and oranges if you consider that OOTS is a luxury
cruise ship and the above mentioned was an aircraft carrier. There really
is no comparison. I read a review of Oasis which stated that public
spaces and ship areas are divided into "neighborhoods" giving the ship a
more intimate feel.

From what I've seen on TV, the sleeping bunks on aircraft carriers are
pretty intimate feeling too...

--Tom

Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Tom K wrote On 11/2/2009 8:38 AM:
"Brian K" wrote in message
news
A comparison of apples and oranges if you consider that OOTS is a luxury
cruise ship and the above mentioned was an aircraft carrier. There really
is no comparison. I read a review of Oasis which stated that public
spaces and ship areas are divided into "neighborhoods" giving the ship a
more intimate feel.

From what I've seen on TV, the sleeping bunks on aircraft carriers are
pretty intimate feeling too...

--Tom

Maybe that's why "The Village People" recorded "In The Navy". ;-)

--
________

Old November 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "sherlock1" :

[...]

4. Food was horrible. Plentiful, but horrible. The eggs were always
scrambled and runny, almost as if they were poured out of a carton.

5. The on deck entertainment was just too darned loud. Lots of pretty
lights and the choreography was fantastic.

OTOH, I got to know a lot about Nuclear Ship Propulsion Systems and they let
me drive from time to time.

I've seen two t-shirts you can appreciate. One I bought for a friend,
the other I saw on a guy at Disneyworld.

For Jerry: "Join the Army, learn a trade. So I became a sniper"

The WDW one: "Join the Navy, see the world. SSBN 57" (I think that's
right. The Ohio?)
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Always shoot first. At the very least you'll
distract the guy enough to make the second one count"
-- Lazurus Long
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Dillon Pyron :

[...]

A few more t-shirts, which I have.

".308 holes make invisible souls"

".50 BMG, really reach out and touch someone"

One that came out at the start of Desert Storm

An arabic dressed person on a camel, in cross hairs

"I'd fly 10,000 miles to smoke a camel"

And another at WDW

"As a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist --- JPL"

On I've looked for for one of the docs I worked with this summer

"As a matter of fact, I am a brain surgeon"

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Dillon Pyron wrote On 11/6/2009 12:57 PM:
[...]

Here's a classic one I saw on a friend returning from Poland: "I'm with
Stupid" but instead of the arrow pointing to the right it pointed UP!

--
________

Old November 16th, 2009, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

[...]

I think you can find it on Think Geek.

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Dillon Pyron wrote On 11/15/2009 10:14 PM:
[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

[...]

I also found one on a Jeff Foxworthy DVD, where he does his "You might
be a redneck, if..." riffs.

--
________